Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164212

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 839
Pretty sad for Harley who is undoubtedly a very gifted footballer. First time I saw him play in the flesh was a couple of years ago down at Centrelink park playing for Peel v Subi, he was coming off another injury and was restricted to playing 4 half quarters, he put on an absolute clinic kicked 4 goals and had over 20 disposals in half game time against a top shelf team. Unfortunately that game was where he badly tore his calf in an accidental collision with Scotty Hancock late in the last qtr, Scotty ended up doing an acl. That was the beginning of the end for Harley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164596

• BC
  • BC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
I saw the interview with Peter Bell where he said he wouldn't rule out offering Bennell another contract based on the work he's put in so far this year....fmd...what parallel universe are these guys on? for mine, Harley is mentally and physically cooked as a result of his ongoing injury issues and can't see any way he can play AFL footy on a regular basis ever again....it's a shame as he's a real talent but that's the way it is.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164598

• Tiger of old
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 230
Bell is just giving the politically correct answer Bc

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164599

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

BC wrote: I saw the interview with Peter Bell where he said he wouldn't rule out offering Bennell another contract based on the work he's put in so far this year....fmd...what parallel universe are these guys on? for mine, Harley is mentally and physically cooked as a result of his ongoing injury issues and can't see any way he can play AFL footy on a regular basis ever again....it's a shame as he's a real talent but that's the way it is.

This is really tricky for Freo BC.Have to very very careful about what they say+do.Going back to last year and what happened to the former Docker.With off field insodents.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164602

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

gtrxuone wrote:

BC wrote: I saw the interview with Peter Bell where he said he wouldn't rule out offering Bennell another contract based on the work he's put in so far this year....fmd...what parallel universe are these guys on? for mine, Harley is mentally and physically cooked as a result of his ongoing injury issues and can't see any way he can play AFL footy on a regular basis ever again....it's a shame as he's a real talent but that's the way it is.

This is really tricky for Freo BC.Have to very very careful about what they say+do.Going back to last year and what happened to the former Docker.With off field insodents.

That is exactly the reason why he wasnt given the flick after last season GTR as they have seen first hand what unfortunately happened to another ex player in a similar boat to HB!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164604

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I hear what you're saying and without trivialising player welfare... at the end of the day footy is a business and list management decisions shouldn't be influenced by what may or may not happen if a player is given the flick. I'm sure all clubs have support processes in place to assist in the transition of players out of the AFL environment. I'm more inclined to agree with ToOl in that Bell was just being diplomatic and hedging his bets. I'm sure if HB doesn't make the grade this season he'll be cut adrift. As I say, it's a shame as he's obviously very talented but that's just the way footy is these days.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164608

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Beasley Hutton wrote:

gtrxuone wrote:

That is exactly the reason why he wasnt given the flick after last season GTR as they have seen first hand what unfortunately happened to another ex player in a similar boat to HB!

YeP.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164618

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109
[quote="gtrxuone"
This is really tricky for Freo BC.Have to very very careful about what they say+do.Going back to last year and what happened to the former Docker.With off field insodents.[/quote]That is exactly the reason why he wasnt given the flick after last season GTR as they have seen first hand what unfortunately happened to another ex player in a similar boat to HB![/quote]
YeP.[/quote]
Just how long is a club expected to keep a player in cotton wool? Surely a player musat accept some responsibility for his actions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164628

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357

Leather Stops wrote: [quote="gtrxuone"

That is exactly the reason why he wasnt given the flick after last season GTR as they have seen first hand what unfortunately happened to another ex player in a similar boat to HB![/quote]
YeP.[/quote]
Just how long is a club expected to keep a player in cotton wool? Surely a player musat accept some responsibility for his actions.[/quote]
So what actions is he responsible for that causes calf muscle tears? As far as I know the only thing he did wrong off the field was being denied boarding a plane because of being intoxicated, which he complied with without resistance and this was just after tearing his calf after a long period of rehabilitation.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Harley Bennell 5 years 1 month ago #164631

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Agree in part DD...he can't be held responsible for his body failing to keep up with the rigours of AFL footy especially as it sounds like he's ticking every box as he tries to recover....his ongoing calf issues are just an unfortunate fact of life and don't think he'll ever get through them which is a shame. as for his off-field indiscretions, he was also thrown out of a Freo nightclub intoxicated and was sanctioned by the club for interfering with his cousin at quarter time of a WAFL match I think it was....no big deal in isolation but coupled all together starts to paint a picture of a young man with issues.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 336 guests and one member online

• Success Hill

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977