Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151845

• Rookie draft
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29

swan42 wrote:

Rookie draft wrote: 42 I did predict a number of months back your young group would drop off as we got to the back half of the season. It’s so often the case in footy.

Can get a win next week v Sharks

The reality is our season is well and truly cooked for several weeks now. However, it remains relevant to once again draw attention to the fact that GAVIN TAYLOR LIED when he said that in the reduction to 18 games the extra two games would be against traditional rivals and the other would be against a club that finished in the same third in 2017. That patently and demonstrably was a LIE. Given that we have lost about 20% in our two matches against Subiaco in 2018 the fact that we play Subiaco for a third time in two weeks time we will probably lose another 10-15%. Percentages will probably decide who makes the finals this year.

Subi finished 2nd and Swans 4th last year. I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill to be honest. There’s always swings and roundabouts with fixtures whether there’s 20 or 18 games in a season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151847

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015

Swandog wrote: To make matters worse I only heard in the last hour Ellard has finished up and pulled the pin, WTF is going on behind closed doors?

This is not good. I have a bad feeling about all this stuff. For the club co-captain to retire before the end of the season is very unusual. He is only 28 .

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151848

• Winger
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 135
Potente may have done his ACL.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151849

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rookie draft wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Rookie draft wrote: 42 I did predict a number of months back your young group would drop off as we got to the back half of the season. It’s so often the case in footy.

The reality is our season is well and truly cooked for several weeks now. However, it remains relevant to once again draw attention to the fact that GAVIN TAYLOR LIED when he said that in the reduction to 18 games the extra two games would be against traditional rivals and the other would be against a club that finished in the same third in 2017. That patently and demonstrably was a LIE. Given that we have lost about 20% in our two matches against Subiaco in 2018 the fact that we play Subiaco for a third time in two weeks time we will probably lose another 10-15%. Percentages will probably decide who makes the finals this year.

Subi finished 2nd and Swans 4th last year. I think you’re making a mountain out of a mole hill to be honest. There’s always swings and roundabouts with fixtures whether there’s 20 or 18 games in a season.

Gavin Taylor lied. When one with any degree of mathematical ability splits 9 into thirds one gets 1-3; 4-6; and 7-9.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151851

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

mikeh wrote:

swan42 wrote:

mikeh wrote:

swan42 wrote:

mikeh wrote: I have noticed a trend with Swans since 2012 really, with the exception of 2016 which was an unmitigated train wreck. The trend is that the players start the season well,usually have a few home wins early in the season and get ahead of the 50% win/loss ratio. Then they hit a roadblock in the middle of the season with a bad defeat or two and they then seem to lack the motivation and resiliance to fight back. In 2012 Swans were on top of the ladder at the end of round 14, but ended up going out of the finals in straight sets. 2013 we were a bit up and down but got a home first semi and lost. 2014 we won 8 out of our first 9 games and then fell away to nearly miss the finals. 2015 we were in 3rd spot at the end of round 15 but ended up missing finals, In 2017 we lost our last 4 qualifying games to barely fall into the finals. 2018 continued the same trend when we were 5 - 3 after 8 games only to lose 6 games in a row.
What does this all mean? I think the current group lack the resiliance to get through an entire season and play consistently. They seem to have accepted their inferiority not just to Subiaco but to several other teams as well. It appears to me that Swans have taken over from Perth in that they seem now to have embraced mediocrity on a season by season basis and it has taken the Demons 20 years to finally get out of that mindset. Now that the wheels have totally fallen off, it is an opportunity for the club to have a look at what is trying to achieve.

Check out the fixturing in round 14 and I think you may have the answer mikeh.

Sorry Swan42, not sure what your point is.

That was the round where the reserves played at 9.20 and the colts played on a different day. I think Swans' focus is to have curtain raiser of a women's match followed by the men.

Right I get it, so what you are saying is that Swans focus is now on issues other than the league team making finals? If so that is very disappointing. Do you think the players have been demotivated by this decision?

My opinion only. But I can't think of a reason why our club would want to jeopardise the reserves' competition otherwise.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151852

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

swan42 wrote:

Rookie draft wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Gavin Taylor lied. When one with any degree of mathematical ability splits 9 into thirds one gets 1-3; 4-6; and 7-9.

It appears there are a lot more pressing issues facing Swans at the moment than who they might play 3 times per season

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151853

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374
Firstly apologies to 42 for my not getting back to reply to his question last week re where to from here. Maybe a few answers here. It appears today’s performance has done its best to justify my stance that some people in influential positions within the club need to move on and let new blood have a crack at reinvigorating our entire list and somewhat our culture. We continue to go backwards, aside from Jessie Turner, possibly Hackett it appears nobody has improved in 2018 (exclude Riggs he is consistent every year) . in my opinion short sighted wrong decisions got made at the end of last year by those with the influence which we will pay for over the next few seasons. There is a very well connected local fella with eyes everywhere currently in the AFL system who I believe is our best bet to help us repair, let’s hope someone has the balls to make the hard call and go get some modern intelligence to fill the void we are currently enduring. Change for the sake of change alone needs to be made as the current set up is failing. How do I know that? Well when I can’t be effed going to watch my club play that’s a pretty good indicator to me. Close to 40 years I’ve had the black duck fever, even through those hard times in the 90s and 00s but watching our current standards is heartbreaking and knowing the reasons behind it even moreso. If the club doesn’t have the gonads to make change very much doubt I’ll bother with it at all in 2019.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151854

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

mikeh wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Rookie draft wrote:

swan42 wrote:

It appears there are a lot more pressing issues facing Swans at the moment than who they might play 3 times per season

mikeh with the greatest of respect tho pressing problems and we can add to the apparent retirement of Ellard to those problems, one can't ignore the underlying integrity problems of the entire WAFL competition and given the dominance of Subiaco it is of some consequence who is required to play Subiaco the extra time.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151856

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dirty Weekender wrote: Firstly apologies to 42 for my not getting back to reply to his question last week re where to from here. Maybe a few answers here. It appears today’s performance has done its best to justify my stance that some people in influential positions within the club need to move on and let new blood have a crack at reinvigorating our entire list and somewhat our culture. We continue to go backwards, aside from Jessie Turner, possibly Hackett it appears nobody has improved in 2018 (exclude Riggs he is consistent every year) . in my opinion short sighted wrong decisions got made at the end of last year by those with the influence which we will pay for over the next few seasons. There is a very well connected local fella with eyes everywhere currently in the AFL system who I believe is our best bet to help us repair, let’s hope someone has the balls to make the hard call and go get some modern intelligence to fill the void we are currently enduring. Change for the sake of change alone needs to be made as the current set up is failing. How do I know that? Well when I can’t be effed going to watch my club play that’s a pretty good indicator to me. Close to 40 years I’ve had the black duck fever, even through those hard times in the 90s and 00s but watching our current standards is heartbreaking and knowing the reasons behind it even moreso. If the club doesn’t have the gonads to make change very much doubt I’ll bother with it at all in 2019.

Thanks DW for your input. What needs to happen in any sporting club there needs to be some renewal in the club's board/committee rather than have a stagnant board where nothing changes. However, change for change sake isn't the answer; nor is selecting any board member whose commitment to the club is questionable based on their own summary of the reasons they are seeking a position on the board.

I would urge any Swans's member who is not happy with the current situation and has the necessary time and expertise to improve our club to nominate for the board. I would also urge that as part of the election of board members that all candidates are on an even basis and ALL CANDIDATES have access to the same membership details whether they be currently on the board or are running to gain a position on the board.

Swans v Falcons at Joondalup 5 years 8 months ago #151857

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just to finish my days posting on a positive note,kudos to the reserves team for winning their 4th game in a row today, another come from behind 1 point victory which is their 3rd 1 point victory in the last 4 weeks.They sure know how to win the close ones. A bright ray of light on an otherwise dark day for our club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by mikeh.
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 373 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020