Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140406

• Custodian
  • Custodian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 76
Picking up from the Claremont thread: Best Interstaters to play at East Fremantle
Big Bob Johnson from Melbourne
David Rankin from Fitzroy
Colin Watterson - from Richmond
Bruce Tschirpig - from Richmond
Jeff Cassidy - from Geelong
Big Brian (The Whale) Roberts from South Australia
Alan Pobjoy - from Tassie?
Neal Ferguson - from Hawthorn? (plus his mate Browne)
Martyn Melody - Springvale in the VFA
Adrian Bromage - country Victoria
Greg Madigan - from Hawthorn
Rhett Bowden- from Port Melbourne

There was also a hard as nails ruckman from Tassie who played with us during the 60's but his name escapes me for the moment....My memory has come back and I think he was Ted Banks. I have probably missed a few others.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Custodian.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140407

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
Robbie Young originally from Coburg was a good one for EF Custy...though my fave ES player of all time was ex ESS champ Nifty Neville Fields...also Matthew Watson was more than handy for us these past 2 years

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140408

• Custodian
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You're right about Robbie Young and Matthew Watson... great contribution. Robbie was the best of a group of about five players that Dave Dunbar (Shudder...) bought across with him. The others lasted one or two seasons but Robbie went on to play 150 games.
They say when your mind begins to go that you retain the older memories until they also fade away. With regards to "nifty" came across with great fanfare from Essendon but I
can't recall him actually pulling on the boots for us. Similarly with Paul Feltham: from Hawthorn although he lasted for a few games.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140411

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Paul Abbott-Hawthorn
Hayden Kilmartin-Melbourne
Peter Keays-Fitzroy
Darren Williams-Essendon
Mark Norsworthy-SA

All of those ex Fitzroy boys Rankin, Waterson, Keays followed Alexander over when he became Captain-Coach from memory.
On another note is the Ablett who has been appointed the new WAFL Colts doyen the same fella that had an unsuccessful run at Old Easts in the early 2000s?

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140414

• Custodian
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

anchorman wrote: Didn't the Whale come over from Richmond?

I think East Fremantle recruited Brian Roberts (The Whale) from South Australia and he then left East Fremantle to join Richmond.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140416

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920

Beasley Hutton wrote: Paul Abbott-Hawthorn
Hayden Kilmartin-Melbourne
Peter Keays-Fitzroy
Darren Williams-Essendon
Mark Norsworthy-SA

All of those ex Fitzroy boys Rankin, Waterson, Keays followed Alexander over when he became Captain-Coach from memory.
On another note is the Ablett who has been appointed the new WAFL Colts doyen the same fella that had an unsuccessful run at Old Easts in the early 2000s?

Funny u mention Ablett BH..I was thinking the same thing too....that Ablett came over with big wraps...got injured pre season and never got on the park...think he was around during Dunbars stint...and cheers for reminding me about Norsworthy too...LOL

Last edit: by Freezin.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140422

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Neville Fields

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140431

• Custodian
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

anchorman wrote:

Custodian wrote:

anchorman wrote: Didn't the Whale come over from Richmond?

I think East Fremantle recruited Brian Roberts (The Whale) from South Australia and he then left East Fremantle to join Richmond.

You may be right, but I am sure he went back to Richmond after his time at Old Easts.

"Known during the Victorian phase of his career as 'The Whale' Brian Roberts had physical attributes to match, and is thought to have been, at roughly 120 kg (at least for part of his career), among the heaviest men ever to play league football. He did so in three states, beginning in his home state of South Australia with South Adelaide, where he played 57 SANFL games between 1965 and 1967, as well as representing the croweaters at the 1966 Hobart carnival.

His next port of call was East Fremantle where, over the course of the next three seasons, he played precisely the same number of league games as he had with the Panthers. He also played for his adopted state at the 1969 Adelaide carnival.

The final phase of Roberts' league career was in the VFL with Richmond (78 games from 1971 to 1975) and South Melbourne (15 games in 1975). He was a member of Richmond's 1973 and 1974 premiership teams, but enjoyed possibly his finest concerted spell in football with South Melbourne where, despite having a disrupted season (he was cleared to South mid-year after playing the first five games with the Tigers), he finished only three votes shy of winner Gary Dempsey in the Brownlow Medal.

Extremely tall at 199 cm as well as being of extraordinarily hefty build, Brian Roberts combined enormous ability as a tap ruckman with great marking skills around the ground. Sadly, an argument with South Melbourne coach Ian Stewart during the 1976 pre-season period led to his premature retirement from the game."

From AustralianFootball.com Author - John Devaney

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140436

• 58shark
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
Great topic Custy. I’m gunna pull out my old footy programs for another look.
Anyone remember when Collingwood came ove and played us? We lost, but put up a good show. Off the topic I know, but had to mention it.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by 58shark.

Best other staters at East Fremantle 6 years 2 months ago #140440

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273

58shark wrote: Off the topic I know, but had to mention it.

You're safe enough on any thread, bar the Chunder sub-forum. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 58shark

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 454 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes