Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162114

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Freezin and others: How would you compare the abilities of Purser and Wim Rosbender of the PFC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162126

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154
I might get some Perth supporters disagreeing with me, but Chittlebourgh and Edwards where solid performers in Perth's 1966-68 flags but were not in the calibre of other ruckman around at the time (although I think Chittlebourgh made the State squad one year). However, top quality rovers Cable and Bennett made up for whatever skills the two big hearted ruckman lacked, and Perth never lacked drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162128

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SH: thanks for that post on Perth's 1960s ruck. In relation to the 1970s side, I am sure Rosbender would have been a very solid performer as well without necessaritly being the best in the WANFL. Moss would have been the leadding ruckman in 1977? Whom would you put as the leading ruckmen of the 1960s?

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162133

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ArkRoyal wrote: SH: thanks for that post on Perth's 1960s ruck. In relation to the 1970s side, I am sure Rosbender would have been a very solid performer as well without necessaritly being the best in the WANFL. Moss would have been the leadding ruckman in 1977? Whom would you put as the leading ruckmen of the 1960s?

Ark, Rosbender was a good ruckman - held his own many times - but similar to his 1960s counterparts had superb rovers in Wiley and Mitsopoulos who could shark if necessary. Moss was a great ruckman, but Claremont didn't become a strong club until after 1977 and the arrival of quality small men to take advantage of his dominance. You'd think I was a rover when I played - I certainly wasn't - but I think the key is that a quality 'ruck' comprises three men that can accommodate and negate each others' weaknesses - Chittlebourgh, Astone, Cable the best example.

Memory only applies to the late 60s onward, so I won't comment on other ruckman from that decade.

Good topic by the way.

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162134

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924

ArkRoyal wrote: Freezin and others: How would you compare the abilities of Purser and Wim Rosbender of the PFC?

Can't say I really paid much attention to Rosbender Ark back in those days......obviously remember Purser from the 79 GF derby win....he and another youngster in Carter were EF ruck division that year....good mobile ruck who played during those horror early 80s for EF.....before leaving in 83 to play for my team in the VFL Footscray, winning a F&B there in 1984.....retired too young at 28.....played a few games for WP from memory...2.....I think?

Last edit: by Freezin.

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162139

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SH: Thanks your very kind. I think your absolutely right about needing a 'ruck which can accommadate and negate each other's weaknesses' which is a great turn of phrase as well. Turning back to Perth in the 1970s, it is clear that Wiley and 'mitsi' were very good rovers with stong support from Rosbender; the rest of the team, from what I have read was very even and had a good coach in Ken Armstrong.

Who was the best rover you have seen in terms of 'sharking' the opposition ruck knocks? I imagine Bill Walker would be right up there with the best?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Success Hill

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162159

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ArkRoyal wrote: SH: Thanks your very kind. I think your absolutely right about needing a 'ruck which can accommadate and negate each other's weaknesses' which is a great turn of phrase as well. Turning back to Perth in the 1970s, it is clear that Wiley and 'mitsi' were very good rovers with stong support from Rosbender; the rest of the team, from what I have read was very even and had a good coach in Ken Armstrong.

Who was the best rover you have seen in terms of 'sharking' the opposition ruck knocks? I imagine Bill Walker would be right up there with the best?

The 1977 Grand Final epitomised Perth's strength during that period. Dry, warm day and Perth cut EF to pieces along the wings with overlap and pace. Johnson was on a motorcycle that day....

Walker was in my opinion the best Ark at sharking an opponent's tap. His winning of one of his Sandovers (1970) and collecting runner up (1968) in pitifully weak SD sides with poor ruckman highlight his reading of the ruck contests.

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162164

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SH -- thanks -- I think Walker was similar to Robertson at Subi, both played well in good or indifferent sides, which, as you said, was a sign of their greatness.

While making comparisons, Cable never played in a bad side, at least in this state. How do you think he would have gone in a weak side such as Walker played in at SD?

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162415

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

ArkRoyal wrote: SH -- thanks -- I think Walker was similar to Robertson at Subi, both played well in good or indifferent sides, which, as you said, was a sign of their greatness.

While making comparisons, Cable never played in a bad side, at least in this state. How do you think he would have gone in a weak side such as Walker played in at SD?

Robertson is the best example of a champion footballer in a weak team Ark; and look what happened when he was finally was in a good team with a great coach (1968). His exploits in the late 60s made even young SD supporters want him to kick a packet every week – but not against the Black and Whites.

That's an interesting observation about Cable Ark - I'd never noticed that before. The hypothetical reply is always option based, especially as Cable and Walker were completely different rovers – which is one reason why one rarely hears of the Walker/Cable roving clash when Perth and Swan Districts played. Walker was in and under – but ALWAYS stayed on his feet, and his pace provided him the wonderful knack of following up and securing the loose ball after lesser skilled players had fumbled or were still gaining their balance. Extremely accurate disposal was Cable’s greatest asset, and Perth’s game plan gave him plenty of room away from packs to use his skills – his long, penetrating dropkick to a man his signature. Now, the question – would this game style have worked in lesser skilled teams? I do not know. However, North finished last when Cable played with them in 1970, but he was good enough to collect a club Fairest and Best and come fourth in the Brownlow. All that suggests that Cable was quality in any team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, Archie Duda Goal Machine

Rucks and Success 5 years 3 months ago #162480

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
SH -- thanks very much for your post

It would have been great to see Cable's long drop kicks, as you know they had been coached out of the game by the time I had started to watch Aussie rules. I think the measure of Cable was highlighted later on too, when during the Malcolm Blight crisis, they made Barry coach to make certain Blight stayed at the club.

Walker, I think, would have relished playing in Victoria because packs were more common and he would have been in his element. Talking about Walker being an expert 'on staying on your feet', SH, do you find it a wee bit strange that, in our time, players are almost encouragged to do the opposite and 'go to ground'?

Some of the coaching defies football logic.

Did Robertson kick 15.11 on the final day in 1968? Was it Bunton and Blackmore whom kicked the ball to him? The whole history shows, once again, what a strong competition the WANFL was back then. Those, three, as you know SH, were three of the best players to ever represent the Lions, and despite all their efforts we could only finish fourth.

I always enjoy reading and replying to your posts.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 280 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog