Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154286

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
In the absence of a game this week, I thought I would start off some discussion on how Swans supporters rate the season,keeping in mind of course that there is still one match to come next week.
I have made my views pretty clear on other threads so I will sit back a bit and allow others to state their views. As well as the regulars like DW, Swan42,BH, Swandog, Gtrxuone, Danger and MO,I would be very interested to hear from other Swans fans who might read the discussion on this site but don't comment that much. What are the positives and what has disappointed you?

I will start the thread off with an observation. At the start of this season the club wrote to members stating that Swans were aiming to build on and improve from their impressive 2017 season. In 2017, Swans won 10 qualifying round games and finished 4th. This season so far the team has won 6 games and is likely to finish 8th. So going by its own criteria, Swans have gone backwards significantly in 2018.
Looking forward to reading peoples thoughts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154289

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
mikeh as I have missed about a quarter of our games this year here are some observations. We started the season with some promise but the end of the season has been disappointing in the extreme. I have been bewildered by some of the selections in the latter half of the season as I don't believe we have rewarded some of our reserves' players good form. e.g. Wityk in my opinion should have been given an opportunity to establish his spot in our league team; not in and out like a yo yo.

In my opinion I think Gault will win our fairest and best reasonably comfortably. Riggio will be up there as well. And obviously Notte will perform well in the Swan Medal as well. Our best first year player will be an interesting contest.

Of the three teams I think that the reserves should be considered to relatively speaking been our best performed team given the character they have shown in winning a number of close matches.

In terms of disappointments the departure of Rogers is right up there and one can hope that there may be a reconciliation over the summer. Daniels is another one who should have been given an opportunity toward the latter half of the season.

I suspect that there will be a new look Swans' team next year with a number of senior players retiring at the end of the season.

Last edit: by swan42.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154292

• Viper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 59
It looked like we started well but fell away badly mid to late season. Looking at the list on paper you would have picked us to play finals so to not make it means we have gone backwards. Definitely some in house issues where some players clearly don’t like the coach and we’ll have to see how many stay next year.

I can’t see where we are going to find some legitimate league players. We need a couple more classy players to be able to do any damage next year. If we lose players and don’t recruit we’ll take the spoon next year.

Good to see reserves in finals showing depth but how many are good enough to be league weekly players next year and actually be more than just “serviceable”. I don’t see much down there that are genuine league guns.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeh

Last edit: by Viper.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154301

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
good topic Mike.
be interesting to see the fall-out with players leaving though last weeks effort showed the players on the park didnt have too many issues with the coach, they had a decent go all day.
we dont have enough quality league players in the club and the footy department needs to build some depth, the reserves play some good footy but not too many look like being top league players in the future.
Rogers walked out plenty of times before under Harding, not sure what the issue was but as a senior player we need to replace him with some experience.
Daniels was never fit enough for league footy, wouldnt last 5 minutes against a good league side.
all the young kids that played during the year showed plenty but we dont kick enough goals, find some forwards and quick mid-fielders.
Alby Dean is a talent but cant run out a game against good teams, Italiano looks good and can run all day, Maguire needs to tidy up his kicking but is a worker. Raynor and Erceg have looked good in the backline.
need those guys to take the next step like Jesse Turner who improves every year through hard work and Watson is the same.
hopefully the club is on the front foot and every decent country and metro prospect in the state not already on another WAFL clubs list has an invite to pre-season ready to go...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeh

Last edit: by MarkOlsen.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154304

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MarkOlsen wrote: good topic Mike.
be interesting to see the fall-out with players leaving though last weeks effort showed the players on the park didnt have too many issues with the coach, they had a decent go all day.
we dont have enough quality league players in the club and the footy department needs to build some depth, the reserves play some good footy but not too many look like being top league players in the future.
Rogers walked out plenty of times before under Harding, not sure what the issue was but as a senior player we need to replace him with some experience.
Daniels was never fit enough for league footy, wouldnt last 5 minutes against a good league side.
all the young kids that played during the year showed plenty but we dont kick enough goals, find some forwards and quick mid-fielders.
Alby Dean is a talent but cant run out a game against good teams, Italiano looks good and can run all day, Maguire needs to tidy up his kicking but is a worker. Raynor and Erceg have looked good in the backline.
need those guys to take the next step like Jesse Turner who improves every year through hard work and Watson is the same.
hopefully the club is on the front foot and every decent country and metro prospect in the state not already on another WAFL clubs list has an invite to pre-season ready to go...

MO with the exclusion of Rogers do you expect all the other players to play at Swans in 2019?

If s you put it that Alby Dean can't run out a game against good teams why was he selected in the league team and Daniels wasn't?

Given you said we couldn't kick enough goals would you say the swap of Notte and Gault was a positive, negative or neutral move?

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154305

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
no idea, what do you reckon of who will stay and go ?

Dean dominates reserves and is servicable at league level, fitness is the only thing holding him back.
Daniels to me doesnt run enough at reserves level to show he is a league footballer, you seem to like him - maybe have a chat and tell him that to play league footy to get fitter..

Notte and Gault was a neutral move, made no real difference in any result - you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this one ?

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154328

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MarkOlsen wrote: no idea, what do you reckon of who will stay and go ?

Dean dominates reserves and is servicable at league level, fitness is the only thing holding him back.
Daniels to me doesnt run enough at reserves level to show he is a league footballer, you seem to like him - maybe have a chat and tell him that to play league footy to get fitter..

Notte and Gault was a neutral move, made no real difference in any result - you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this one ?

MO not a bee in my bonnet per se. I just think that whilst it was worth a try it didn't work on balance and the lack of a response when it wasn't working at East Freo is very telling.

The point about Daniels is that he wasn't given a chance to prove himself. I have not spoken to Daniels. With respect to Alby Dean, he shouldn't be selected if he is not fit enough or maybe you should follow through with your advice to me and advise him that he needs to get fit.

With respect to who will go I would not be surprised if at least one of the players you specifically named will not be there in 2019.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154332

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am not fussed whether Dean gets fitter or not, its just my opinion to be a better league player he should get fitter..Daniels wouldnt last 5 minutes in league footy but then again just my opinion.

who wont be there next year ?

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154347

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MarkOlsen wrote: I am not fussed whether Dean gets fitter or not, its just my opinion to be a better league player he should get fitter..Daniels wouldnt last 5 minutes in league footy but then again just my opinion.

who wont be there next year ?

Sorry MO I was told something in confidence.

Swans season review 2018 5 years 8 months ago #154349

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
So is Gault coming to Subi next year 42? :whistle:

Last edit: by BC.
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 402 guests and one member online

• Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020