Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167168

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Success Hill wrote:

gtrxuone wrote: Success Hill do you remember round 9 1979.East Perth v Swans at Perth Oval.12,380 at the match and the first time SD had beaten the Royals since 1974.Simon Beasley had a day out and was best on ground...18-12 V 14-12...

gtrxuone. There were two games in 1979 suggesting that Swans were leading somewhere big - the win at Leederville near the end of the first round, and this win at Perth Oval. Remember them well, with the Leederville win the first game where many took note of Neesham's influence on the game, while K. Narkle's last quarter on one leg and resting in the forward line was outstanding. The EP game I do not remember for Beasley having the blinder you suggest - but I might be wrong. I do remember it being controversial, with Spencer, Hayes and Robertson all carted from the ground after hard hits. With the dust hardly settled from the Boucher/Rosbender incident, the media had a field day all the following week, describing Swans as a dirty team. Beasley was involved in one, sinking his knee into his opposite number's back while flying for a mark. If I remember correctly, Robertson had to be stretched off. It was also the game where Tommy Thorne - who had played in 1978 I think - took a few screamers and kicked 6? However, as you'd know, wins at Perth and Leederville Ovals are rare, but the Perth Oval win over the reigning premiers was a beauty.

Thanks for the reply Success Hill.Can remember Beasley name being famous with that game.Taking Robinson out.Tom Thorne looked like a superstar and disappeared at the end of 79.A few years later ended up in the Sanfl.That Boucher-Rosbender was a fight behind the play.Swans beat Perth at Lathlain by 4 points early in the 79 season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167175

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2017

gtrxuone wrote:

Success Hill wrote:

gtrxuone wrote: Success Hill do you remember round 9 1979.East Perth v Swans at Perth Oval.12,380 at the match and the first time SD had beaten the Royals since 1974.Simon Beasley had a day out and was best on ground...18-12 V 14-12...

gtrxuone. There were two games in 1979 suggesting that Swans were leading somewhere big - the win at Leederville near the end of the first round, and this win at Perth Oval. Remember them well, with the Leederville win the first game where many took note of Neesham's influence on the game, while K. Narkle's last quarter on one leg and resting in the forward line was outstanding. The EP game I do not remember for Beasley having the blinder you suggest - but I might be wrong. I do remember it being controversial, with Spencer, Hayes and Robertson all carted from the ground after hard hits. With the dust hardly settled from the Boucher/Rosbender incident, the media had a field day all the following week, describing Swans as a dirty team. Beasley was involved in one, sinking his knee into his opposite number's back while flying for a mark. If I remember correctly, Robertson had to be stretched off. It was also the game where Tommy Thorne - who had played in 1978 I think - took a few screamers and kicked 6? However, as you'd know, wins at Perth and Leederville Ovals are rare, but the Perth Oval win over the reigning premiers was a beauty.

Thanks for the reply Success Hill.Can remember Beasley name being famous with that game.Taking Robinson out.Tom Thorne looked like a superstar and disappeared at the end of 79.A few years later ended up in the Sanfl.That Boucher-Rosbender was a fight behind the play.Swans beat Perth at Lathlain by 4 points early in the 79 season.

Don't think he was around in 1979 but Peter Ware was one of my favourite players in that early 80's era. I think he was from Thursday Island. He was just a ripper to watch with his pace, marking ability and ball skills.

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167179

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Viper wrote: I got sent this today. Can’t remember ever seeing scores this high in the AFL. Swans V Subi would have been phenomenal to watch!!

That pic I actually took from my 1979 Register and then I posted it on my Lost WAFL Facebook page
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167182

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Swandog wrote:

Viper wrote: I got sent this today. Can’t remember ever seeing scores this high in the AFL. Swans V Subi would have been phenomenal to watch!!

That pic I actually took from my 1979 Register and then I posted it on my Lost WAFL Facebook page

Swandog there was a famous mark taken by Ken Hunter in 1979.At Bassendean oval.His legs where on Tom Thorpe's shoulders.

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167390

• Viper
  • Viper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 59

Swandog wrote:

Well SD, you'll be happy to know it made its way to Mark Olsen who has been happily sending it on to at least the family and no doubt friends. Did you post the picutre of him in his WA jumper? I got that as well.

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167393

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Besides Mark Olsen's bag of 13 goals the next best was Ian Williams with 6 majors.
Williams was a talent who knew where the goals were but he unfortunately missed the 3 Premierships as he went East to Footscray in those seasons and from memory missed the 1980 GF with injury as well but he could play but was unlucky with injury as I believe a knee ended his WAFL career in 1986 on his return from the East too.

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167395

• Viper
  • Viper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 59
yes it did the poor bugger. Unfortunately knee ops back then meant removing shit instead of today's procedures and they ruined his knees. I'm sure plenty of others in the same boat.

which foot Williams as no one knew what his preferred foot was.

Was my very first senior coach and a remarkable football player. Coached and played local footy until about 1998 i think was his last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

1979 clip 4 years 11 months ago #167398

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1195
Mike Smith & Iain Williams were two very gifted players that Toddy found & nurtured - match winning midfielders who in a horrible twist of footy fate copped nasty knee injuries that pretty much ended their days
Then Toddy found another one in Bunbury named Leon Baker who went on to very big things in Vicco
Mike Smith would have been the best of all three if not for that terrible knee
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by Southerner.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 315 guests and 3 members online

• chaddy22
  • Lathlain lad
  • Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag