Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158560

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
I was just writting about the improved form of SD towards the end of 1978 on another thread, so I thought I would put this thread up.

Did SD fans expect to make the finals before the 1979 season?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158562

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ArkRoyal wrote: I was just writting about the improved form of SD towards the end of 1978 on another thread, so I thought I would put this thread up.

Did SD fans expect to make the finals before the 1979 season?

No; one year too early.

Last edit: by swan42.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158565

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Swans won 7 games in 1976,3 in 77 and 3 in 1978.13 wins in 3 seasons.From 63 starts.
1979 and finals was to much of a quantum leap up the ladder.Won there last 5 matches and ended up with 10 wins.They would of taken 6-8 wins.The Wafl was a strong high standard comp back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158571

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2872
In short AR no we didnt as GTR has posted we had barely won a game in the previous seasons as Toddy sifted through the squad introducing many youngsters to senior football, in fact John Cooper was under pressure over his backing of Todd at that time if memory serves me right....the likes of P.Narkle, Richardson, Langsford, Fitzgerald, Shine, Beasley, A.Sidebottom, Holmes, Williams, Fogarty, M.Smith et al were all blooded in Todds first couple of years at the club and we finally found the confidence and ability to play 4 qtrs in the second half of the 1979 season which was the launching pad to our most successful era 80-85. We were still learning the caper in 1979 the ability was certainly there but the know how was a work in progress!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158574

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
1979 was a great year from memory....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158576

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Of those 6 wins from 42 starts in 1977-78.Four wins where narrow wins against Subi .The other two wins where big wins against Perth.Who won in 77 by 13 goals and narrowly lost the GF in 78.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158578

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
thanks lads

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158990

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 151
Maybe not before the season but yes by round 6. The round 14 disaster against WP when we led by a mile at 3/4 and managed to lose by a point followed by losses over our bogie teams of EF and EP ended the season for us. Macro-history will point to 1979 as the beginning of Swans' rise, but in my opinion it was the final last eight matches of 1978.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158992

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SH: great post; one of reasons i set up the thread was because I was readding through a few 1979 budgets, and as you suggested, there was a certain air of confidence around the statements made by people at SD and commentators at the time. I found it very interesting readding indeed.

The improvement was certainly there in 1978, as, SD would have avoided the wooden spoon accept for the fact that the Lions managed to upset EF in the last game of the year --some of our best football has always been played against the Old Easts.

At the end of round 8, having just lost narrowly to EF after leading all day, you were only a game outside the four and I think Todd would have expected to make it; at the time, EF were top of the ladder and had won 7 of their 8 games.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

1979 5 years 5 months ago #158993

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 151

ArkRoyal wrote: SH: great post; one of reasons i set up the thread was because I was readding through a few 1979 budgets, and as you suggested, there was a certain air of confidence around the statements made by people at SD and commentators at the time. I found it very interesting readding indeed.

The improvement was certainly there in 1978, as, SD would have avoided the wooden spoon accept for the fact that the Lions managed to upset EF in the last game of the year --some of our best football has always been played against the Old Easts.

Do you think the game against Perth upset SD?

The game against WP AR? Yes, definitely. Swans had achieved a few things in the earlier rounds likes wins at Leederville and Perth Oval and Lathlian Park to show they were going somewhere; and then to drop one in that way knocked the wind from the team. Swans have won five flags since, but 1979 is still my favourite season of football for it showed we had something. A bit like a Subi supporter saying 1985 was their most memorial season because of what followed...

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 452 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL