OzFooty.Net Sign In

Who's Online?

We have 251 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

  • Kickin the barrels
  • rodrick1984
  • Sitbacknwatch
  • anderson8616
  • Lathlain lad
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
28 Jun 2017
Memories from Yesteryear..... Rod Alderton
Read More...

TOPIC: Key forwards 1975-1985

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141344

  • Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Archie Duda Goal Machine's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Bench Warmer
  • Bench Warmer
  • Posts: 79
  • Thank you received: 41

ArkRoyal wrote: agreed lads, which is why I have hintted strongly throughout this thread that EP under-achieved in 1979 -- especially-- and arguably, 1980. I think they finished wirh eleven or twelve wins in 1980 including wins against SD and SF.


Definitely 1979, Ark, indicated by a 103-mauling of East Freo at Moss St in Round 18, only to lose to the eventual premiers by two points in the first semi four weeks later.
waflfootyfacts.net/season/games/stats.php?GameID=6189
Most of it was before my time, but East Perth's biggest period of underachievement came between 1960 and 1971 inclusive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141345

  • Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5678
  • Thank you received: 1213

Southerner wrote: In #8 Duda and #29 Arnold East Perth had two almost polar opposite players in style & traits up forward - Duda was the archetype lead up full-forward who thrived on lace out direct quick passing - Arnold was the tall big bodied full-forward who thrived in a marking contest deep in the forward line
Ironically it was Arnold who was slower and usually got monstered by a pack if the ball movement was slowed down further up the field
And as Beasley Hutton said - both ended up out the door soon after - South Fremantle chased Arnold's release hard in the pre-season of 1980 particularly

Probably as a direct replacement for Ray Bauskis who retired that year Southy.
From memory I think Norm Uncle the ex Claremont Full Forward had a stint at SF around then too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141346

  • Southerner
  • Southerner's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignment is PISH
  • Posts: 3335
  • Thank you received: 523
Absolutely mate - and it was borne out of Paul Arnold's then record 9.1 performance against South Fremantle in the 1978 Preminary Final ,that match was the finest & most powerful WANFL performance of his career as things eventually panned out in history.
I don't think Malcolm could forget that and even more so when the first inklings trickled out that Arnie wasn't going to remain at East Perth under coach Cable
Norm Uncle I think came over first having played under Browny at Claremont a few years earlier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How good were the days of T.I , Benny , Maurie , Noel , Rod , Basil , P.Vas , Bausko , Obie , Morls , Joey Mac , Mounty , big Del , Moyls , Browny etc etc etc .... the torps , the biff , the pride of the state.
The Duckworths , Peakes , Nowotnys , Krakouers ,Mossys , Bouchers , Wileys , Budgies too

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141393

  • ArkRoyal
  • ArkRoyal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2565
  • Thank you received: 620
AD: I think that is a very point about the 1960-71 era in regards uner-achievement, had you won all of those you would have been within touching distance of EF by 1978. Having said that, I have always let the off a bit because Peth had Cable. Did he win all the Simpson medals awarded in those grand finals?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141399

  • DG
  • DG's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1657
  • Thank you received: 122
I would go with Arnold over Duda If had to choose
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141402

  • ArkRoyal
  • ArkRoyal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2565
  • Thank you received: 620
DG -- Are you re-calling his days with the Lions? He did kick 5.0 against Perth in round 2, 1980, in a game the Demons won by a hundred points.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141406

  • Freezin
  • Freezin's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5477
  • Thank you received: 356
Five goals more than what ex SD forward Mark Olsen kicked for EF in the thrashing SD gave EF back in 1980.....no doubt that was a 100 pt one as well....LOL.

Did ex EP tall John Nolan ever suit up for EF?....seem to remember he did for some reason.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141409

  • Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5678
  • Thank you received: 1213

Freezin wrote: Five goals more than what ex SD forward Mark Olsen kicked for EF in the thrashing SD gave EF back in 1980.....no doubt that was a 100 pt one as well....LOL.

Did ex EP tall John Nolan ever suit up for EF?....seem to remember he did for some reason.

I did mention him moving from EP to EF earlier in the thread Freeze...good to see you take notice mate! ;)

He played 27 games and kicked 23 goals for EF from 1983-1986.
Also played 50 games and kicked 64 goals for EP from 1979 to 1983.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141413

  • Grump
  • Grump's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 1359
  • Thank you received: 74

Beasley Hutton wrote:

Freezin wrote: Five goals more than what ex SD forward Mark Olsen kicked for EF in the thrashing SD gave EF back in 1980.....no doubt that was a 100 pt one as well....LOL.

Did ex EP tall John Nolan ever suit up for EF?....seem to remember he did for some reason.

I did mention him moving from EP to EF earlier in the thread Freeze...good to see you take notice mate! ;)

He played 27 games and kicked 23 goals for EF from 1983-1986.
Also played 50 games and kicked 64 goals for EP from 1979 to 1983.

Didn't he come over from North melbourne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Key forwards 1975-1985 5 months 3 weeks ago #141415

  • Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Veteran
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5678
  • Thank you received: 1213

Grump wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote:

Freezin wrote: Five goals more than what ex SD forward Mark Olsen kicked for EF in the thrashing SD gave EF back in 1980.....no doubt that was a 100 pt one as well....LOL.

Did ex EP tall John Nolan ever suit up for EF?....seem to remember he did for some reason.

I did mention him moving from EP to EF earlier in the thread Freeze...good to see you take notice mate! ;)

He played 27 games and kicked 23 goals for EF from 1983-1986.
Also played 50 games and kicked 64 goals for EP from 1979 to 1983.

Didn't he come over from North melbourne

I believe he did Grump...probably followed Cable over from Arden St.
A few boys played at EP & NM back in the 70s & 80s-
John Burns, Brad Smith, Richard Michalczyk, Ross Glendinning, Kevin Bryant, Peter Spencer, Barry Cable, John Nolan, Phil Kelly, Richard Dennis, Alex Ishchenko et al. I am pretty sure Grant Campbell signed a Form 4 with NM as well but never made the move over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Beasley Hutton.
Moderators: Grump
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds
Tweets by @Ozfootynet
promotional tote bags