Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150314

• 58shark
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553
Swan, in response to your comments to me on the Bris v Docks thread, I have started this topic as we were digressing from the intent of the heading.
I support 2 clubs, East Freo followed closely by the Eagles. I don't agree that the WCE nor FFC are destroying the WAFL. Remember, it's the WAFC that allows our 2 WA teams to do what they want, so they (the WAFC) should take the blame for this. Also, the younger generation generally have no strong affiliation to a WA club and on top off that, they obviously consider that the AFL is the best brand in the country. The generation born in the 80's and on (in general) have grown up with a proliferation of AFL being pushed at them. While we do see kids at our WAFL games, sadly they are in a minority. It's all in the hands of the WAFC now - not too sure whether that is good or bad.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150315

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116

58shark wrote: Swan, in response to your comments to me on the Bris v Docks thread, I have started this topic as we were digressing from the intent of the heading.
I support 2 clubs, East Freo followed closely by the Eagles. I don't agree that the WCE nor FFC are destroying the WAFL. Remember, it's the WAFC that allows our 2 WA teams to do what they want, so they (the WAFC) should take the blame for this. Also, the younger generation generally have no strong affiliation to a WA club and on top off that, they obviously consider that the AFL is the best brand in the country. The generation born in the 80's and on (in general) have grown up with a proliferation of AFL being pushed at them. While we do see kids at our WAFL games, sadly they are in a minority. It's all in the hands of the WAFC now - not too sure whether that is good or bad.

Spot on 58, afl is now a business and we are all customers. The youngsters will like it all the time it appeals to em. Once they get sick of it ( perth heat baseball western reds etc) then the problems start. Im sick of the whole damn thing. Dont watch as much these days...one of the major reasons is there are no rules anymore, and the decision making by the umpires in ALL GAMES is nothing short of appalling

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150318

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
Its pretty obvious to me and I would think any independent observer , its the two local franchises that are and have destroyed the WAFL.

The WAFC is only a patsy front man body that is wholly and solely controlled de facto by the wishes of the two franchises.

Cash rules supreme and the WAFC is nothing without the income of the two of them and neither is the WAFL now its totally dependant on it.

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150319

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
Yep perfectly summed up Bazza. All the "decisions" that the WAFC make are at the complete behest of the two AFL clubs who control the purse strings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150322

• 58shark
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553

Bazza wrote: Its pretty obvious to me and I would think any independent observer , its the two local franchises that are and have destroyed the WAFL.

The WAFC is only a patsy front man body that is wholly and solely controlled de facto by the wishes of the two franchises.

Cash rules supreme and the WAFC is nothing without the income of the two of them and neither is the WAFL now its totally dependant on it.

Don't agree Baz. Back to my point of the WAFC allowing the 2 clubs to push them around. If it became a money issue only, I can't see the higher powers around Australia allow the WAFL to disappear. That would be a catastrophe to AFL clubs that watch our boys develop then pick them. Keeping in mind that a majority of the league is made up of ex VFL clubs, they would have their own interests at heart.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150323

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109
I believe it's the the old supporters who turned up in quantity back in the 1980's who no longer go & no one has replaced them. Attendances at WAFL game are now incredibly low. Costs have risen but income has decreased. TV is offering people comfort in the home to watch the game. If you want it to survive then go & take your mates. Dont blame the AFL. Blame yourself.

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150325

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
To go even further WAFL fan stronghold clubs like SD are to blame.....SD reputedly have the highest Facebook following..... but how many actually of these "followers" go to the games....surely they all can't live in NZ with me?.....It is sadly how it is now days....this generation are all only interested in the razzmatazz of sports entertainment....the WAFL fails to cater for this generation....thus relying on the pre 80s generation to keep the WAFL alive.....it's a pity the WAFC doesn't plug the WAFL more to the AFL....if the comp dies as folk have said where do teams like Freo and WCE develop their players and find their future players....

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150327

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

58shark wrote:

Bazza wrote: Its pretty obvious to me and I would think any independent observer , its the two local franchises that are and have destroyed the WAFL.

Don't agree Baz. Back to my point of the WAFC allowing the 2 clubs to push them around. If it became a money issue only, I can't see the higher powers around Australia allow the WAFL to disappear. That would be a catastrophe to AFL clubs that watch our boys develop then pick them. Keeping in mind that a majority of the league is made up of ex VFL clubs, they would have their own interests at heart.

The WAFC is SFA mate., it was the dockers and eagles that wanted the alignment , which they got, and its them that want control of the colts which they got, that explains your development bit, neither them or the AFL have any further interest in the WAFL bar getting young talent which they will now directly control now anyway.
Cant really see your point at all, its pretty obvious.

Last edit: by Bazza.

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150328

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leather Stops wrote: I believe it's the the old supporters who turned up in quantity back in the 1980's who no longer go & no one has replaced them. Attendances at WAFL game are now incredibly low. Costs have risen but income has decreased. TV is offering people comfort in the home to watch the game. If you want it to survive then go & take your mates. Dont blame the AFL. Blame yourself.

Yep all true mate, theres no new support coming through, the last few going as as you say left over from the 80s.

Fact is the WAFL is already a ghost walking , its dead in the eyes of general public, its not a viable comp that pulls fans or interest, a number of fatal blows have been inflicted, the introduction of the eagles, the dockers and peel sadly these have been self inflicted deadly wounds that some wafl clubs themselves voted in, you cant blame the VFL for them, they just made hay at the wafl expense.

the horse has bolted , there is no coming back now, and hasn't been for years, the wafl can stagger along with a few geriatrics in the stands hooked on welfare hand outs from the wafc or it can try to save it self, which you can forget about as none of the presidents have the norries and they all go along to afl games anyway.

Last edit: by Bazza.

Who really is destrying the WAFL swan? 5 years 9 months ago #150329

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
People need to realise the WAFC was only really ever set up to pull the Indian Pacific and the Eagles out of Bankruptcy and get them going again, and then the dockers, since then that's been the priority

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 395 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020