Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160676

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Mayor of Midland wrote: We haven't even hit Christmas yet and there is already concerning signs with our list and non activity on the transfer market. Maybe this will be explained at our AGM.

MoM who knows according to posts on this forum whether we have an official Colts' coach.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160683

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2872

swan42 wrote: My mail is that Swans will be relying on the colts' players progressing as a number of ressies' players have left.

2016 all over again coming up next year if that is the case!

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160687

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
Footy department thought end of last year had 10-11 senior footballers out of the colts group and thought last years reserves squad was as poor as we had had in years for blokes who would become league footballers.
Losing reserves players doesn’t worry me, it’s the lack of recruiting at the top end of the list that is our issue.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160690

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MarkOlsen wrote: Footy department thought end of last year had 10-11 senior footballers out of the colts group and thought last years reserves squad was as poor as we had had in years for blokes who would become league footballers.
Losing reserves players doesn’t worry me, it’s the lack of recruiting at the top end of the list that is our issue.

MO which colts and ressies players do you think will progress to be regular league players for Swans in 2019?

Also, which players would potentially move to Peel and/or the Eagles reserves team, or move over East halfway through the year?

Last edit: by swan42.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160691

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
Bain and Wilson looked the best of the colts able to step up, both promising, as for the rest no idea, question for Harding and Smart as it’s their thoughts not mine.
No idea on your other questions, wouldn’t have a clue what goes through the minds of afl clubs.
What are your answers to the questions you asked ?

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160693

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MarkOlsen wrote: Bain and Wilson looked the best of the colts able to step up, both promising, as for the rest no idea, question for Harding and Smart as it’s their thoughts not mine.
No idea on your other questions, wouldn’t have a clue what goes through the minds of afl clubs.

My question about players leaving mid-season relates to the recently introduced mid-season draft by the VICTORIAN PARASITE LEAGUE. I recall Brian Dawson being interviewed after the 2010 GF saying that he was glad that there was no mid-season draft. With the host club alignment and the Eagles reserves team, there is the potential that a player will one week be playing for their WAFL club and then the next week play against that club (with no compensation).

I missed a lot of the second half of the season so it is difficult for me to judge but given where we finished last season and it appears that there has been only one player recruited according to the topic on this forum (excluding Nuich who it is doubtful that he will return) one would be hard pressed to see how Swans will improve in 2019 in the context of the players who have left.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160701

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
I think there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the WAFL in 2019 Swan42 as you pointed out. It is just about impossible to predict how competitive each team is going to be given the new powers of AFL clubs to purge the best players from state league teams before and during the season. There seems to be a drift towards turning the WAFL into an under 23s competition so maybe Swans are just pre-empting the inevitable anyway.
If you are going to promote the Colts guys there is a need for experienced bodies around them both for protection and to educate these players about the right way to play league footy. That is why I would be interested to know if guys like Matt Riggio, David Ellard and Tony Notte are going around again next year. The first two particularly who were rumoured to be retiring at the end of last season but we have heard nothing from the club about them. Hopefully no news is good news because with the departures of Banfield, Ugle and Rogers, we will need all the experience we can get.

Last edit: by mikeh.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160706

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

mikeh wrote: I think there are a lot of uncertainties surrounding the WAFL in 2019 Swan42 as you pointed out. It is just about impossible to predict how competitive each team is going to be given the new powers of AFL clubs to purge the best players from state league teams before and during the season. There seems to be a drift towards turning the WAFL into an under 23s competition so maybe Swans are just pre-empting the inevitable anyway.
If you are going to promote the Colts guys there is a need for experienced bodies around them both for protection and to educate these players about the right way to play league footy. That is why I would be interested to know if guys like Matt Riggio, David Ellard and Tony Notte are going around again next year. The first two particularly who were rumoured to be retiring at the end of last season but we have heard nothing from the club about them. Hopefully no news is good news because with the departures of Banfield, Ugle and Rogers, we will need all the experience we can get.

mikeh I think the aim is to scrap the entire WAFL and to have a TAC style underage competition and to run a Women's competition.

This is the link to Swan's coach's pre-season comments:

www.swandistrictsfc.com.au/news/16137/co...s-pre-season-address

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160707

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2872

swan42 wrote:

MarkOlsen wrote: Bain and Wilson looked the best of the colts able to step up, both promising, as for the rest no idea, question for Harding and Smart as it’s their thoughts not mine.

My question about players leaving mid-season relates to the recently introduced mid-season draft by the VICTORIAN PARASITE LEAGUE. I recall Brian Dawson being interviewed after the 2010 GF saying that he was glad that there was no mid-season draft. With the host club alignment and the Eagles reserves team, there is the potential that a player will one week be playing for their WAFL club and then the next week play against that club (with no compensation).

I missed a lot of the second half of the season so it is difficult for me to judge but given where we finished last season and it appears that there has been only one player recruited according to the topic on this forum (excluding Nuich who it is doubtful that he will return) one would be hard pressed to see how Swans will improve in 2019 in the context of the players who have left.

42 since when has a mid season draft been implemented?
I know there has been talk of it but I am not sure it has actually gone through as yet?
As for our side for next season whilst I am a huge advocate of developing our own youngsters we cannot throw them to the wolves like we did in 2016 and as we dont seem to have been proactive yet again in the recruiting stakes at all I can see some similarities appearing to that horrific season.
So far we have lost experienced and hardened bodies such as- Blight, Ugle, Banfield, Rogers that we are aware of plus Watson, Cameron & Edwards to the draft and replaced them with...?
It was pretty obvious Luke Meadows was disgruntled with WP at seasons end and im pretty sure his old man played at SD in the 80s did we even approach him to come to a club who has a long proven track record of getting mature age and young players drafted over the last 12 or so seasons?...WP certainly havent been shy in approaching and recruiting our boys over the years!!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

SEASON 2019 NEWS AND RUMOURS 5 years 3 months ago #160708

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote:

swan42 wrote:

42 since when has a mid season draft been implemented?
I know there has been talk of it but I am not sure it has actually gone through as yet?
As for our side for next season whilst I am a huge advocate of developing our own youngsters we cannot throw them to the wolves like we did in 2016 and as we dont seem to have been proactive yet again in the recruiting stakes at all I can see some similarities appearing to that horrific season.
So far we have lost experienced and hardened bodies such as- Blight, Ugle, Banfield, Rogers that we are aware of plus Watson, Cameron & Edwards to the draft and replaced them with...?
It was pretty obvious Luke Meadows was disgruntled with WP at seasons end and im pretty sure his old man played at SD in the 80s did we even approach him to come to a club who has a long proven track record of getting mature age and young players drafted over the last 12 or so seasons?...WP certainly havent been shy in approaching and recruiting our boys over the years!![/quote

The key points of the mid-season draft are:

Mid-season rookie draft (date to be confirmed)

Should AFL clubs have a list spot available or one is created through a player being placed on the inactive list, they will be able to add a player to their rookie list and select players based on reverse ladder order at a mid-season date to be specified.

To be eligible, players must re-nominate for the mid-season rookie draft.

Clubs have first rights to re-contract their drafted player or he becomes a delisted free agent.

See link: www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/afl-bring...okie-draft-for-2019-

Last edit: by swan42.
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 431 guests and 3 members online

• Royals78
  • Mr AFL
  • Swedgen

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync