Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2019 attendance

2019 attendance 1 week 22 hours ago #174598

  • Senior Seagull
  • Away
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2506
  • Thank you received: 383

bolter wrote: Without a doubt the dominance of Subiaco is the prime reason for the decline in crowds and dwindling interest in the WAFL. They have been dominant for nearly 30 years now and it is just getting boring.
For the comp to rejuvenate it needs Swans East Perth and Perth in the top 3 for once. They will get the crowds back as we have seen with Perth this year. The alignment has absolutely no effect on the crowds falling. Look at the SANFL. Adelaide and Port are in the finals and they are getting 12,000 to the finals and the total crowds are steady mainly because not one team is dominating. They have had 6 different premiers over the last 10 years.
Subiacos continued dominance will be the death of the WAFL full stop. Don't blame the AFL teams.


30 years!! Mate get your facts right before posting something. Subi are the fortunate benifactor of being based at Subi over for over 100 years, but make no mistake, every other WAFL club without exception if given the same deal would have done exactly the same as Subi has done, so direct your vitriol at that august body of AFL sycophants the WAFC if you dont like whats been happening.

I for one would like to see some action from the WAFC to sort out the comp, in an ideal world all players returning from AFL should go back to their clubs of origin, any interstaters coming into the WAFL should be subject to a draft with the lowest club first pick etc and clubs cannot recruit from a club that finished lower than them in the previous season. that all sounds great but there are massive legal issues to sort out like restraint of trade, so good luck with getting any of that sorted out, if they did then we would have a more even comp within 3-4 years and punters would return.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 22 hours ago #174601

  • Demons Forever
  • Demons Forever's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3082
  • Thank you received: 139
Yes SS.
But you have abused the system with your paper bags.
Without hem you would have still struggled on-field.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 20 hours ago #174603

  • Leedy
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2072
  • Thank you received: 143

Senior Seagull wrote:

bolter wrote: Without a doubt the dominance of Subiaco is the prime reason for the decline in crowds and dwindling interest in the WAFL. They have been dominant for nearly 30 years now and it is just getting boring.
For the comp to rejuvenate it needs Swans East Perth and Perth in the top 3 for once. They will get the crowds back as we have seen with Perth this year. The alignment has absolutely no effect on the crowds falling. Look at the SANFL. Adelaide and Port are in the finals and they are getting 12,000 to the finals and the total crowds are steady mainly because not one team is dominating. They have had 6 different premiers over the last 10 years.
Subiacos continued dominance will be the death of the WAFL full stop. Don't blame the AFL teams.


30 years!! Mate get your facts right before posting something. Subi are the fortunate benifactor of being based at Subi over for over 100 years, but make no mistake, every other WAFL club without exception if given the same deal would have done exactly the same as Subi has done, so direct your vitriol at that august body of AFL sycophants the WAFC if you dont like whats been happening.

I for one would like to see some action from the WAFC to sort out the comp, in an ideal world all players returning from AFL should go back to their clubs of origin, any interstaters coming into the WAFL should be subject to a draft with the lowest club first pick etc and clubs cannot recruit from a club that finished lower than them in the previous season. that all sounds great but there are massive legal issues to sort out like restraint of trade, so good luck with getting any of that sorted out, if they did then we would have a more even comp within 3-4 years and punters would return.


SS, all bloody good points but the only club that would not entertain that system would be your lot at $ubi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 19 hours ago #174604

  • Stand the Test
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1322
  • Thank you received: 211
Subi’s invincibility, forget dominance, just could not have come at a worse time.
And the club and its supporters are to blame. They want to take the glory without owning the problems.
Undefeated season followed up by an all but undefeated season. A 75% win rate that they just had to take up to a 100% win rate and prems in all three grades and SS and DG and BC cheering it on.
Thanks guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 17 hours ago #174606

  • Ted Nugent
  • Offline
  • Weekly Starter
  • Weekly Starter
  • Posts: 171
  • Thank you received: 28
It all comes down to money. An interstate draft couldn't work because that would simply prevent interstate players from coming to WA at all. If they were forced to play for, say Swans, and Swans couldn't afford tp pay them what their existing club does, obviously they wouldn't leave. A rule requiring AFL de-listed players to return to club of origin could only work if the WAFC stepped up and allowed payments, or part payments, to such players, to fall outside the salary cap. But then, given the salary cap is an open joke, that wouldn't make much difference. You couldn't possibly stop players from lower placed clubs moving to higher placed clubs. What might work is a loading on points and transfer fees based on relative ladder positions. However, to be fair, that would have to be averaged over 3-5 years rather than a single season.

The sad reality is that success will always follow money and for so long as Subi has the money, they will continue to enjoy success. The WAFC will do nothing and Subi certainly won't exercise any restraint. The points cap has been an abject failure because Subi can afford to attract and pay 6 or more top line players from interstate/other clubs. The likes of Perth/EF/SD can afford one or two at best, and then have to pad their lists out with fringe players. Sorry to be so negative, but I can't see anything changing because so far as the powers that be are concerned, if the Eagles are playing finals, everything in rosy in WA footy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 17 hours ago #174607

  • DG
  • DG's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1779
  • Thank you received: 150

Stand the Test wrote: Subi’s invincibility, forget dominance, just could not have come at a worse time.
And the club and its supporters are to blame. They want to take the glory without owning the problems.
Undefeated season followed up by an all but undefeated season. A 75% win rate that they just had to take up to a 100% win rate and prems in all three grades and SS and DG and BC cheering it on.
Thanks guys.


You're welcome. Train harder
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 6 minutes ago #174618

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7569
  • Thank you received: 720

Senior Seagull wrote:

bolter wrote: Without a doubt the dominance of Subiaco is the prime reason for the decline in crowds and dwindling interest in the WAFL. They have been dominant for nearly 30 years now and it is just getting boring.
For the comp to rejuvenate it needs Swans East Perth and Perth in the top 3 for once. They will get the crowds back as we have seen with Perth this year. The alignment has absolutely no effect on the crowds falling. Look at the SANFL. Adelaide and Port are in the finals and they are getting 12,000 to the finals and the total crowds are steady mainly because not one team is dominating. They have had 6 different premiers over the last 10 years.
Subiacos continued dominance will be the death of the WAFL full stop. Don't blame the AFL teams.


30 years!! Mate get your facts right before posting something. Subi are the fortunate benifactor of being based at Subi over for over 100 years, but make no mistake, every other WAFL club without exception if given the same deal would have done exactly the same as Subi has done, so direct your vitriol at that august body of AFL sycophants the WAFC if you dont like whats been happening.

I for one would like to see some action from the WAFC to sort out the comp, in an ideal world all players returning from AFL should go back to their clubs of origin, any interstaters coming into the WAFL should be subject to a draft with the lowest club first pick etc and clubs cannot recruit from a club that finished lower than them in the previous season. that all sounds great but there are massive legal issues to sort out like restraint of trade, so good luck with getting any of that sorted out, if they did then we would have a more even comp within 3-4 years and punters would return.


To be honest I don't think I really agree every other club would of taken advabtage of it in the same way tbh. Some but maybe not all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 3 minutes ago #174619

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7569
  • Thank you received: 720

Ted Nugent wrote: It all comes down to money. An interstate draft couldn't work because that would simply prevent interstate players from coming to WA at all. If they were forced to play for, say Swans, and Swans couldn't afford tp pay them what their existing club does, obviously they wouldn't leave. A rule requiring AFL de-listed players to return to club of origin could only work if the WAFC stepped up and allowed payments, or part payments, to such players, to fall outside the salary cap. But then, given the salary cap is an open joke, that wouldn't make much difference. You couldn't possibly stop players from lower placed clubs moving to higher placed clubs. What might work is a loading on points and transfer fees based on relative ladder positions. However, to be fair, that would have to be averaged over 3-5 years rather than a single season.

The sad reality is that success will always follow money and for so long as Subi has the money, they will continue to enjoy success. The WAFC will do nothing and Subi certainly won't exercise any restraint. The points cap has been an abject failure because Subi can afford to attract and pay 6 or more top line players from interstate/other clubs. The likes of Perth/EF/SD can afford one or two at best, and then have to pad their lists out with fringe players. Sorry to be so negative, but I can't see anything changing because so far as the powers that be are concerned, if the Eagles are playing finals, everything in rosy in WA footy.


Spot on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 1 week 1 minute ago #174620

  • Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7569
  • Thank you received: 720
Until and unless the Subiaco footy club admit ...Huston we have a problem
( which they are unlikey to ever do ) which is plain to see even by the most one eyed observer , the whole comp is dieing on its legs as well speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 attendance 6 days 18 hours ago #174643

  • Stand the Test
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1322
  • Thank you received: 211
Totally agree with your posts Bazza. I am certain that most clubs would be happy with a 75% win record over 5 years and would not see the need to recruit to get to 100%. I think most clubs would not have seen a need to recruit say Harry marsh after winning prems in all 3 grades.
Its unbelievable really, we are going into a pretty good prelim and I’m not sure many give a FF given the reward is a flogging in the GF.
But seriously good luck to your mob, to cover the losses you had, hams, Saunders, cook, hockey dellio etc from within and got as far as you have. V impressive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Stand the Test.

Who's Online?

We have 223 guests and 5 members online

  • 30plusyeardrought
  • royallucky
  • Royals78
  • Senior Seagull

Newest Footy Recruits

  • Falcons
  • EFAFC
  • Kinga
  • Chilli3
  • Badger03