Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46281

• Cardy
  • Cardy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Interesting article in WEST that apparently was leaked. WAFC not happy. Here is the link but have put it in full below in case it disappears.

Source West Australian

click on this link

au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/2...-fume-over-pay-leak/

So one of the top 4 they say. Depending on when this document was written WP could be included and not EF as this could of been written before EF got into 4?

A couple of points that irritate me are:

AFL-aligned clubs East Perth and Peel have a salary cap of $182,000 this year. For the other seven clubs, the cap is $280,000.

Ok so the WAFL G7 Clubs have a bit more than the 2 AFL associated clubs but remember the aligned clubs have the full list of AFL players on their list to use as they wish and it can be up to 10 players plus each week. These players are not included in their SALARY CAP... Yet the income for these players would be in excess of 100,000 dollars and more (have not worked the exact figure out)
Plus they are AFL listed players and would be on the highest point system per player taking EP and Peel well over the Points allocation allowed to clubs.
If Pavlich played for Peel in theory they would have a million dollar player in their side :( to be hypothetical.

If you can understand my argument EP and Peel are getting preferential treatment and have $182000 to use on also rans or players taken to make up the side to fill the gap between True WAFL players and their AFL counterparts. Not bad :(

Another case of an uneven playing field and another nail in the Coffin for the WAFL Competition.

And now we have the WAFC/WAFL hitting a WAFL club for breach of Salary cap when EP and Peel WHO ARE IN THE WAFL can use players well exceeding the salary cap BUT IT IS NOT COUNTED as the Fremantle and West Coast clubs pay there salaries ;)

Lets not forget the AFL clubs are most probably paying for the Support staff and possibly the coach and other costs which takes a Huge financial burden off Peel and EP B) WAFL G7 clubs dont have this luxury

I suspect a lot of WAFL supporters will leave the fold over the next couple of years because their Club is just making up the number and they will lose interest and move on to other activities.... There goes a lot of money from the G7 clubs as well in membership fee's.

And the list goes on...

Full article reprinted

WAFL clubs are furious at a WA Football Commission leak that has seen all official payments to league players this season disclosed to every other club.

And it is understood the payments show that at least one top-four club is on track to exceed the salary cap this year and may be forced to drop players to avoid a substantial breach.

The confidential payment details were contained in an email accidently sent to all clubs this month.

"It shows every club, every player, every game and every payment," a WAFL official said.

"Every cent of every player payment has been revealed to every other club."

Clubs have been gagged, with the commission calling in a major Perth legal firm to draft a confidentiality agreement. Several clubs have refused to sign the document and told _The Weekend West _ it was irrelevant once the financial details were exposed.

Commission chief executive Gary Walton insisted the leak had not done any damage to the standing of the competition or the confidence of the clubs.

"I don't believe any damage has been done because we acted very quickly and put the right processes in place to resolve the fact that the email went out," Walton said.

"I won't go into the how, who and why but in my mind the matter has been dealt with."

The spreadsheet sent to the clubs revealed all official payments made to about 260 league players nearly halfway into the season.

Some clubs have been able to use the information to extrapolate how much players would be paid for the entire season and whether the payments would push clubs over the salary cap.

AFL-aligned clubs East Perth and Peel have a salary cap of $182,000 this year. For the other seven clubs, the cap is $280,000.

No club was prepared to reveal individual payments but several said the leak could put at risk the players' confidence in the league and had the potential to create significant disharmony within clubs.

"There are very good reasons that player payments are kept confidential, especially within clubs," an official said. "We all hope that this information does not make its way through to the players but there is obviously a risk that this could occur."

WAFL clubs are required to supply weekly player payment reports to the commission, with a mid-season update required on June 30 when projected payments are balanced against those already paid.

A club's annual total player payment schedule must be lodged by November 1.

The leaked spreadsheet is understood to be a summary of all weekly payments as well as approved extras such as injury payments and sign-on fees.

Clubs can incur substantial penalties for late lodgement or erroneous player payment entries.

Swan Districts were fined $10,000 last year for a series of salary cap breaches in 2011 and West Perth were fined $5000 for an accounting error in their 2012 return.

Under the WAFL's new salary cap rules, a club can be fined up to $50,000, lose up to 16 premiership points and up to 20 player-list points for a first offence.

The leak comes only a few months after a significant restructure of the commission.
This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cardy.

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46289

• Barney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Pavlich or any other million dollar player playing in the WAFL? Will never happen.

As for the players they get, most I wouldn't have at Subi. McInness wouldn't get a reserves game if he wasn't on an AFL list.

The only question I had about the incident in the article is how the hell can a team that did no off season recruiting be 20% over the salary cap?

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46293

• Cardy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Barny my comment on Pavlich was hypothetical to give the most extreme example. I did say that!

More on the Salary cap... this is a bit dated but gives an example. Of course some clubs in the AFL havent got the money so cant use it anyway. The AFL is bringing in an equalisation plan so these clubs will be given money to help them out!

The salary cap will go up by roughly $500,000 to more than $10 million in 2015, with the league and player union agreeing on a 5 per cent pay increase.

Interesting to see the VFL cap is $300,000 must make it hard for the Non Affiliated clubs to compete with the Affiliated clubs in Victoria.. Yet saying that they dont do to bad. Pretty sure Williamstown no affiliated yet always are up there.
Box Hill on the other hand affiliated with Hawthorn have yet to be beaten and WON the 2013 GF. :(

It is pretty much a certainity that EP will win the WAFL GF this year or at least compete in the GF... NOT ON THEIR OWN MERIT :blush:

click on image for larger size

LINK

Here is a very good link that explains the Salary Cap in detail. Has the image above as well... Well worth a read.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_salary_cap
Attachments:

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46301

• Larry Bird
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 78
The club tracking well over the salary cap starts with the letter before T. Yes this does seem unfair Cardy but I feel you are just pointing out the bleeding obvious. Have you just become aware of the way the salary cap works and the fact AFL listed players are outside this cap. Claremont and EF have had a big list of AFL players for years and a full salary cap just to make matters worse. This alignment is very unfair but seriously the system before was laughable too stuck in a time warp.

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46302

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
so Swans are tracking over the cap ?

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46305

• Larry Bird
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Two teams in the four starting with S.

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46308

• Cardy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Larry Bird wrote: The club tracking well over the salary cap starts with the letter before T. Yes this does seem unfair Cardy but I feel you are just pointing out the bleeding obvious. Have you just become aware of the way the salary cap works and the fact AFL listed players are outside this cap. Claremont and EF have had a big list of AFL players for years and a full salary cap just to make matters worse. This alignment is very unfair but seriously the system before was laughable too stuck in a time warp.

Larry just to pick you up on EF and CLA with the host arrangement. Most of the players came through their junior systems and were drafted from their club.
So why shouldnt they reap the rewards for their outlay and development. Ok once a player is drafted and plays it is another income for the clubs as well but we all know that? If the player wasnt drafted HE WOULD STILL PLAY FOR HIS CLUB in the WAFL anyway so whats the difference.
The unfortunate thing is those players when playing in a WA AFL club do not come back to their club of origin but go to EP and Peel. :(

Now we look at 2013 and see that CLA nor EF played in the GF? So there goes your theory about sides being stacked under the Host system! Ok CLA got a couple previous to that but EF got into one GF and lost (fark a 9 goal start didnt help)

As for the salary cap if you read my post properly you will see I have said the AFL players playing for their Associated side are outside the salary cap and that is logical and part of the alignment model otherwise it would work for Obvious reasons.

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46310

• Larry Bird
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Absolutely agree most through their junior system and that is the problem. They had a massive advantage in this regard over the other WAFL clubs in a ready supply of AFL talent. Not to mention the draft monies received. An unfair system in my opinion which contributed to the situation clubs are in.

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46311

• Jimmy Boag
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As of the current alignment coming into force in 2014 I no longer have a problem with non-aligned clubs "exceeding/cheating/breaching" the "salary cap". For example, everyone who follows the WAFL and has business contacts knows that there are two players at one aligned club that are not on the aligned AFL club's list that equal/take up the $182,000 salary cap. Given that club has averaged 14 AFL listed players, that leaves 6 players (after the 2 players) who play for nothing......mmmmmmmmmmmm....aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh gotta luv the cash economy!! :evil:

SALARY CAP BREACH 2014 9 years 10 months ago #46313

• Cardy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Now back to my point if you look at the chart in my original post the average player payment for a AFL play under the cap is $250,000 Per player B) and EP and Peel have up to 10-15 PLAYERS in each game they play in the WAFL. So do your sums
$250,000 x 15

The G7 clubs have 280,000 for their total team

Yet the WAFC/WAFL are quick to pounce on the G7 clubs if the go over whereas EP and Peel basically have open slather.
They have to look at the Salary cap and sort it out. Ok making it more wont really help the G7 WAFL clubs any better off because they havent got the money anyway :(

Dare I suggest the WAFC aka AFL :) put more into the WAFL G7 clubs.
Dont worry about the other 2 as they are on a Free ride with Fremantle and WC paying the bills

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 568 guests and 13 members online

• mikeh
  • Freezin
  • The_Duck
  • Shark Tragic
  • chaddy22
  • Cesspit
  • Dirty Weekender
  • gtrxuone