Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132866

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: a very good name -- forgot about him -- good achievement by your man. He would have kicked more gaols too accept for the fact that malthouse refussed to play him on a wet day. Don't forget Brian Taylor kicked a few gaols in that era.

I would go for Moloney over Coleman for a few reasons:

Claremont were rubbish for the first part of his career
he kicked 109 goals in his first season,
he kicked his tally in a side which finished outsided the final four
he won the sandover
was runner-up in the Brownlow
was the second player to kick 100 gaols in a season after Coventry
between 1932 and 1968 only Coleman and Bob Pratt, in a SM side full of Subiaco players, kicked 100 goals in a season.

He is worthing of having his name on the medal alright.

Would be extremely worthy of such recognition AR but the only problem for George being he is a West Australian and not Victorian....and we both know the Vics couldnt possibly name an award after someone from outside the borders of that tiny state of Victoria as apparently it is the centre of the universe according to all Victorians when in reality it is not even the biggest city in what is a relatively small populated country called Australia! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132868

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
BH: I notice they try and have it a little bit both ways with Maloney's legacy, as they do include him in their hall of fame. That is a very Victorian thing to do of course, sort of claim other people. When I was a kid I had a book: 'WA's Fabulous Forty', which I foolishly gave away; the book was actually about Western Australians, Haydn Bunton, Verdun Howell, Keith Shea, Graeme Schultz, and all the other Victorians, were not in the book.

Anyway, as I say, I don't mind them staying with Coleman, as he was a great player and worthy of recognition. In comm with you, I dislike people getting on here and saying that WA has never produced anybody of equal note.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132872

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ArkRoyal wrote: BH: I notice they try and have it a little bit both ways with Maloney's legacy, as they do include him in their hall of fame. That is a very Victorian thing to do of course, sort of claim other people. When I was a kid I had a book: 'WA's Fabulous Forty', which I foolishly gave away; the book was actually about Western Australians, Haydn Bunton, Verdun Howell, Keith Shea, Graeme Schultz, and all the other Victorians, were not in the book.

Anyway, as I say, I don't mind them staying with Coleman, as he was a great player and worthy of recognition. In comm with you, I dislike people getting on here and saying that WA has never produced anybody of equal note.

According to some if you didn't play in the VPL you are no good. Absolute nonsense.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132873

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Swan 42: For some reason they can't accept the simple principle that a good footballer in one state is a good footballer in another. It is a very simple concept indeed.

Mike Fitzpatrick starred for Subiaco, he also starred for Carlton, so much so, that he was their pemiership captain.

Plenty players have gone East failed because they were not great footballers in the first place, Victorian clubs should not have recruitted them at all. This is, of course, partly why they introduced the draft system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132884

• 58shark
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553

Beasley Hutton wrote:

ArkRoyal wrote: Now if we were to re-name the medal there would only be one candidate, whom actually played in the WAFL and the silly VFL with genuine distinction

George Maloney

claremont 555 goals
Geelong 303 goals

leading goal kicker 1932 -- 109 goals -- just the second man to do it.

but what really made George a star was that he could also play in the middle.

th Brownlow Medal could easily be changed to the Bunton Medal

He played for:

Fitzory
Subi
Port Adelaide.

What about the Simon Beasley Medal AR? :)
He also was a Bernie Naylor Medallist & a Coleman Medallist and kicked the most goals of any player in the 1980s!

Wrong, wrong, wrong.....neither played AFL.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 298 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977