Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141292

• chaddy22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

waflfootyfacts wrote:

chaddy22 wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: The club had some good key forwards from about 1975-1985, includding:

Tienery
Duda
Edwards
Miller
Arnold
Campbell
Starcevich (apologies on spelling)

Was Duda clearly the best? Also, given the club had such a list of forwards, do EP fans feel that the club may have under-achieved in the early 1980s?

We at Subi would have killed for just one of those names during the early 1980s

I think Tierney was retired before 1975.I remember he kicked about 13 points against Claremont and no goals at perth oval against Claremont.claremont won and I think the score was 19 goals 10 points to east perth 10 goals 28 points.I think he played half forward in the 72 grand final which was a reward for enduring a few gf loses.

Good memory Chaddy, i have him down for 0.10 against Claremont in round 2, 1966

I attended the game as a 11 year old and it was a hard game not to forget.

waflfootyfacts.net/season/games/stats.php?GameID=4980

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by chaddy22.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141293

• chaddy22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: good one, that makes me feel a little less guilty about all our recruitting, as you know, Warner, the great Greg Kelly and Dawson all had a bit of ability. Mick C was from Vic land, played four games for the Royals? Spencer should have stayed with the Lions in 1986, anything could have happened in terms of injuries and he would have played in his third premeirship side.

Here is question for you BH, if you would not mind giving your view. On paper, at least, did EP have better key forwards than SD in the early 1980s? One cannot question the credentials of the captain or SB at Swans, but looking back, the real class of your beloved black and whites was across the centre, the ruck and the half-forward line, Mike Richardson and Don Homes being just two of many.

We definitely had the best rock combination in 1983 of ALL teams.Have a think of who our ruckmen were.Shane Cocker (3 games),Craig Edwards (20 games), Alex ischenko (16 games) and john Ironmonger (21 games).Sadly within a few short years all were gone elsewhere and we had to import Mal Bennett from West Perth

Last edit: by chaddy22.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141294

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

chaddy22 wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: good one, that makes me feel a little less guilty about all our recruitting, as you know, Warner, the great Greg Kelly and Dawson all had a bit of ability. Mick C was from Vic land, played four games for the Royals? Spencer should have stayed with the Lions in 1986, anything could have happened in terms of injuries and he would have played in his third premeirship side.

Here is question for you BH, if you would not mind giving your view. On paper, at least, did EP have better key forwards than SD in the early 1980s? One cannot question the credentials of the captain or SB at Swans, but looking back, the real class of your beloved black and whites was across the centre, the ruck and the half-forward line, Mike Richardson and Don Homes being just two of many.

We definitely had the best rock combination in 1983 of ALL teams.Have a think of who our ruckmen were.Shane Cocker (3 games),Craig Edwards (20 games), Alex ischenko (16 games) and john Ironmonger (21 games).Sadly within a few short years all were gone elsewhere and we had to import Mal Bennett from West Perth

Take it back a year earlier again and you had those 4 plus Wayne Duke & John Nolan (Quick moved to SF) as well Chaddy, certainly no lack of ruckmen at EP back in the early 80s.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141309

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118

Beasley Hutton wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: I agree with all of that. Sidebottom is the one I always forget about at SD, unsure why as he was a great footballer, whom as you would remember is in that famous state-of origin picture with his little SD mate, Kevin Taylor. You were lucky to have two players of the ilk of Kenny and Hutton, both far from big, but as you said, always played with great skill.

Sidey & Squizzy were a damaging duo on their day AR both for SD & WA. From memory they kicked 15 goals between themselves in the 1985 1st Semi vs WP.
Has there ever been a better high flying marker of the footy for a small forward than Kevin Taylor?

Sidebottom didn't play in the premierships did he Beas?
Playing in the VFL at the time.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141314

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

Cesspit wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: I agree with all of that. Sidebottom is the one I always forget about at SD, unsure why as he was a great footballer, whom as you would remember is in that famous state-of origin picture with his little SD mate, Kevin Taylor. You were lucky to have two players of the ilk of Kenny and Hutton, both far from big, but as you said, always played with great skill.

Sidey & Squizzy were a damaging duo on their day AR both for SD & WA. From memory they kicked 15 goals between themselves in the 1985 1st Semi vs WP.
Has there ever been a better high flying marker of the footy for a small forward than Kevin Taylor?

Sidebottom didn't play in the premierships did he Beas?
Playing in the VFL at the time.

Thats right Cess he came back in 85 the year after our hatrick but he had a great season in 85 winning the Swan Medal & was our leading goalkicker that year as well. Unfortunately his 86 season was ruined from a suspension in the 85 Preliminary Final for kicking that dirty scum Rod Willet...he should have been let off for doing a good deed for that rather than cop 7 weeks! :)

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141318

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273

Beasley Hutton wrote: Unfortunately his 86 season was ruined from a suspension in the 85 Preliminary Final for kicking that dirty scum Rod Willet...he should have been let off for doing a good deed for that rather than cop 7 weeks! :)

Most unfair - it's like 2 Mafia hoods having a shoot-out, and only one being charged by the cops. B)

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141332

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256

Southerner wrote: Big Arnie Paul Arnold played a bit at CHF when he first came in - I recall an article where Cable intimated Archie Duda was too slow which I suppose showed a gradual fall in & out of the league side
The thing about Archie is that he very rarely missed a set shot at goal and had a very deliberate technique routine

Excellent points you make there, Southerner.
I recently saw a 2013 post on Big Footy (and I thank UpForGrabs in case he/she posts on this website) relating to Arnold and Duda's goalkicking stats in 1979.
Arnold: League: 50 goals in 12 games; Reserves: 64 goals in 9 games; Total 114 goals in 21 games
Duda: League: 47 goals in 10 games; Reserves: 65 goals in 11 games; Total 112 goals in 21 games
They were League teammates in Rounds 7 and 8 only, kicking six goals apiece in a 92-point annilhilation of the enemy (West Perth).
It amazes me why Cabes didn't persist with both at the same time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141335

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1191
In #8 Duda and #29 Arnold East Perth had two almost polar opposite players in style & traits up forward - Duda was the archetype lead up full-forward who thrived on lace out direct quick passing - Arnold was the tall big bodied full-forward who thrived in a marking contest deep in the forward line
Ironically it was Arnold who was slower and usually got monstered by a pack if the ball movement was slowed down further up the field
And as Beasley Hutton said - both ended up out the door soon after - South Fremantle chased Arnold's release hard in the pre-season of 1980 particularly

Last edit: by Southerner.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141338

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
agreed lads, which is why I have hintted strongly throughout this thread that EP under-achieved in 1979 -- especially-- and arguably, 1980. I think they finished wirh eleven or twelve wins in 1980 including wins against SD and SF.

Key forwards 1975-1985 6 years 2 months ago #141344

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256

ArkRoyal wrote: agreed lads, which is why I have hintted strongly throughout this thread that EP under-achieved in 1979 -- especially-- and arguably, 1980. I think they finished wirh eleven or twelve wins in 1980 including wins against SD and SF.

Definitely 1979, Ark, indicated by a 103-mauling of East Freo at Moss St in Round 18, only to lose to the eventual premiers by two points in the first semi four weeks later.
waflfootyfacts.net/season/games/stats.php?GameID=6189
Most of it was before my time, but East Perth's biggest period of underachievement came between 1960 and 1971 inclusive.

Last edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.
Moderators: royallucky

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 345 guests and 3 members online

• Demons Forever
  • Success Hill
  • Johnny Leonard

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma