Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154442

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
I expected them to lose by about 8 - 10 goals but to get beaten in the manner that they did is just not acceptable in an AFL game. Especially as they were competitive in the clearances and had the top two possession winners on the ground is an indictment on the team as a whole. Their skills were just horrible today even given the conditions . I only hope they can finish the season in front of their supporters by putting in at least a competitive performance against Collingwood.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154445

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
The thing that galls me the most a/man was Ross Lyon's presser after the game where you would think Freo only lost by a few goals when he talked about similar numbers in clearances and contested possessions. I only watched the first half then went to EF Oval but from what I'm hearing and seeing the Dockers were comprehensively smashed from quarter time onwards. He can use the term "young group" as long as he likes when justifying poor performances which he does ad nauseum but it's a young man's game and everyone has youngsters in their squads but some coaches integrate and develop them during the season like Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong whilst others throw them into the deep end when all else fails like Lyon.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154446

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
I think you have to look at the season as a whole. They are probably where they deserve to be. They have been reasonable at home beating the two Adelaide teams, the Dogs, Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda and Gold Coast. However away from home they have been abysmal with only 1 victory over Carlton amongst some 60 point plus defeats to Richmond, Collingwood, Sydney and Melbourne. Todays loss was at another level really and I would be very surprised if the players did not respond next week. Like others I am now uncertain whether or not Lyon has what it takes to get this team into the finals but I think the club needs to review the season in the cool light of day, once it is finished to assess if they have made progress rather than over react to one horrible performance.

Last edit: by mikeh.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154453

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Not being a follower of any AFL team but just liking football I watch with interest at the results, the games etc more so the comments by folk who have a greater passion for the teams.

It seems to me that the coaches who are just not upto it all have the same excuse - rebuilding, age and transition. All fairly hollow and very scripted.

It has taken how many years and how many players for freo to plumb to the pathetic standard they showed yesterday. I watched the game, had to force myself but ....... .

The players have some responsibility but the coaches seem not to have taught them to play to a structure, plan and strategy for situations.

If he stays then I cannot see them improving but I can see some assistants being blamed and moved on through not fault of their own.
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154455

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Anchor/ 42 as loyal Dockers fan you do deserve better than what Freo has dished up since 2015.I think there is a big difference between Lyons game plan compared to what Brisbane,North Melbourne and Collingwood play.Those coaches back there young players in.Hinkley is another coach struggling with the same negative game plan.The Freo rebuild seems to be going on forever and cannot believe Ballentine is of Afl standard Round 21 2018..
Give Lyon another year and see what Freo can hook in the Draft.With half the current team under 50 Afl games don't think any coach has a quick fix for Freos problems.One strong marking forward who kicks goals can change a lot at Freo.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154456

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109

anchorman wrote: I am not sure what that was that was dished up today against Geelong, but it certainly wasn't football.I was and still am gutted.I didn't expect us to win, but I certainly expected much more than that garbage.
I found it hard to find one player who contributed all day , or for even half a game.What ever credibility we had today quickly went tout the window in the first thirty seconds of the second quarter.
It was really hard to find any good out of that game.
I can hear Hackdown and Hardlie, dipping their poison pens into their vials of venom. Hackdown wont have to make up a story about this one, because all he will write will be true.I would hate to be doing either of their laundry after todays game.I think they would react as Bruce does with his darlings.
A sad day that will open the supporters and the club up to even more scorn from the haters and the media.
I am beginning to come around and believe that we need either a new coach, or someone to sit with Lyon and give him some advice. I don't believe there is a great deal of difference in game plans between the 18 sides.It boils down to personal,maturity, time together and skills.We are missing out somewhere along the line here.I know our skills are not up to scratch, but to be that far off today!!!!!!

I thank you for your honesty in your comments A/M. It is hard when a performance like this occurs.
Perhaps it is the recruiting section which needs to re adjust its thoughts or the coach.
I too was disappointed at rd 22 results.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154458

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

gtrxuone wrote: Anchor/ 42 as loyal Dockers fan you do deserve better than what Freo has dished up since 2015.I think there is a big difference between Lyons game plan compared to what Brisbane,North Melbourne and Collingwood play.Those coaches back there young players in.Hinkley is another coach struggling with the same negative game plan.The Freo rebuild seems to be going on forever and cannot believe Ballentine is of Afl standard Round 21 2018..
Give Lyon another year and see what Freo can hook in the Draft.With half the current team under 50 Afl games don't think any coach has a quick fix for Freos problems.One strong marking forward who kicks goals can change a lot at Freo.

gtr you really shouldn't believe the dribble coming from BC and 58s. It 9:44 am Sunday as I watch the ABC's Insiders programme and I still don't know the score. I didn't watch the game. I support one footy club: Swan Districts and that support has been sorely tested this season due to circumstances some within the control of SDFC and some beyond its control

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154459

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Grump wrote: Not being a follower of any AFL team but just liking football I watch with interest at the results, the games etc more so the comments by folk who have a greater passion for the teams.

It seems to me that the coaches who are just not upto it all have the same excuse - rebuilding, age and transition. All fairly hollow and very scripted.

It has taken how many years and how many players for freo to plumb to the pathetic standard they showed yesterday. I watched the game, had to force myself but ....... .

The players have some responsibility but the coaches seem not to have taught them to play to a structure, plan and strategy for situations.

If he stays then I cannot see them improving but I can see some assistants being blamed and moved on through not fault of their own.[/quote

By that metric Adam Pickering has been an unmitigated failure as SDFC's coach this year.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154461

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

anchorman wrote: LS, I don't think I have ever given any different sort of report.If they have played badly, then I will call it that way.If we get a belting, but at least have a crack, I will give credit to the amount that is due.
I love my team and will defend them against the snipers, but I will also give them a whack after a performance like that.
I am astounded by the fact that kids get to this level, and maybe especially at Fremantle,but they can't kick with either can't handball both hands, can't stick tackles.Why does this happen.Taken at this level, all kids should be able to do all the previous mentioned.

a/man what was the score? Watch some colts' games and you would understand.

Last edit: by swan42.

Indefensible. 5 years 8 months ago #154465

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
If I hear the term "elite level" mentioned again about the afl I will give the game away......it is far from "elite" when you have clubs as continually piss poor as Fremantle, St Kilda, Footscray, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Carlton etc!

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 578 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020