Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114239

• personal demon
  • personal demon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
That time of the year to put the team down on paper. I try to upbeat, and hate the idea of being unnecessarily down on the team. But I have to say this is a Kristian Cary project. I had NO trouble finding a first 22. But that's the problem I didn't have to wrestle with leaving ANYONE out.

So here it is (from the back line):

J. Irons - L. Marlin - D. Johnston
M. Sinclair - B. Latch - J. Jacobs
L. McKenna - C. Jones - C. Leggett
T. Etto - S. White - K. Cary
B. Stack - C. Eyres - C. Walley

A. Graham - B. College - A. Tropiano

Bench: R. Polak - K. Chester - M. Jones - S. Garstone

These are the unknowns: Giblett, Punch, Ninyette, Pattison, Vaughan, Jonstone, Johnson, Scotney, Morrisey, Kickett, Leonard, Henderson, Bryne, McGillivray, Nicholas, hill, Bility, Moran, Chivers, Narrier, Roe.

"Depth": Keast, Thompson, Piggott, Brooke's, Stevenson, Payne, Boyes, Fleay, Edmonds, Walley, Millar, Piggott.

I'd say: no depth, no room for injury (Bell out for the season for eg.), smallish backline, a forward line with more hope than reliability, super midfield but a touch small, ruck stock reliant on Graham.

No need to pile on the pessimism. Maybe point out where I might be wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114245

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
I have heard we have roughly 25 injuries ATM.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114291

• 30plusyeardrought
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 102
PD,The problem I have with your team is that it is not much different to the 2016 team that finished 8th.
I'm not sure what other recruits we have other than Colledge but I'd like to think that those players will be in our best 22.

The forward line you named is not that flash (sorry) Walley for mine is to inconsistent and is a depth player only.
Etto is flashy but also way to inconsistent.
Eyes is no forward and if he is in form he will have to be our 2nd ruck.
I would like to see Garstone at Chf and White at FF.

Our lack of goal kicking power will once again be our weakest area,something we have struggled with for many many years.

I can't see at this point looking at what Spalding has at his disposal 2017 being much different to past seasons.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114305

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 133
Brent Edmonds definitely in the starting line up. Garstone or Leggett at FF instead of Eyers. Jacobs wont be ready as he only started training about 3 weeks ago I think.

I see what 30+ is saying in that the team looks very similar but I reckon Spencer White and Jarrod Irons could almost be counted as two new players as White only played the first 3 and last 4 (or so) and Irons only played the last 4 or 5 I think (most of them in the ressies).

I also think that players such as White, Gus, Cary and Etto will be much more in tune with WAFL footy.

Continued improvement from locals Leggart, Garstone and Marlin along with the above mentioned and no one falling off the pace may produce something.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Demon Strate

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114306

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
If we are picking a squad without any injuries this is what I think it could look like.

J. Bell - C. Giblett - L. Marlin
M. Sinclair - B. Latch - D. McFarlane
L. McKenna - A Tropiano - J Jacobs
B. Stack - S White - C Leggett
J. Ninyette - S Garstone - C. Eyres

A. Graham - B. Colledge - C. Jones

I've heard around the club that he has shown some good signs. He is the only one with genuine height down back, I think he is 195-196 cm. McFarlane's kicking a real strength with someone from the club saying that he would easily be in our top 2-3 at the club for kicking ability. Haven't seen him play yet but if this turns out to be true then someone with that skill level coming off a half back would be handy. Might limit the turnovers.

The midfield stays pretty much the same with the only addition Brandt Colledge.

Up forward I think Stack should be pushed up to a half forward line. Let him run around and get some early touches instead of being stuck deep near the goal square. We all know the quality that he possesses but I reckon that if he can get his hands on the ball early his confidence increases. In my opinion he is very much a confidence player.

I thought Ninyette showed a bit last season when exposed at league level. Would like to see him given first chance at making that small crumbing forward spot his own.

Prefer Spencer at CHF with Garstone deep and as I said the other day Eyresy seems to be moving really well at the moments so he starts in a pocket as the resting ruckman.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114308

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
One thing that I think will count against us is if we get injuries then our depth isn't that strong. Hopefully there's some kids that can surprise us.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114310

• personal demon
  • personal demon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks Mr Afl. I'm glad to hear that you'd have Edmonds in the starting lineup. Earl mentioned 2 young guys in Roe and Narriter in his article. Last named in my 22 was Walley. I really like the guy but he hasn't been consistent. MacFarlane I don't know much about. Is he a recruit or a colt? I've heard one or two things about our colts and would be interested whether there's anymore colts from last year who could step up. I thought Jacobs came back back pretty fit??? He was one of our best last year. I'll agree to your knowledge about Eyres. I just remember Earl talking about turning him into a forward. But perhaps Garstone is the man. I think we have to get Spencer into the game if he is fit. So prefer him at CHF. Hope you're right about Giblett. A strong back man would be handy. The problem with a guy like Leggett is that we need 2 or 3 of him. Of course Bell goes straight into that team. College had surgery before Christmas but haven't heard how he's travelling. Obviously those 25 injuries are varied. Be interesting to see who lines up against Peel. I expect we will see some of those ex-colts.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114311

• Demon Strate
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Can anyone confirm that Irons is still at the club ? Has he played in the Scratch Matches ?

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114810

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Grassy wrote:

Mr AFL wrote: I have heard we have roughly 25 injuries ATM.

With Apologies to George Burns and friends,....

Oh God,You Devil!

:pinch: :evil: :sick: :silly: :woohoo:

Yep not good. Hopefully most of them are only short term. We don't have the depth to cover 5-6 long term injuries.

First Round 2017 7 years 2 months ago #114867

• KCEF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Wow- even though only a practice game- thats not ideal. Who wasn't playing, Grassy? And how many Dockers in the Peel line up? And losing to perennial cellar dwellers in the 2's isn't ideal either. Long year for you, I think

Moderators: Dazzler

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 474 guests and 6 members online

• Success Hill
  • Quackhead
  • Southerner
  • Blackduck
  • GarlicBreath

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma