Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159851

• swansfan4life
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132

gtrxuone wrote:

mikeh wrote: One game from that era which is burnt into my memory was a SD v Claremont game at Claremont Oval just before the 1981 finals. Many of the players in your team would have participated in this match BH. The Tigers had the Krakouer brothers, Malaxos, Ralph, Moss and many other champions. It was a beautiful sunny day and both teams kicked over 20 goals. Even though we ended up losing the game, I came away from there feeling lucky that I had witnessed the amazing display of skills from both sides. It was the best WAFL game I have seen.

Agree with that Mike.The GF a month later was as good a game but South destroyed the game with bad kicking at goal.Have been trying to get that game for years on DVD or Video.Cant remember who KO'D Phil Krakourer in the first qtr.Solin or Billy Skirowski.One of them pushed PK in the back and as he fell the other shirt fronted him in the chin.That game also had 4 or 5 legs on the shoulder high marks.One from Farmer,Malaxos and a couple from Darryl Sutton.

The link below is the full 1981 WAFL Grand Final on Youtube. If you have a program to download from Youtube, you'll be able to have your own copy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159853

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

swansfan4life wrote:

gtrxuone wrote:

mikeh wrote: One game from that era which is burnt into my memory was a SD v Claremont game at Claremont Oval just before the 1981 finals. Many of the players in your team would have participated in this match BH. The Tigers had the Krakouer brothers, Malaxos, Ralph, Moss and many other champions. It was a beautiful sunny day and both teams kicked over 20 goals. Even though we ended up losing the game, I came away from there feeling lucky that I had witnessed the amazing display of skills from both sides. It was the best WAFL game I have seen.

Agree with that Mike.The GF a month later was as good a game but South destroyed the game with bad kicking at goal.Have been trying to get that game for years on DVD or Video.Cant remember who KO'D Phil Krakourer in the first qtr.Solin or Billy Skirowski.One of them pushed PK in the back and as he fell the other shirt fronted him in the chin.That game also had 4 or 5 legs on the shoulder high marks.One from Farmer,Malaxos and a couple from Darryl Sutton.

The link below is the full 1981 WAFL Grand Final on Youtube. If you have a program to download from Youtube, you'll be able to have your own copy.

Thanks will watch tonight.

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159858

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154

Beasley Hutton wrote: BA: Skwirowski, Mullooly, Solin
HB: Langsford, Rance, Fogarty
CE: K.Narkle, Baker, P.Narkle
HF: M.Richardson, G.Sidebottom, D.Holmes
FO: Shine, Beasley, Hutton
RU: Boucher, Neesham, Melrose
INT: Sartori, Nowotny, Holden, M.Smith
EM: Williams, A.Sidebottom, Blackaby, Ware, Cransberg, Kenny, Ugle, Grasso, Fitzgerald, S.Richardson, Caton, Hetherington, Johns, Hoyer, Gillespie, Marshall, Penny, A.Holmes, Walker, Ahmat, Cormack, Passeri.

Coach: John Todd

Yep, great team BH. I would have Peter Kenny in the starting 18; but where exactly I am unsure. Underrated, and one of the few defenders in the league who could hold Ralph. The game against Claremont already discussed - people forget that Claremont were going for 12 straight that match to win the $20,000 put up by Marlboro. Gosh how far were we in front at 3/4 time? Anyway, great times... .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159860

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
It is difficult one with SD of that era as they played in four grand finals and won three straight flags, but both South in 1980 and the Tigers in 1981 respectively are regarded as having had the better teams.

In my humble opinion there is away to beat both those sides most of the time by changing the side in the following ways:

move Rance to full back
put Sartori at CHB
play Alan Sidebottom in the back pocket and in the ruck alongside Boucher

This would give the side a little bit of extra strength in the key positions and real edge in the ruck against Claremont and South.

Just to demonstrate my point, of the three great sides of that era, SF and CL went into games with only one great ruckman and each of them won only one flag.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159861

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Pretty good side BH................. I note you managed to pick yourself playing both FF and pocket. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159864

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015

Success Hill wrote:

EM: Williams, A.Sidebottom, Blackaby, Ware, Cransberg, Kenny, Ugle, Grasso, Fitzgerald, S.Richardson, Caton, Hetherington, Johns, Hoyer, Gillespie, Marshall, Penny, A.Holmes, Walker, Ahmat, Cormack, Passeri.

Yep, great team BH. I would have Peter Kenny in the starting 18; but where exactly I am unsure. Underrated, and one of the few defenders in the league who could hold Ralph. The game against Claremont already discussed - people forget that Claremont were going for 12 straight that match to win the $20,000 put up by Marlboro. Gosh how far were we in front at 3/4 time? Anyway, great times... .

27 points up at half time, 22 in front at 3/4 time, lost by 15.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, Success Hill

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159871

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2874

jackspratt wrote: Pretty good side BH................. I note you managed to pick yourself playing both FF and pocket. :cheer:

Well spotted JS! ;)

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159872

• Beasley Hutton
  • Beasley Hutton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2874

Success Hill wrote:

Peter Kenny was a great player SH a very good strong overhead mark, versatile and mobile enough to play at both ends of the ground from Full Back to Full Forward its a pity he didnt stay at SD a bit longer before heading off to Carlton as he was only at Bassendean for 2 albeit very successful years 82-83!

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159879

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154
Yes, grand player BH, and opponents like Ralph and the late Chris Stasinowsky disliked lining up on him. At the risk of beginning a civil war, one guy I wouldn't have selected in the starting 18 was half of your name's sake in Beasley. Only played two years, and it was no coincidence that we won flags after his departure in 1981 (possibly a bit harsh). The full-forward line in 1980/81 was a contradiction to the rest of the lines in those years in that it was not flexible enough with Beasley at ff. Yes, he kicked goals, but once quality opposition teams worked us out in the second half of 1981 we were going to struggle in the finals despite finishing second.

Swan Districts Best Side-1980s 5 years 5 months ago #159889

• waflfootyfacts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 257
Most Games for Swan Districts in the 1980's...
194 LANGSFORD, Don
139 HOLMES, Don
138 SKWIROWSKI, Bill
131 WARE, Peter
127 FOGARTY, Jon
122 HUTTON, Brent
118 SOLIN, Tony
111 RANCE, Murray
110 NARKLE, Keith
108 SHINE, Brad
100 HETHERINGTON, Kim
97 FITZGERALD, Ross
96 NARKLE, Phil

Most Goals for Swan Districts in the 1980's...
296 HOLMES, Don
216 BEASLEY, Simon
198 HUTTON, Brent
159 RICHARDSON, Mike
142 CATON, Kevin
130 HOLMES, Andy
119 SARTORI, Peter
109 BLACKABY, Ed
107 SIDEBOTTOM, Garry
105 NARKLE, Phil
103 NARKLE, Keith
101 BAKER, Leon

Most Goals per game for Swan Districts in the 1980's (min: 20 games)...
4.70 BEASLEY, Simon
3.15 SIDEBOTTOM, Garry
2.38 WILLIAMS, Darren
2.38 TAYLOR, Kevin
2.34 RICHARDSON, Mike
2.17 HOLMES, Andy
2.13 HOLMES, Don
2.03 MARSHALL, Ken
2.02 BLACKABY, Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 305 guests and 2 members online

• Sand Surfer

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977