Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138360

• Ti Em
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 250

Bazza wrote:

mikeh wrote: I read a news item today in which Gavin Taylor stated that Channel 7 were "totally committed" to televising WAFL footy in 2018. They are looking for new sponsors to replace REIWA and the others, although Mcdonalds is still on board.
The same article announced that the Grand final would be on the same weekend as usual (AFL preliminary final weekend) and would be played at Perth Stadium as either a Saturday evening game or Sunday afternoon depending on the AFL fixturing.
Also the season will be starting 2 weeks later (March 31st) because of the reduction of the season to 18 games per team.
Nothing on the finals qualifications changes for players in aligned teams at this stage

At least Maccas are still on board, that is the big one 1 Mill I think.

As long as replacements for Kennards and REIWA can be found it sounds like it will be OK.

The New Stadium will be ridiculous for a WAFL GF, as long as its temporary until a boutique ground, hopefully a downsized Subi can be set up.

The WAFL must be treated as a prestigious event and held on the grandest stage available. Not sure what you mean by a boutique ground - are boutiques not small clothing shops? or expect one to emerge from.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138361

• Tiger Tales
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 135

Ti Em wrote:

Bazza wrote:

mikeh wrote: I read a news item today in which Gavin Taylor stated that Channel 7 were "totally committed" to televising WAFL footy in 2018. They are looking for new sponsors to replace REIWA and the others, although Mcdonalds is still on board.
The same article announced that the Grand final would be on the same weekend as usual (AFL preliminary final weekend) and would be played at Perth Stadium as either a Saturday evening game or Sunday afternoon depending on the AFL fixturing.
Also the season will be starting 2 weeks later (March 31st) because of the reduction of the season to 18 games per team.
Nothing on the finals qualifications changes for players in aligned teams at this stage

As long as replacements for Kennards and REIWA can be found it sounds like it will be OK.

The New Stadium will be ridiculous for a WAFL GF, as long as its temporary until a boutique ground, hopefully a downsized Subi can be set up.

The WAFL must be treated as a prestigious event and held on the grandest stage available. Not sure what you mean by a boutique ground - are boutiques not small clothing shops? or expect one to emerge from.

No point putting the WAFL GF at the new stadium with a crowd that only fills a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the space.

Will lack atmosphere and energy and do nothing for the WAFL attracting interest long term. Be much better to play at a smaller venue which the crowd will nearly fill. Leederville or a redeveloped Subiaco, Fremantle Oval or WACA ground.

Financially I’m not sure the new stadium is viable either. What will the WAFC be charged to hire the stadium by Venues Live for the WAFL GF?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138363

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Tiger Tales wrote:

Ti Em wrote:

Bazza wrote:

No point putting the WAFL GF at the new stadium with a crowd that only fills a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the space.

Will lack atmosphere and energy and do nothing for the WAFL attracting interest long term. Be much better to play at a smaller venue which the crowd will nearly fill. Leederville or a redeveloped Subiaco, Fremantle Oval or WACA ground.

Financially I’m not sure the new stadium is viable either. What will the WAFC be charged to hire the stadium by Venues Live for the WAFL GF?

It doesn't look viable even for an AFL sellout.A possible 20,000 Wafl GF now looks like the Waca.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138364

• Ti Em
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 250

Tiger Tales wrote:

Ti Em wrote:

Bazza wrote:

Will playing the GF at Leederville Oval attract interest long term?

Fremantle Oval first needs to be redeveloped and then still do not see it as being suitable.

Subiaco Oval or the WACA could be options depending on what happens to those venues.

I heard somewhere 20000 is needed at the New Stadium to break even - but could be wrong though. Aiming at 25,000 - 35,000 at the new stadium - perhaps not using the upper levels. Do not see it as detrimental to the long term of the WAFL.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138369

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

Ti Em wrote:

Bazza wrote:

You must be on another planet if you think 12,000 people in a 60,000 seat stadium would be any good.

It would be a shocker, 1000s of empty seats the odd cheer lost in the void with no atmosphere whatsoever.

Plus being a massive financial loss.

Makes more sense to have a dedicated high quality small scale stadium for around 20,000 tops, the WAFC will be staying at Subi and so will a small portion of the stands - if that can be developed then that is the go.

Sounds like we have lost the chance to combine with the WACA for a redeveloped second smaller venue for smaller comps, Sheffield Shield WAFL etc. which would of been better.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 5 months ago #138379

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
The WAFL Grand Final just has to be played at Perth Stadium if you want to keep some sort of elite status about it otherwise playing it at shit tips like Fremantle or Leederville we may as well just join the Amateurs and be done with it!
Maybe the hard working WAFL players who give up a large portion of their time to play and train would also love the chance to play at the new Perth Stadium something they may never get to do if not drafted....would be some reward for them?!
Oh and by the way did the Perth Stadium Management (Venues Live) not give the WAFC a free venue (rent free) for the WAFL GF event...I thought that was announced some time back during the negotiations?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog, Dwert, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 4 months ago #139501

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
When the 2018 fixtures are released just before new year, hopefully we'll also hear news about the new Wafl telecaster. All has been quiet about it recently.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 4 months ago #139525

• Senior Seagull
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 840
Yesterday I spoke to a fairly senior news man at Ch7 who's a long time mate and said that Ch 7 are still intending to and want to broadcast WAFL but it all depends on filling in the lost sponsorship that covers the costs. I understand that Macca's are still on board but Reiwa and Kennards may have pulled the pin.
If they cannot get that extra sponsorship, i think it's beholden upon the WAFC to find that money and the easiest way is to increase the annual contributions from the 2 AFL teams. But being the spineless mob they are, they will try and leach it from the WAFL clubs.

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 4 months ago #139529

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Beasley Hutton wrote: The WAFL Grand Final just has to be played at Perth Stadium if you want to keep some sort of elite status about it otherwise playing it at shit tips like Fremantle or Leederville we may as well just join the Amateurs and be done with it!
Maybe the hard working WAFL players who give up a large portion of their time to play and train would also love the chance to play at the new Perth Stadium something they may never get to do if not drafted....would be some reward for them?!
Oh and by the way did the Perth Stadium Management (Venues Live) not give the WAFC a free venue (rent free) for the WAFL GF event...I thought that was announced some time back during the negotiations?!

BH what if it's Peel V Subi again for the 3rd year in a row.8000 in a 63,000 seat stadium.Waca???

2018 Ch7 WAFL Coverage in doubt 6 years 4 months ago #139532

• Roman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149

gtrxuone wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: The WAFL Grand Final just has to be played at Perth Stadium if you want to keep some sort of elite status about it otherwise playing it at shit tips like Fremantle or Leederville we may as well just join the Amateurs and be done with it!

BH what if it's Peel V Subi again for the 3rd year in a row.8000 in a 63,000 seat stadium.Waca???

Don't get ahead of yourself GTX? Whoever it is, will look embarrassing in a 60K stadium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 716 guests and 3 members online

• Omah
  • Whinnen
  • Mightymagpie88

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL