Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169454

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Assange is lucky that they have not charged him with simply 'publishing' the secrets as that would be much easier for them to prove. I wonder if he has paid back all the people whom lost money when he skipped bail?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169461

• jackspratt
  • jackspratt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273

ArkRoyal wrote: Assange is lucky that they have not charged him with simply 'publishing' the secrets as that would be much easier for them to prove. I wonder if he has paid back all the people whom lost money when he skipped bail?

The "secrets" were published in the USA, and the Pentagon Papers precedent established that the 1st amendment will protect reporters and newspapers there.

It is a great pity we don't have a similar protection is Australia - who the New York Times describe as "Australia May Well Be the World’s Most Secretive Democracy".

I don't see that as a compliment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169464

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
jack: yes, mate, I am aware of the pentagon precedent don't worry; remember, though, its basis is actually a Supreme Court ruling, one which could be over-turned by a Tory leaning bench in the future.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169465

• ooollllrrrrrry2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 207
I thought the Supreme Court was under the control of the (what they would call tories) in the US. Wasn't the most recent appointee a Trump one? Perhaps they could over turn it or perhaps they don't want to.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169467

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
The provisions of the Crimes Act in Australia back then were pretty clear and there's no public interest defence as I understand it...whether there's a moral public interest consideration when deciding whether to prosecute is another matter.

Last edit: by BC.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169471

• jackspratt
  • jackspratt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Maybe not in the Crimes Act, BC - but as I understand it there is a "public interest" test in the Commonwealth DPP prosecution guidelines.

Of course, it is always going to be a big plus on your CV if you (the DPP) can show some high profile scalps - fuck the public interest. :dry:

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169474

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
oool: yep, that is true, the tories have just got the numbers, in theory; naturally, they also need a relevant case to come before the bench so we will see what happens. Unfortunately, as you know, the yanks tend to test the court on a regular basis. Have you seen some of the hard line anti-abortion laws being passed in the Deep South? They are preparring a move to challenge 'Roe versus Wade', or so it seems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ooollllrrrrrry2

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169475

• ooollllrrrrrry2
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 207
True, the Alabama Governor has recently signed a bill that was passed there which will criminalize abortion if/when it takes effect. Some commentators argue this is a precursor to challenging Roe v Wade, something which has been on the hard conservative agenda for a while.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169478

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
There's a war of words between Peter Dutton and Albo. ATM.PD is not taking a backward step on this.

Dutton's Jackboots 4 years 10 months ago #169485

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
I find it comical the federal police announced Friday afternoon they
had dropped their investigation into how the security briefing was leaked to the media in relation to the medivac bill. What is the difference between this and the other two..
Just seems strange to me. Either the gov or the federal police need to be explaning some clarification here? What is the difference between one piece of leaked info and another?
Or are journalists just an easy target?

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 229 guests and one member online

• Demons Forever

Newest Footy Recruits

• Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog
  • FremantlesFinest