Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

News 4 years 11 months ago #165848

• Durtle
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
MENU
SELECT NEWSPAPER

WAFL: East Perth Royals ready to take on reigning premiers
April 1st, 2019, 11:00AMWritten by Jessica Warriner Guardian ExpressSPORT
Kyle Anderson (co-captain), Jeremy Barnard (head coach) and new recruit Angus Scott. Picture: Martin Kennealey www.communitypix.com.au d492031.

THE ROYALS are raring to go for their 2019 WAFL season.

East Perth will take on their Leederville Oval ground-mates and 2018 premiers Subiaco in round one.

Head coach Jeremy Barnard said the team was looking forward to the challenge.

“You’re never going to get a better measure than how you are against last year’s premiers,” he said.

“You can train for as long as you want and have as many practise games as you want, but there’s nothing like playing footy.”

Barnard said East Perth’s players had responded well to season preparation, and the team was focused on reinforcing club culture and a ‘never say die’ attitude.

“We’ve got some really exciting players and experienced players – co-captains Patrick McGinnity and Kyle Anderson, Tarir Bayok, we’re really impressed with how he’s gone and he’ll be into the midfield, and we’re looking forward to Ajang Ajang having some real opportunity to lead our ruck,” he said.

We’ll see Angus Scott and Rohan Kerr in the wings, and we think they’ll be really good for us.”

Barnard encouraged new spectators to come and join the ranks of their local club.

“I’ve spent 14 years in Victoria, and Western Australia has beaten Victoria and South Australia in the last two state games,” he said.

“This is the second best competition in Australia.

“You get far more access both to the players and the coaches in the WAFL. Just being able to come down, listen to the coach, watch your favourite players, let your kids have a kick on the ground.”

Barnard said East Perth will also be doing something a bit different to most clubs – they will be allowing members into the change rooms to have a listen to post-match speeches.

“We’re really bullish about how we’re going to go. We’re not quite sure, but what we do know is that with our East Perth culture and attitude, we’ll give ourselves every opportunity,” he said.

“We’re is looking to win every game.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

News 4 years 11 months ago #165861

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
Thanks for posting this, Durtle.
I'm certainly not expecting miracles from the Mighty Royals this year, but if Jeremy Barnard can instill the hard-edged approach that typified his 221 games in the blue-and-black, then we won't be the pushovers that many are expecting us to be.
Hopefully being free of the Eagles shackles will give those players who stayed true to the cause a sense of freedom and increased confidence, plus bring back those fans who left the club in disgust at the alignment.

News 4 years 11 months ago #165889

• ROYAL 2019
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 40
I’m more worried about the supporters that stayed through gritted teeth and kept the club going Archie. I hope for their sake we can win a few games and build over the next few years. I notice the same white ants are still around though attacking new recruits and the football club.

News 4 years 11 months ago #165894

• chaddy22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 137
Seems to be conflicting views intrernally and externally about the club and how it needed to rebuild.I think recruiting has been measured. .people should give the club and players a fair go.it may take some time with so many new faces for players to gel.also will take time to find what is the best 22 .easy for subi they only have to replace only a few.In the end we finally don't have to play players because they are on a afl list and we should all be happy for that.this will be a year of discovery.we may find a few gems but most of all we will see how much we need to improve to be a top 5 team.

Last edit: by chaddy22.

News 4 years 11 months ago #165895

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
True, R2019, though I attended our games, the passion was on life support during the alignment.
I reckon those supporters who hung in there the past 5-6 years are realistic enough not to expect miracles.
As Chaddy said, we need to give the players time to gel.
That said, it's great to have the footy back for another season.
Expect the unexpected.

News 4 years 11 months ago #166428

• Durtle
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Mitch Howlett, a promising player, gas walked out of East Perth and returned to Busselton after being named as an emergency in last week's Subiaco game.

Obviously haven't heard Mitch's story so no going to judge him. He is a very talented and promising player who would had been a nice addition to the Royals. Good luck to Mitch.

News 4 years 11 months ago #166429

• ROYAL 2019
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Swan Districts poached him the week before round 1. Not realising he was contracted and on the protected list. Unbelievable really from all reports the club looked after him very well and he has done a Spaanderman. I think for the club to slowly rebuild we need people of strong character. Pickering is still hammering his old clubs playing stocks.

Last edit: by ROYAL 2019.

News 4 years 11 months ago #166498

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007

ROYAL 2019 wrote: Swan Districts poached him the week before round 1. Not realising he was contracted and on the protected list. Unbelievable really from all reports the club looked after him very well and he has done a Spaanderman. I think for the club to slowly rebuild we need people of strong character. Pickering is still hammering his old clubs playing stocks.

That is very poor from Swans if true ROYAL 2019 and I have no reason to doubt you as you appear to know the inside situation. Well done to your boys yesterday. A deserved victory.

News 4 years 11 months ago #166515

• ROYAL 2019
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Mike first unassisted win in 5 years. I wouldn’t condemn Swans without knowing who made the first contact. More down to a player that has let EP down for the second time. Ordinary but hard fought game, impressed with Swans marking power down back. Probably shift one forward and have a better balance, you will miss Palmer too by the look of things.

News 4 years 11 months ago #166520

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

Durtle wrote: Mitch Howlett, a promising player, gas walked out of East Perth and returned to Busselton after being named as an emergency in last week's Subiaco game.

Obviously haven't heard Mitch's story so no going to judge him. He is a very talented and promising player who would had been a nice addition to the Royals. Good luck to Mitch.

Not a great loss, it is a reflection of his attitude and not something the club needs, he is better suited to being a small fish in a small pond!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Moderators: royallucky

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 426 guests and 4 members online

• Whitey
  • Demons Forever
  • Time For a Flag
  • Blackduck

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma