Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158554

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Previously I have not nammed any such defeats for other clubs, but I think I will start.

The 1980 Preliminary Final -- I am not having that result:

28.13 to 15.16 or smething

SD were a bloody good side, it was dry and hot, conditions in which they were in their element the black and whites, but fourteen goals?

EP had won against SD in series three and the other two games they got within five or six goals. In addition, together with South and SD, EP defeatted every other club during the season. Given that context, what happened in the preliminary final was a shocking effort by the Royals.

It was Barry Cable's last involvement in WA football too, probably one of the few times in his career that he left a loser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158557

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
I'd forgotten (or tried to) about that dismal day, Ark.
You were on the money with the score, apart from giving EP an extra point.
Bizarrely, the 76-point margin in the 1980 prelim final was the exact reverse of the teams' Round 16 match at Perth Oval eight weeks earlier.
Of course, just two years earlier the Royals flogged South Freo by 112 points in the prelim final, having scraped home by two points against the Bulldogs four weeks earlier at Perth Oval.
While on drastic form reversals, these two games from 1977 stand out.
Round 14, Lathlain Park: Perth 29.12 (186) EP 11.8 (74)
Round 21, Perth Oval: EP 26.19 (175) Perth 9.7 (61)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158558

• swansfan4life
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132
South Fremantle in 1978. Started round 19 in 2nd place on the ladder 2 games and 7% clear of 5th position. Lost Round 19 to Claremont by 3 goals, Round 20 to East Perth by 2 points, Round 21 to bottom team Swan Districts by 19 points at Fremantle Oval. Finished the regular season .06 % points ahead of 5th place Claremont who lost to Perth in the last round. Defeated West Perth in the 1st Semi Final by 2 goals, then got clobbered in the Preliminary Final to the tune of 112 points against East Perth.

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158559

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
AD,swansfanforlife: great posts. On the face of it, Malcolm Brown should have been in trouble at the end of the 1978 season, limpping into the finals, after lossing to the bottom side at home; but, to be fair to the red v, as people would know, SD came good late in the season and also defeatted Perth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158572

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

gtrxuone wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote:

gtrxuone wrote: Oh boy where does a Swans support start.Anytime late in the season the last couple of seasons.
1976-77-78 seasons.After two narrow Prelim losses in 74,75.
But I will narrow it down to 3 games late in the 1981 season.Probably one of Swans best sides on paper.
Round 21 v Claremont.Lead by 26 points at 3\4 time and lost.
81 second semi didn't bark a yelp
81 Prelim smashed by 14 goals.Lead by 12 points at half time.

That 81 side was close to the best side we ever put on the park GTR which made our Finals capitulation even more hard to understand at the time?!

BH Swans boys played out of there skins in 82,83,84.Yep imo 81 was a gun side but that year the Wafl had 3 heavyweight sides.+the loss of Richo+ Solin in the finals that year.

GTR in hindsight that 1981 Prelim Final second half shellacking may have been a blessing in disguise as I have no doubt it was a motivating factor in our 1982-83-84 seasons!

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158657

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332
1995 2nd semi. We lost only 2 games that year in the qualifying rounds, if we didn’t blow the 2nd semi by 1 pt we would’ve won the flag I recon. Farkn joondy got a huge confidence boost from that game
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158665

• Leedy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 148

DG wrote: 1995 2nd semi. We lost only 2 games that year in the qualifying rounds, if we didn’t blow the 2nd semi by 1 pt we would’ve won the flag I recon. Farkn joondy got a huge confidence boost from that game

Dags,

I firmly believe the damage was done or the confidence boost in 95 came in the last qualifying game where we were 10 goals down at 3/4 time, we kicked 10 goals to 1 and lost by 3 points. If we had layed down that day in the last 1/4 we would have got dicked in that Final Series.

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158666

• Time For a Flag
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • The VFL is not the AFL
  • Thank you received: 133
Surprising lack of responses from Perth Supporters. I can remember two games where I was extremely disappointed, both against Claremont. First time I bought 15 nurse mates along after extolling the virtues of the WAFL to them for long periods. I think a few of them were hoping to be introduced to the boys at the post game awards. Anyway Claremont won by near on 30 goals. It would have been 2010 @ Lathlain early in the season. Similarly @ Lathlain again - this time bringing along some overseas visitors to watch "some real football" and again V Claremont - The Tigers ripped us another new one and may have won by as much as 31 goals. Circa 2013. I will check dates for both but both were unacceptable and gave me a knock. Claremont are my least favourite team because of same. Though I admire them the most as well.
Victorians still laugh at West Aussies because of the way we bailed out the vfl and then allowed it to be called it the AFL!

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158689

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154
Remember it well. The third quarter kicking to the Subiaco end of the ground seemed an endless run of Smith to Beasley goal; Smith to Beasley goal; Smith to Beasley goal. Beasley kicked six that quarter and Swans 13.

ArkRoyal wrote: Previously I have not nammed any such defeats for other clubs, but I think I will start.

The 1980 Preliminary Final -- I am not having that result:

28.13 to 15.16 or smething

SD were a bloody good side, it was dry and hot, conditions in which they were in their element the black and whites, but fourteen goals?

EP had won against SD in series three and the other two games they got within five or six goals. In addition, together with South and SD, EP defeatted every other club during the season. Given that context, what happened in the preliminary final was a shocking effort by the Royals.

It was Barry Cable's last involvement in WA football too, probably one of the few times in his career that he left a loser.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, ArkRoyal

Naughty defeats all Clubs 5 years 6 months ago #158691

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
He was a good footballer, Mike Smith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 308 guests and 3 members online

• one time only
  • Whinnen

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977