Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132431

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116

swan42 wrote:

UNKA2 wrote: Ahhh yes lets again celebrate the second tier comps instead of the premier comp of the bygone era ( VFL).
Suggest you guys head off to cash and carry, just in case the chips keep falling off ya shoulders.
Ohhh bugger it lets change the importance of the Melbourne cup and replace it with the Perth cup, while we are at it

Apart from the lack of logic and inconsistencies of your utterances let me point out that at one stage the Perth Cup was worth more than the Melbourne Cup.

Yup sure was, and still nobody have a damn, except a handful over in WA. Hows the old perth cup going now, still getting international exposure??...ha ha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132434

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116

58shark wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

58shark wrote: There was some interesting discussion on PR regarding the Coleman medal this morning - Coleman v Austin Robertson. I Googled them up and Austin certainly came out on top. Time to change the name of the medal from the second best full forward in the game to the best full forward. Of course the Vics who run the VFL, aka The AFL would faint at the thought of anything non Victorian.

The Coleman Medal celebrates one of the VFL greats. 537 goals at top level from 98 games cut tragically by injury..Thats just under 5.5 goals per match.Austin Robertson played at a LOWER level yet couldn'd average 5 gls per match. NO comparison.

LS what a joke.

From WAFL Footy facts:

As a sample in 1965, 67 and 68 Subiaco won 8, 3 and 12 games. AR jnr kicked in those seasons 108, 104 and 162 goals in 62 games.

Thats STILL 2nd grade football

Again I say, you vics are so full of it. Coleman played in a state league known as the VFL, AR played in a state league known as the WAFL. As far as being "2nd grade", that's only in the eyes of the arrogant, ignorant Mexicans from the east. And you'll ask, why did a lot of people want to play in your comp? Answer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ So don't get too carried away with yourselves.

Not all went for the money, for some it was to play against THE BEST there is. Stpehen Michael may well have been up there with Polly etc, but becuase he never played against the best, he will generally be remembered as a WA champ. Whereas say a Barry Cable is known by everyone in the footy world. VFL was the ultimate comp in the land.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132443

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

UNKA2 wrote:

58shark wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

58shark wrote: There was some interesting discussion on PR regarding the Coleman medal this morning - Coleman v Austin Robertson. I Googled them up and Austin certainly came out on top. Time to change the name of the medal from the second best full forward in the game to the best full forward. Of course the Vics who run the VFL, aka The AFL would faint at the thought of anything non Victorian.

The Coleman Medal celebrates one of the VFL greats. 537 goals at top level from 98 games cut tragically by injury..Thats just under 5.5 goals per match.Austin Robertson played at a LOWER level yet couldn'd average 5 gls per match. NO comparison.

LS what a joke.

From WAFL Footy facts:

As a sample in 1965, 67 and 68 Subiaco won 8, 3 and 12 games. AR jnr kicked in those seasons 108, 104 and 162 goals in 62 games.

Again I say, you vics are so full of it. Coleman played in a state league known as the VFL, AR played in a state league known as the WAFL. As far as being "2nd grade", that's only in the eyes of the arrogant, ignorant Mexicans from the east. And you'll ask, why did a lot of people want to play in your comp? Answer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ So don't get too carried away with yourselves.

Not all went for the money, for some it was to play against THE BEST there is. Stpehen Michael may well have been up there with Polly etc, but becuase he never played against the best, he will generally be remembered as a WA champ. Whereas say a Barry Cable is known by everyone in the footy world. VFL was the ultimate comp in the land.

And Billy Walker PROVED he was the equal of Barry Cable. Barry Cable 3 Sandover Medals compared with Billy Walker's 4.

QED.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132444

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

58shark wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Leather Stops wrote:

LS what a joke.

From WAFL Footy facts:

It is rare for 58s and I are on the same side of a discussion. On this one we are.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132450

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
In all honesty the Goal Tally's to win the Coleman in last few years have been piss weak, not like the glory days of the 80's 90's , 100 plus goals...Locket Ablett Dunstall

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132451

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Grassy wrote: Stephen Michael loved that truck of his too much to drive it over from down South.Too much of a detour to Norseman.:silly:

TI went over for a run in Geelong, he could of stayed , but he hated the Melbourne weather, the grounds full of crap and the people were not really friendly, he reckons one night after a training run he and the team were standing under a tin shed having a BBQ in pouring rain and freezing weather and he thought screw this , I'm going home.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132452

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In all honesty, it is probably time to rethink the name of awards like this, these awards have been renamed in the past, it was originally just called the leading goal kicker award.

It is great and fitting Coleman was recognised for many years as the player named for the medal for this award, but its been decades now and I think its time for a rename for a player that reflects more of the national nature of the game.

A player that played in the AFL era and in a national sense in more than one state and kicked huge tallys , would be Lockett I guess.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132453

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

swan42 wrote:

58s why stop there? Chuck out half of the supposed legends of the Hall of Fame and replace them with the WAFL and SANFL legends. Billy Walker would be a good one to start with.

Bill Walker is in the AFL hall of fame isn't he?

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132456

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bazza wrote:

swan42 wrote:

58s why stop there? Chuck out half of the supposed legends of the Hall of Fame and replace them with the WAFL and SANFL legends. Billy Walker would be a good one to start with.

Bill Walker is in the AFL hall of fame isn't he?

Yes he is but he is not a legend and he should have been named a legend in the inaugural selection.

Coleman medal 6 years 7 months ago #132457

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Grassy wrote: Have you named those Crabs yet,Swan?Or will you accept you went too far in saying some of those Legends were Crab Status?

No I don't recant from what I wrote. I referred to their crab status relative to some WAFL and SANFL counterparts. The fact that Bill Walker is not a legend clearly and demonstrably shows the patent bias of this category. The winner of 4 Sandover Medals in the pre-expansion era of the VPL is by definition legendary.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 411 guests and 2 members online

• Mr AFL
  • Blackduck

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977