Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #157993

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
At least Swans have a decent conversion rate when they get into Grand Finals ( 8 flags out of 12 played) which is well over the average. The problem is them actually getting there when you consider that Subiaco have been in as many Grand FInals in the last 16 years as Swans have in their entire 84 year history.

Also these figures make a mockery of the proposed special assistance package to East Perth in terms of extra points to enable them to recruit "to be competitive". If they are going to give concessions to anyone surely it would be Perth.

In an ideal word as a supporter, given your club makes good decisions on coaching, recruitment and development of players, you would expect to be in realistic contention for a premiership every 5 years (not that you would always win one, but in a cycle like this it would at least keep your supporters and members involved and interested).

The reality is that now in the WAFL there are some teams including my own who have no realistic hope of winning a flag for the next 5 years unless there is some action taken to provide assistance to clubs who are not in the financial situation of Subiaco,Peel and East Perth so that the competition will become more unpredictable.

Otherwise rusted on supporters like me are going to get fed up and gradually drift away as many already have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #157994

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

BC wrote:

Bazza wrote:

BC wrote: Yep...not a whole lot separating Subi and Claremont in that time then as you say Freez, then there's a group all pretty well tied together after that. It also shows 2016 and 17 were a pimple on the arse of the WAFL when looking at what Peel has achieved since their inception 22 years ago and how Perth seriously needs additional help from the WAFC.

Im not sure what help you mean BC , think they get everything all the erest of us get (bar Subi) You can chuck Swans in there will Perth as well, pretty ordinary performance by them tbh.

I keep hearing how Perth are sound financially , well maybe its time they spent some dough from the mysterious Trust they have.

Agree re Perth lashing out and spending a bit Baz. Those numbers since 1987 are shocking and should be enough to get Perth's board to be proactive and do something about it. I'm not sure what impact the Eagles landing at Lathlain will have on Perth's operating costs or whether they'll cause a bit of a lift in revenue through increased patronage of bars etc on Eagles training nights, family days and so on...but if it helps PFC's bottom line then I'd be spending it on quality recruits as the poor suffering supporters must have had enough by now.

Imagine going to games knowing there is a 70% chance you will lose.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #157995

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

mikeh wrote: At least Swans have a decent conversion rate when they get into Grand Finals ( 8 flags out of 12 played) which is well over the average. The problem is them actually getting there when you consider that Subiaco have been in as many Grand FInals in the last 16 years as Swans have in their entire 84 year history.

Also these figures make a mockery of the proposed special assistance package to East Perth in terms of extra points to enable them to recruit "to be competitive". If they are going to give concessions to anyone surely it would be Perth.

In an ideal word as a supporter, given your club makes good decisions on coaching, recruitment and development of players, you would expect to be in realistic contention for a premiership every 5 years (not that you would always win one, but in a cycle like this it would at least keep your supporters and members involved and interested).

The reality is that now in the WAFL there are some teams including my own who have no realistic hope of winning a flag for the next 5 years unless there is some action taken to provide assistance to clubs who are not in the financial situation of Subiaco,Peel and East Perth so that the competition will become more unpredictable.

Otherwise rusted on supporters like me are going to get fed up and gradually drift away as many already have.

Do you put Swans performance in the post eagles era down to financials?

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #157997

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Bazza wrote:

mikeh wrote: At least Swans have a decent conversion rate when they get into Grand Finals ( 8 flags out of 12 played) which is well over the average. The problem is them actually getting there when you consider that Subiaco have been in as many Grand FInals in the last 16 years as Swans have in their entire 84 year history.

Do you put Swans performance in the post eagles era down to financials?

Partially but not entirely. The club came very close to shutting its doors in the early 2000's and of course there was the more recent issue which came mainly from poor management with the club living beyond its means. A 45% win rate is pretty consistent with figures in other periods throughout the clubs history apart from the early 80's of course when the team was a juggernaut.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #158020

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Taking another tack on a teams dominance in a particular era, Subiaco have become the 5th team since the introduction of the Page system in 1931 to play in 5 consecutive Grand Finals. East Perth lead the way with 6 in a row from 1956 - 1961, they won 3 and lost 3 of these. The others were Claremont (1936 - 1940), South Fremantle (1950 - 54) and Claremont again ( 1987 - 1991). A honourable mention to East Perth who played in 6 out of the 7 grand finals between 1966 - 1972 but lost all of them bar one.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #158029

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

mikeh wrote: Taking another tack on a teams dominance in a particular era, Subiaco have become the 5th team since the introduction of the Page system in 1931 to play in 5 consecutive Grand Finals. East Perth lead the way with 6 in a row from 1956 - 1961, they won 3 and lost 3 of these. The others were Claremont (1936 - 1940), South Fremantle (1950 - 54) and Claremont again ( 1987 - 1991). A honourable mention to East Perth who played in 6 out of the 7 grand finals between 1966 - 1972 but lost all of them bar one.

Lets not forget Mike there was no "supposed equalisation" methods in place in those previous dominant eras either!
Salary Cap, Player Points Cap, AFL Listed Players Finals Cap.....
What a complete laughing stock the WAFC are currently responsible for!

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 6 months ago #158030

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The change in fortunes for some WAFL clubs since the advent of the expanded VFL comp has been quite astounding.

Periods of dominance in WAFL history 5 years 4 months ago #160294

• DG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 332

waflfootyfacts wrote: Subiaco and Claremont have both won over 60% of their games since 1987.

My site has a number of periodic tables - (accessed through the Ladders menu)

The link below shows 1987-2018 records

waflfootyfacts.net/ladder/periods.php#20

If anyone wants me to add other periods let me know, only takes a few minutes to add to the page

Cheers

Ric

Hey Ric, any chance you could put a few of past years budgets up on your website over summer like you did a couple of years ago? 1978, 1979, 1973, 1974, 1977, any/all of those years would be great if possible?
"I'll be the fkng sheriff"

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 283 guests and one member online

• alahoy

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977