Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163359

• Dazzler
  • Thank you received: 391

personal demon wrote: For what it's worth, here is my best side:

B: J. Bell - M. Taylor - Z. Hill
HB: M. Sinclair - B. Latch - J. Burke
C: G. Narrier - B. Collegde - C. Leggett
HF: M. Rogers -B. Johnson - M. Bennell
F: C. Ninyette - M. Jones - K. Cary
R/Foll.: C. Eyres - C. Yeo - C. Byrne
Res. C. Giblett - C. Bryan - M. Browne - A. Scotney - C. Jones - L. Marlin - B. Edmonds - M. Henderson - L. Dennis - J. Levien

I think we have at least one A-grader on each line. Backs and Midfielders look stronger than our forward line, though at their best Ninyette and Bennell are A-grade small forwards.

Pretty easy to spot the weaknesses: no back-up ruck, no CHF or FF with a proven record; midfield is great but there's little after those guys. I have only included recognized league players in the res. list. Take 4 out of that, and then the overall team depth is weak. Sing and Hamilton represent the best hopes from the colts, at least on paper. Rogers is an A grade recruit and Burke might be included. Narrier is a potential A Grade recruit. There seems to have been no recruiting done outside the club at all, with the exception of Bryan. Disappointed we weren't able to attract anyone away from WP. Having said that, when EP roll out Joel Houghton as a recruit and as a potential FF it seems there may not have been a lot out there. I also think that if Giobbi represents our only league loss from the list, then we've slightly improved over last year.

I think it also has to be said that new AFL rules around rookies and mid-season draft etc have made the job of recruiting or retaining players at WAFL level that much harder. So has the fact that the WCE have a reserves team, despite the rules imposed on them re recruiting.

Devon McFarlane leaves a big hole to fill. His foot skills was elite and he was a great decision maker with the ball.

Otherwise a pretty fair wrap of where we are at I reckon. You are spot on about the impact of the AFL mid-season draft. I think that is being felt in recruitig across all second-tier comps.

This hopefully is the year when Marshall Jones stands up and becomes that key forward we all hope he will become.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163360

• KCEF
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 111
Rogers is far from an A grader. He's probably not even in your best 10 players

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163361

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
Matt's best is in Perth's top 10, just can be inconsistent.
Bennell is the player to watch for the whole comp, could easily kick 50-60 goals, very talented.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163362

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Be interesting to see how Bennell will go in his 2nd year of WAFL footy.....did a Liam Ryan by coming from obscurity to WAFL excitement machine....hopefully for Perth he continues on his merry way like what Ryan did for Subi and kicked goals week in week out for fun.....no doubt opposition coaches will be more aware who Bennell is this season.....on paper a Perth forward line of Bennell, Ninyette, Leggett, Roe and Narrier would definitely be number one in the comp for x factor and excitement.....

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163363

• Ted Nugent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 158
Agree we will miss MacFarlane. That's why I have Leggett at half back, someone with comparable kicking skills who can break the lines. I would have included Latch and Garstone, but I don't know if Latch is confirmed or Garstone fit. If so, I'd have Latch at CHB and put Sinclair on a flank, where he can play a high disposal, mopping up type game. I'd have Garstone as a key forward. PD, I am going to have to disagree on M Jones. I think he is well below the standard required for league footy. I am not confident with my selection of Marlin at FF, but he is taller and has better marking and kicking skills than Jones. I would consider trying Zac Hill at FF. I think we need a tall key forward for structural reasons: that is, Bennell can lead (not a great contested mark), Ninyette can crumb, then we need a tall when the only option is to go long. Definitely need to encourage guys like Narrier, Colledge and Byrne to push forward and kick goals. And please, can players back themselves to go for goal when inside 50 instead of doing little 20m chip passes that are invariably cut off?

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163364

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1358

Dazzler wrote:

Res. C. Giblett - C. Bryan - M. Browne - A. Scotney - C. Jones - L. Marlin - B. Edmonds - M. Henderson - L. Dennis - J. Levien

I think we have at least one A-grader on each line. Backs and Midfielders look stronger than our forward line, though at their best Ninyette and Bennell are A-grade small forwards.

Pretty easy to spot the weaknesses: no back-up ruck, no CHF or FF with a proven record; midfield is great but there's little after those guys. I have only included recognized league players in the res. list. Take 4 out of that, and then the overall team depth is weak. Sing and Hamilton represent the best hopes from the colts, at least on paper. Rogers is an A grade recruit and Burke might be included. Narrier is a potential A Grade recruit. There seems to have been no recruiting done outside the club at all, with the exception of Bryan. Disappointed we weren't able to attract anyone away from WP. Having said that, when EP roll out Joel Houghton as a recruit and as a potential FF it seems there may not have been a lot out there. I also think that if Giobbi represents our only league loss from the list, then we've slightly improved over last year.

I think it also has to be said that new AFL rules around rookies and mid-season draft etc have made the job of recruiting or retaining players at WAFL level that much harder. So has the fact that the WCE have a reserves team, despite the rules imposed on them re recruiting.

Devon McFarlane leaves a big hole to fill. His foot skills was elite and he was a great decision maker with the ball.

Otherwise a pretty fair wrap of where we are at I reckon. You are spot on about the impact of the AFL mid-season draft. I think that is being felt in recruitig across all second-tier comps.

This hopefully is the year when Marshall Jones stands up and becomes that key forward we all hope he will become.

Geezus not another talented left footer gone. So we've lost McFarlane, Giobi and Wilkins? Anyone else I don't know about? Rogers covers one of those losses but losing all 3 will be very hard to cover. Wilkins I thought was getting better and better. McFarlane is real class. Can anyone shed any light on the reasons McFarlane and Wilkins have pulled the pin? Are we going to see them wind up at another WAFL club? I'll be spewing if that happens.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163373

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1358
Anyone got any explanations?
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163378

• Ted Nugent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
DD, someone on this site said MacFarlane was due to work commitments. Don't know any more than that. Don't know for sure whether Wilkins has left, he is still on the club website.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163387

• Ted Nugent
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sorry, quick correction to an earlier post: Marlin is not taller than M Jones, he is 1cm shorter. However, I still regard Marlin as a better option. He showed he is capable of playing forward in the reserves last year and was a proven league player (albeit in defence) a couple of years ago.

Best Side 5 years 2 months ago #163389

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 119

DD wrote:

Dazzler wrote:

Geezus not another talented left footer gone. So we've lost McFarlane, Giobi and Wilkins? Anyone else I don't know about? Rogers covers one of those losses but losing all 3 will be very hard to cover. Wilkins I thought was getting better and better. McFarlane is real class. Can anyone shed any light on the reasons McFarlane and Wilkins have pulled the pin? Are we going to see them wind up at another WAFL club? I'll be spewing if that happens.

If we're talking about left footers don't forget to add Spencer White as well.

Moderators: Dazzler

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 651 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977