Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161054

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

swan42 wrote:

Grump wrote:

mikeh wrote: Say what you like about recruiting but there is something fundamentally wrong with a competition where the undefeated premiers of 2018 are permitted to recruit a player developed in the zone of the club which finished bottom of the ladder in the same year. You don't blame the player because he is just looking for the best deal he can get. You don't blame the recruiting club because they are not breaking any rules. The WAFC is where the responsibility lies for turning this competition into a complete joke.

MikeH there are plenty of similar instances and there was nary a bleat abt them but when a club who can afford to and has a better reputation can there is a bleat. Yes it is sad that Harry is not playing for EF but it is more abt his heritage with the club.

Grump the problem is there is an existential threat to the WAFL. The threat is the continuing domination by Subiaco that does not appear to be cyclical in nature or is likely to finish anytime soon. When you take into consideration the changes that have been foisted on the WAFL clubs by the WAFC in concert with a completely dominant Subiaco do you seriously think that WAFL supporters are going to continue to support the competition when nothing is going to change?

The WAFC has chosen to support East Perth to ensure they are competitive in the wake of East Perth's decision to align with the Eagles and the financial benefits that they have accrued as a consequence of that alignment. What support has the WAFC given to improve Perth's lot over the past few years?

42 you are obviously not aware Perth have a protected player list of 45 (everyone else has 40) and also have 10 extra player points than the other WAFL clubs (EF may also now have 10 extra).
Considering SD have won only 1 Premiership (by a measly 1 point) in 29 years next year what support have we received to help get improvement from that absolutely useless organisation called the WAFC?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161056

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Grump wrote:

mikeh wrote: Say what you like about recruiting but there is something fundamentally wrong with a competition where the undefeated premiers of 2018 are permitted to recruit a player developed in the zone of the club which finished bottom of the ladder in the same year. You don't blame the player because he is just looking for the best deal he can get. You don't blame the recruiting club because they are not breaking any rules. The WAFC is where the responsibility lies for turning this competition into a complete joke.

MikeH there are plenty of similar instances and there was nary a bleat abt them but when a club who can afford to and has a better reputation can there is a bleat. Yes it is sad that Harry is not playing for EF but it is more abt his heritage with the club.

Grump the problem is there is an existential threat to the WAFL. The threat is the continuing domination by Subiaco that does not appear to be cyclical in nature or is likely to finish anytime soon. When you take into consideration the changes that have been foisted on the WAFL clubs by the WAFC in concert with a completely dominant Subiaco do you seriously think that WAFL supporters are going to continue to support the competition when nothing is going to change?

The WAFC has chosen to support East Perth to ensure they are competitive in the wake of East Perth's decision to align with the Eagles and the financial benefits that they have accrued as a consequence of that alignment. What support has the WAFC given to improve Perth's lot over the past few years?

42 you are obviously not aware Perth have a protected player list of 45 (everyone else has 40) and also have 10 extra player points than the other WAFL clubs (EF may also now have 10 extra).
Considering SD have won only 1 Premiership (by a measly 1 point) in 29 years next year what support have we received to help get improvement from that absolutely useless organisation called the WAFC?!

BH I would consider those measures to be pretty marginal in trying to counter Subiaco's domination. And if we received a similar concession it would also be pretty insignificant in countering Subiaco's dominance. Whereas if the WAFC had introduced a weighting factor based on the relative positions of the clubs (9(th) - 1(st) + 1 =9) would mean that it would cost Subiaco 9 times more than what Marsh's points would ordinarily have cost.

This could also apply to other clubs that finished in the finals; so effectively providing a disincentive for more successful clubs recruiting from less successful clubs.

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161075

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Yes the WAFC should be doing something to provide clubs to play on an even field but that is the WAFC doing something positive and not penalising clubs for their outcomes.

Yep the Subi league team needs to face better opponents that can compete and stop the continued run but if they have done a good job with their colts this season especially when you consider the past couple of seasons when they were a bit of a basket case as with their reserves. It will be telling to see over the next season or two to see how many of those colts or ressies are translated into the league process, given their reduced financial bucket will they be able to continue down this track.

I was unaware of the help Perth and EF ave been given and whilst EP are getting a handout as I have stated previously we should not be so privileged a little yes but .......... .

I think that the WAFL is ok and unlike some I think the inclusion of the toasters reserves will help with attendances and if it is to be believed the WCE are fully aware of the need to limit their merchandising impact given the comments in one of the rags.

Their needs to be positive action not limiting action as I think the negative would cast the WAFL in a bad light!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161081

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Grump wrote: Yes the WAFC should be doing something to provide clubs to play on an even field but that is the WAFC doing something positive and not penalising clubs for their outcomes.

Yep the Subi league team needs to face better opponents that can compete and stop the continued run but if they have done a good job with their colts this season especially when you consider the past couple of seasons when they were a bit of a basket case as with their reserves. It will be telling to see over the next season or two to see how many of those colts or ressies are translated into the league process, given their reduced financial bucket will they be able to continue down this track.

I was unaware of the help Perth and EF ave been given and whilst EP are getting a handout as I have stated previously we should not be so privileged a little yes but .......... .

I think that the WAFL is ok and unlike some I think the inclusion of the toasters reserves will help with attendances and if it is to be believed the WCE are fully aware of the need to limit their merchandising impact given the comments in one of the rags.

Their needs to be positive action not limiting action as I think the negative would cast the WAFL in a bad light!

Grump I am not aware of the comments you are referring to, so could you please elaborate on those comments?

As an example, is East Fremantle better or worse because Subiaco were able to recruit Marsh?

Do you have any ideas of what the WAFC should do to try to improve the lot of the weaker clubs?

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161083

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

swan42 wrote:

Grump wrote: Yes the WAFC should be doing something to provide clubs to play on an even field but that is the WAFC doing something positive and not penalising clubs for their outcomes.

I think that the WAFL is ok and unlike some I think the inclusion of the toasters reserves will help with attendances and if it is to be believed the WCE are fully aware of the need to limit their merchandising impact given the comments in one of the rags. In the sundry tomes or worst there was a piece saying that the Weagles are conscious that they do not to see their jumpers being worn by kids etc to the exclusion of the wafl clubs.

Grump I am not aware of the comments you are referring to, so could you please elaborate on those comments?

As an example, is East Fremantle better or worse because Subiaco were able to recruit Marsh? Is he better off perhaps there is the point rather than the club, loyalty to the jumper and club is not like it was and perhaps that is where his decision lies.

Do you have any ideas of what the WAFC should do to try to improve the lot of the weaker clubs?

I think one suggestion was that there is a points penalty applied for all non home grown players over and above what is in place now until there is some level of parity achieved. Also a more closely monitored process regarding salary for all players, coaches and support staff rather than what we have now. we are all suspicious of the rumours and innuendo regarding the number of coaches some clubs have and thus avoid the true reflection of the salary cap.

one from left field would be that the less successful clubs can draft reserves or players who played less than x league games (injury aside) from the top three or four with say 3 from the top, 2 from second and one each from 3rd and 4th.
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161106

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Grump wrote:

swan42 wrote:

I think that the WAFL is ok and unlike some I think the inclusion of the toasters reserves will help with attendances and if it is to be believed the WCE are fully aware of the need to limit their merchandising impact given the comments in one of the rags. In the sundry tomes or worst there was a piece saying that the Weagles are conscious that they do not to see their jumpers being worn by kids etc to the exclusion of the wafl clubs.

As an example, is East Fremantle better or worse because Subiaco were able to recruit Marsh? Is he better off perhaps there is the point rather than the club, loyalty to the jumper and club is not like it was and perhaps that is where his decision lies.

I think one suggestion was that there is a points penalty applied for all non home grown players over and above what is in place now until there is some level of parity achieved. Also a more closely monitored process regarding salary for all players, coaches and support staff rather than what we have now. we are all suspicious of the rumours and innuendo regarding the number of coaches some clubs have and thus avoid the true reflection of the salary cap.

one from left field would be that the less successful clubs can draft reserves or players who played less than x league games (injury aside) from the top three or four with say 3 from the top, 2 from second and one each from 3rd and 4th.

Grump I think there should be a greater emphasis on providing penalties if a top club wants to recruit the top echelon of players from the lower clubs. e.g if Subiaco wants to recruit a 10 point player from East Freo instead of 10 points it was going to cost 80 points Subiaco would not recruit that player. This would help East Freo.

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161122

• Godinoz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 26
So if Marsh decided to sign up with South Freo and not Subi, would it be the same scenario swan42?

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161123

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015

Godinoz wrote: So if Marsh decided to sign up with South Freo and not Subi, would it be the same scenario swan42?

South Freo have not been a dominant team in the competition in the last decade. 1 premiership in 10 years is testament to that. Subiaco's period of dominance has extended beyond what would be considered as a normal cycle and yet they are still being allowed to skim the talent from other less resourced clubs to the detriment of the whole competition and ultimately themselves as well in the long term. As I said I'm not blaming Subiaco, any club would have taken advantage of a situation like this. To have a viable competition and attract people to come and watch games we have to have genuine competition and at the moment I cannot think of a team that will challenge Subiaco in any sense in 2019.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by mikeh.

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161128

• Jjim
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Brady Grey to West coast as their marquee player according to this mornings west.

2019 Ins & Outs 5 years 4 months ago #161130

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Godinoz wrote: So if Marsh decided to sign up with South Freo and not Subi, would it be the same scenario swan42?

NO. see mikeh's response.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 291 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• CarlosPhymn
  • Helenusaph
  • DJbem
  • kyliefrisp
  • chaibrA