Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136825

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

jackspratt wrote: Or the Waught twins both scoring double centuries in a 1990 Shield game, for a partnership of 450+, against a WA attack including Alderman, Reid, Matthews, Moody and MacLeay.
www.espncricinfo.com/series/8043/scoreca...s--sheffield-shield/
Or Mark Greatbatch batting for nearly 11 hours to save a test match for the Kiwis on an absolutely plumb WACA wicket in 1989. I was there, and bloody hell, it was hard to watch.
www.espncricinfo.com/series/16634/scorec...trans-tasman-trophy/

Greatbatch gave the bird to the press box too haha
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136833

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't an Australian wicketkeeper dropped in the last year or so because ostensibly he wasn't vocal enough in sledging the opposition batsmen?

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136845

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007

swan42 wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't an Australian wicketkeeper dropped in the last year or so because ostensibly he wasn't vocal enough in sledging the opposition batsmen?

You are talking about Nevill being dropped for Wade? If so, I recall it was speculated in the media that this was the case,but the selectors and Lehmann stated at the time that Nevill wasn't making enough runs at the time and Wade was in good form at shield level. My prediction is that Nevill will come back in for the ashes.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136846

• Tiger of old
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 230

swan42 wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't an Australian wicketkeeper dropped in the last year or so because ostensibly he wasn't vocal enough in sledging the opposition batsmen?

Was an absolute joke that swan42 and I still can't believe that, Neville being dumped for his lack of sledging and being replaced by the dubious batsman and even more dubious keeper Wade who predictably was a complete failure.
And on that legendary Waugh twins shield partnership against us in the early 90s I love the story about the next batsman in, Greg Mathews. I think it was on the second day that he said "if they're still batting at the end of this day's play I'll wear these pads to the nightclub tonight!" They were and he did!

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136848

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Swan 42: they dropped him for not having a big mouth; he did not yell 'caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn Gazza to the point of driving everybody in the cricket world around the bend. Don't forget Healy's caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarnie before every ball; just think: Grout never said a word behind the stumps; he was a good keeper too. I wonder if there could be some sort of connection between concentratting on being a wicket-keeper and skill as distinct from concentratting on being a megaphone? The trouble is, as people have stressed many times in great posts, our keeping has been so bad, that even a performance with only minor mistakes is almost becoming a national success story. I don't think, RW was one of our greatest keepers, but as a kid, I cannot re-call him dropping a catch in a test match or for WA.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136869

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Is this the sort of thing we should be teaching our juniors?

www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/ashes-20...YrC&ocid=mailsignout

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136875

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

swan42 wrote: Is this the sort of thing we should be teaching our juniors?

Yes.
The Ashes is the pinnacle of Test Cricket and an 140 year old institution something other hobby sports like Tennis can only dream about, hopefully Warner is also reminding the youngsters in the squad of a certain Bodyline series from back in 1932/33...do you remember that one 42?!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136876

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I wonder if he would get awy with saying he hatted an non- Anglo-Saxon opponent? Joe Root should use the Bodyline series in a different way.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 5 months ago #136878

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote:

swan42 wrote: Is this the sort of thing we should be teaching our juniors?

Yes.
The Ashes is the pinnacle of Test Cricket and an 140 year old institution something other hobby sports like Tennis can only dream about, hopefully Warner is also reminding the youngsters in the squad of a certain Bodyline series from back in 1932/33...do you remember that one 42?!

BH the "hobby sport" of tennis as you describe it has allowed someone like Roger Federer to earn upwards of $500 million (US$). 1877 was the first Wimbledon.

Last edit: by swan42.

Cricket Naughties 6 years 4 months ago #138588

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here are a few cricket naughties in the same story. Ewan Chatfield mankaded Randall in the late 1970s.
England sent out Sir Ian Terrence Botham whom reportedly said the following to Chatfield:

' careful what you do son, you have already died once on the pitch'

referring to the horrible hit sufferred by Chatfield earlier in the series by Lever.

Botham then proceeded to run out Boycott on the captain's instructions as England were chassing quick runs.

Afterwards, Chatfield claimmed that the NZ selectors dropped him for the mankad.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 268 guests and 3 members online

• Demons Forever
  • one time only
  • DD

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes