Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124651

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
In regards the late 80s and early 90s, I mean the Neesham era at Claremont. The club had a very good side, possiblly the greatest golden time of any side in the competion. What i would like to discuss is Neesham's coach style -- the kicking it side ways, backwards, around corners and every which way.

How far did Neesham invent the 'possession style' of football that pervades the code these days? Also, does anyone remember the shepherd tactic Claremont used in their play?

That was entirelly unique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124661

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Ark did H Bunton start that possession game at Subi a few years earlier than Cmt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

Last edit: by gtrxuone.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124667

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
hey gtr: thanks. I think your right about Subi under Bunton. We had a habit of buggerising about with the ball something chronic. I used to joke that our aim was to blind the opposiition with our football stupidity at times. I remember him being asked about it once or twice and he said it was the players whom decided what to do with the ball.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124673

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1327
Ark going back to that America's Cup Challenge, Subi V Hawthorn. Remember Alan Jean's talking about Subis style of play in the exhibition match.Jeans stated he had no answer to combat that type of play because he had never seen it before.
The same goes for run on football.We where playing that style for a decade while the Vics where still playing the big mark torpedo punt footy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124677

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
From memory I think the 1991 CL side barely changed from week to week, they had a very stable side and backed themselves in to get the job done game after game which they did...bar Round 1! ;)

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124683

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
gtr: I remember that game, thanks for reminding me about Jeans' comments afterwards. From memory we kicked the ball back and across the ground quite often, usually through Phil Lamb and Mark Zanotti. Bunton had put together a good side which was unique to watch, you are right.

bh: the claremont side was a good one,at times they played among themselves. I am sure I saw Neesham and Rowland kick the ball backwards and forwards to each other three or four times, before EF finally manned them both up. Now of course, you can do that if you are in front on the scoreboard.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124690

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872

ArkRoyal wrote: gtr: I remember that game, thanks for reminding me about Jeans' comments afterwards. From memory we kicked the ball back and across the ground quite often, usually through Phil Lamb and Mark Zanotti. Bunton had put together a good side which was unique to watch, you are right.

bh: the claremont side was a good one,at times they played among themselves. I am sure I saw Neesham and Rowland kick the ball backwards and forwards to each other three or four times, before EF finally manned them both up. Now of course, you can do that if you are in front on the scoreboard.

AR I always remember every week listening to Minno & John Irish Hayes on a Thursday night with their show Footy Teams For Saturday on 6NR and the Claremont side was virtually unchanged every week that year. Their team manager used to read the side out from the backline and by Round 21 you knew it off by heart.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124760

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
Yeah at the WAFL level Cl were bullies...interesting enough tho a lot of those bullies were less than average at the next level when given an opportunity...didnt Neesham butcher a lot of Freo's early draft picks getting some real duds back from over east?....Benny Allan was a champ tho...pity he had buggered knees.

Last edit: by Freezin.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124764

• Ti Em
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 250

Freezin wrote: Yeah at the WAFL level Cl were bullies...interesting enough tho a lot of those bullies were less than average at the next level when given an opportunity...didnt Neesham butcher a lot of Freo's early draft picks getting some real duds back from over east?....Benny Allan was a champ tho...pity he had buggered knees.

Well i would of thought a lot of those bullies were " average" not less than average. The 1987 Claremont side had ex VFL players like Warren Ralph, Peter Thorne and Neesham himself. I don't think any of those 3 had what could be called successful stints in the VFL. Of the player s who emerged around that time Derek and Dale Kickett, Ben Allan, Don Pyke, Tony Evans, Peter Mann and Jason Norrish where the stand outs in terms of VFL/AFL careers. Guard, Gilbert ,Delaney,Hutton,McGovern. Chisholm and Ridley were among those players who did not quite go on at the next level. I am sure i have missed many others.

The late 80s to early 90s 6 years 9 months ago #124770

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 920
Muir, Merrillo,Leach, Gilbert,Carroll, Edwards & Hutton are some names from memory....who made Cl a very strong WAFL side...I guess it was a case of Neesham knowing them first hand and sharing success with them
How many premierships did Neesham win all together?....EF, SD and Cl....must be on similar terms with Tuck at Hawthorn I reckon

Moderators: Tiger of old

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 312 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes