Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162533

• DD
  • DD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1351
Good to see any West Australian team doing well and Perth Glory are flying atm sitting on top of the A League ladder for 8 straight weeks. That must be killing the Melbourne and Sydney teams but they will probably feel confident about knocking the Glory off in the finals.

Goes to show what a difference a quality coach can make. From all reports Tony Popovich is highly rated in the industry not just by the media but also players and he's brought a lot of high end quality and experience into the team. I'm impressed with how he speaks to the media, very calm, acknowledges the good but never gets carried away. That was probably former coach Kenny Lowes weakness. Was very passionate but let it boil over too often.

If they go all the way we will potentially see a full house at Optus Stadium and they can fit up to 65,000 in for a soccer match. Long way to go before that happens if it happens.
Get on your bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by DD.

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162537

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2007
Totally agree DD. Glory have finally picked the right man to lead them. I am a bit surprised that they could be looking at off loading Keogh but that may be just media scuttlebutt. As a matter of interest the Glory womens team is also on top of the ladder as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DD

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162543

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think it's Melbourne City that have approached Glory asking for permission to talk to Andy Keogh. Apparently their coach coached him many years ago in the UK. Keogh has got a lot of relatives here in Perth so I doubt he'd want to move interstate but who knows if Poppa starts starting him off the bench he wouldn't like that but he's in the top 4 or 5 in goal scoring so far so I think he's safe.

I always had an opinion that he's a bit one dimensional and not good with the ball at his feet and easily gave up the ball but he looks a lot more confident this year with better quality players around him. But if Popovic wants Fornaroli and it seems he rates him, then Tony Sage will probably say you can have him but I would imagine Glory are already sailing close to the wind in terms of their salary cap and the last thing they want is another salary cap breach fiasco that cost them a finals spot when they were last sitting on top in Kenny Lowe's first year. Hopefully history never repeats as the song goes.
Get on your bike.

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162544

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1543
Personally I prefer Keogh to Fornaroli. Fornaroli is a bit too temperamental for mine and he's currently not starting for City due to fitness concerns. That tells me he's not fully committed as you'd think being a marquee player he'd be the complete professional. Poppa has brought some good ones with him due to his reputation such as Ikonomidis, Davidson, Franjic, Spiranovic and co which I don't think Kenny could have done. Guys like Chris Harold can't get a look in which says a lot imo. It's all looking pretty good so far and if they made the GF, I'd certainly be one of the 65,000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DD

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162548

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That's what I thought BC about Fornaroli given Poppa is big on fitness but Warren Joyce had a problem with Kilkenny and he's been a great pick up for Glory. He's the general and not frightened to bark instructions out on the park.
Get on your bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BC

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162552

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yep...agree DD...Kilkenny has been superb. Poppa has also got more out of Chianese as well. He's a real threat these days as a scorer but even more so in setting up others.

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162556

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think Chris Harold has been ill with chicken pox earlier in the season but if he's fit I think he would still be a threat coming off the bench.
Get on your bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BC

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162586

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A good 3-1 win by the Glory over Sydney FC. With players like young Italiano coming back from long term injury and giving depth, the season is shaping up nicely as they're currently six points clear on top of the ladder. Interesting Keogh started on the bench....I wonder what that is telling us? Pleased Santalab scored for his new club too...good work Glory.

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162589

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

BC wrote: A good 3-1 win by the Glory over Sydney FC. With players like young Italiano coming back from long term injury and giving depth, the season is shaping up nicely as they're currently six points clear on top of the ladder. Interesting Keogh started on the bench....I wonder what that is telling us? Pleased Santalab scored for his new club too...good work Glory.

Yep got the monkey off their back that was more like a Gorilla against Sydney FC. Has to be close to the best first half Glory has ever produced. They looked like a class above which is saying something against Sydney. The Glory have a huge workload over January I think it's something like 11 games so Poppa has to manage the workload and spread it around. Expect him to keep throwing the line up around. We've probably got the best depth in the league and I think they have a full squad all healthy atm. Only Ikonomidis not available playing in the Asian Cup.

The Premiers plate is ours to lose now.
Get on your bike.

Last edit: by DD.

Perth Glory 5 years 2 months ago #162721

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What a game that was!! Well done to the Glory on a fantastic come from behind win over WSW. It just goes to show what a difference Castro makes. I can understand Poppa managing game time of key players as this month is pretty hectic in terms of fixturing but 5 or 6 changes each week is a bit much in my opinion. Chianese was quiet and Keogh missed one he would have got nine times out of ten in the first half and all of a sudden, the Glory are 2 - nil down at half time. I suppose they got the job done whilst Davidson, Castro only played a half and Kilkenny and Spiranovic had a rest so all's well that ends well. A big game this week against Victory away...

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 402 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes