Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94934

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Freezin wrote: perception is a curious thing 42....what is obvious to one, not so to others.....I wonder if those free kicks were going SD way, would any of this discussion make the light of day.

Freezin I just want free kicks paid up one end to one team to be paid up the other end to the other team.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94935

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2017

swan42 wrote:

mikeh wrote:

Senior Seagull wrote:

mikeh wrote: I was in Melbourne for the weekend so I missed the game. Looking at the write ups it sounds like it was a step forward for the boys and certainly they got more reward for effort than they did last week. Hopefully Rudy did enough to get an extended run in the team, sounds like Faulkner played a great game. They need to take that improvement to the Showgrounds for the next challenge.

If the crowd listed in the West Australian (850) is accurate, that is very poor even though the weather was not the best I believe. There has been very little atmosphere at any games at Bassendean this year and you would have to conclude that many Swans supporters have just stopped going. I still think it is a malaise that has struck the WAFL in general though rather than just Swans.

As for the umpiring I agree with Dwert that confronting the umpires at half time achieves nothing and only serves to stir up already upset supporters. There are official channels that coaches can use and Harding should be on the phone to the Umpires boss today.

My question however is whether the AFL rule of a player deliberately ducking the head being deemed to be holding the ball applies in the WAFL competition? Hams and Schloithe have been accused by opposition supporters of being duckers for a number of seasons and surely the umpires would have discussed these guys style of play and paid free kicks accordingly if this rule if fact exists in the WAFL. Then again I was at the Collingwood v Geelong game at the MCG on Saturday and Joel Selwood still manages to get a lot of high tackle free kicks despite that rule.

Mike, I see the difference between what say Sellwood & Shuey do which is to keep the head up and back straight but bend the knees and flex the upper arms & shoulders to gain high contact as against the Souths boys simply ducking the head into the tackler. Big difference in my opinion and a blight on the game. As TOSG mentioned on this or another thread, it's inevitable that these boys will eventually get badly polaxed and get a nasty injury which will be of their own making. Also if the Swans people are not happy with their free kicks go look at Subi's free kick stats for the season so far, bit of an eye opener. In saying that when the count goes south we usually win but when it's close like against EF & WP we get done .... go figure.

I know that some of the Swans supporters on here would disagree but my personal view is that umpiring has a mimimal impact on the result of the vast majority of games. I think Subiaco's negative count proves that generally the better team on the day wins despite the decisions that go for and against it.

Also in nearly all games umpires make a lot less mistakes than players. Umpires decisions are also scrutinised by a coaching panel and I'm sure that any deliberate bias against a particular team would not be tolerated and the Umpire would not be around for long.

What perplexes me is why the umpires have not worked out what these two players are doing and agree on an approach of giving a holding the ball decision if they think that they are ducking. This may then force Hams and Schloithe to amend their approach if they are conceding free kicks to the opposition.

Mikeh it is a completely spurious argument saying that umpires make fewer mistakes than players. The problem is that with very few exceptions there appears to be no repercussions for bad performances by an umpire. The one possible exception is R Shelton. How many times is he relegated to the reserves after umpiring a match featuring Swans?

Also, it would make very interesting reading a breakdown of when and where Swans get their free kicks. It seems to be amazing the numbers of free kicks we get in the latter half of matches where the result has been settled. Conversely there is a dearth of frees when the match's result is in doubt. For example, in the match against Perth earlier this year in the last quarter it was 9 free kicks to Perth and 2 to us and the second free was awarded in the 23rd minute of the quarter.

Finally on an extremely wet day how could any umpire give a deliberate out of bounds on the wing when the player in question was within two feet of the boundary line when the ball slips out of the player's hands?

What are you suggesting? That there is some sort of vendetta by the umpires against Swans? I would find that very hard to believe. Maybe it might be better for Harding and his coaching panel to meet with the umpiring department to discuss why Swans are conceding these free kicks. If BH is correct and they have tried but have been denied such a meeting then I would join with you in condemning them as no one should be above criticism and feedback in this game.

As for the deliberate out of bounds, I didn't see the incident you refer to but my view is that this rule has been overused in general by umpires this season to the extent that they often penalise a poor kick by a player which skews out of bounds which is often not intentional. The opposition often will let it roll out as well when in normal circumstances they could retrieve the ball, in the expectation that they will be paid a free kick.

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94938

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Mikeh it just seems to me to be a remarkable coincidence that we seem to get a majority of our free kicks in either our backline or at the death knell of a match on a consistent basis.

When did you last see GH send out the captain to speak to the umpires at halftime?

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94940

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2017

swan42 wrote: Mikeh it just seems to me to be a remarkable coincidence that we seem to get a majority of our free kicks in either our backline or at the death knell of a match on a consistent basis.

When did you last see GH send out the captain to speak to the umpires at halftime?

No its not a common occurrence but I still question the effectiveness of it. It just ramps up the emotions in a game and may encourage some drop kick ( they exist at every club) to have a physical crack at the umpires. We don't want to see that as when it is all boiled down it is just a game and the umpires are doing a tough job.
If Swans are genuinely concerned about the way they are being treated by officials the management of the club should make a formal submission to the WAFC.

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94945

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Beasley Hutton wrote: I do believe Dwert the SD football department went through the right channels and tried before to have a meeting with the WAFL umpiring department about some "interesting" umpiring decisions paid against us after viewing damning down the ground footage but were not even given the time of day, so it was inevitable that frustrations were going to come to head on the ground at some point!

Exactly mate I remember this vividly, and the person telling us this in conversation after the colts Flag win 2yrs ago was flabbergasted they didnt want to view that damning footage from the 2014 First semi where we were absolutely crucified!
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94947

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Looking at the stats on the back door of the dunny, I noticed in that 2014 1st semi the free kick tally was SD 19 - EF 18....with SD up n dominating the game at 3/4 time by 5 odd goals.....then EF kicked 9 from vague memory to win the game with a 100 goal breeze behind them........no doubt I am in the wrong here, but seems to me it was Mother Natures fault not the umps Swandog.......amazing to think a team can win a game playing only 10 mins of footy...as EF hit the lead at the 10 min mark of the last.....flabbergasting to say the least....

Last edit: by Freezin.

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94958

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Grassy, EF only had two more scoring shots than SD kicking with the gale....just kicked better 9.2 compared to SD 4.5.....not the umps fault TBH.....if SD got raped by the umps that day and were ahead 19/18 in the free kick, how far behind were EF at 3/4 time with the free's then....sounds like EF got a bucket load in the last to win the game then.....just don't know what Swandog is getting at here that's all.....

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94966

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Grassy wrote: Swans didn't use the Gale that well in the 3rd Quarter,which didn't help,Freeze.

The ducking and diving tactics of McGough and O`Brien were a big focus amongst other things and the umps depo didn't want it highlighted to them in clear footage down the ground obviously, as 42 has eluded the final kick tally means nothing, there should be a way to track the kick tally at various points in the game and where kicks are paid, that would be more relevant!
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94980

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
yeah but SD were ahead by 5 goals at 3/4 time, so any advantage EF got through the umps,certainly wasn't obvious on the scoreboard and unless EF majority of their 18 free kicks in the last quarter, still not sure where SD were robbed....I thought SD youngsters ran out of gas and EF more experienced campaigners ran over the top of them with a gale blowing behind them....

I know you don't want to engage Swandog, because I am a trolling again, but you come out with a statement like SD got reamed by the umps in the 2014 1st semi and yet the facts show quite clearly SD dominated EF for 3/4 and got more free kicks than EF.... yet lost?...how were the umps to blame?

Swans V Doggies 7 years 11 months ago #94995

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374

Freezin wrote: yeah but SD were ahead by 5 goals at 3/4 time, so any advantage EF got through the umps,certainly wasn't obvious on the scoreboard and unless EF majority of their 18 free kicks in the last quarter, still not sure where SD were robbed....I thought SD youngsters ran out of gas and EF more experienced campaigners ran over the top of them with a gale blowing behind them....

I know you don't want to engage Swandog, because I am a trolling again, but you come out with a statement like SD got reamed by the umps in the 2014 1st semi and yet the facts show quite clearly SD dominated EF for 3/4 and got more free kicks than EF.... yet lost?...how were the umps to blame?

EF set up that win with a tactically brilliant 3rd qtr. No doubt Swans ran outta legs in the last quarter and were left floundering in the last 15 mins of the game with no run left to halt the carnage. You could see it in our players eyes and body language as they came to the bench during the last that they had run out of bullets and were beaten, fair and square by a side that should have played off for the GF and would have been a great chance if they'd have made it.

Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 1807 guests and one member online

• Jicca

Newest Footy Recruits

• AbrahamErype
  • whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric