Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

$ub v WP Grand Final 5 years 6 months ago #157531

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

Bazza wrote:

Ti Em wrote:

Swandog wrote:

Ti Em wrote:

westaussieguy wrote: Don't mean to get orf topic. Apparently the SANFL had an attendance of 40,000 at their Grand Final this afternoon which is fantastic. One would have hoped for about 30,000 at our Grand Final so at least the ground could be half full.

40K+ crowd is very impressive in SA - and by the sounds of it a great game too.

Only way will see a crowd like that again is if Swans are in it v Perth, West Perth or a standalone East Perth

But why would a Munchers V Ferals GF not see a crowd like that again or Perth playing either of those teams in a GF? Why is it that they must be playing the Swans? It does not make sense. Also some of the largest post Eagles WAFL GF crowds were derby GFs.

Its hogwash.

There will never be another 40,000 crowd at a WAFL GF , crowds had already fallen below that prior to the entry of the Eagles. The last time we got close was 1989 when 38,500 turned up for SF v Claremont.

Those days are gone, the best we can hope for is 30K, as for Swans all there GF in the post eagles era have had mediorce attendances to say the least, as you say the only decent attendances have been traditional derbies perth or freo , althought the last WP v EP game didnt even crack 20,000, as far as Perth goes, well by their standards this season was a cracker, they sat in finals contention for a while, yet their attendances barely raised a heartbeat at Latho anyway waiting for them to make a GF would be like waiting for the fairy god mother.

Before this seasons GF at the brand new Perth Stadium SD had the 2 biggest attended GF's in the last 10 years and who were they against???....the 2 smallest supported clubs in the WAFL $ubiaco & Claremont! In fact we have only played in 3 GFs since the WCE arrived on the scene and 2 of them were against Claremont the other $ubi!

And the talk of GFs anywhere other than Perth Stadium is ludicrous as no WAFL ground can hold 10 or 15k crowds comfortably anymore..we are in the year 2018 not 1948 where patrons didnt mind standing on a hill or in a tin shed for the supposed competitions show piece event!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

$ub v WP Grand Final 5 years 6 months ago #157534

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
I didnt say holding a GF at WAFL ground I mean a redeveloped WACA with adequate capacity.
Big deal - We played Claremont in 1989 and got nearly 40K very next year SD plated and the attendance plummeted...

yesterday we had one team fully financed by the WAFC to get a team on the ground, plus we had the WAFC paying outrageous exorbitant fees to hire a ground that had 35,000 empty seats in it..if the WAFL ever is going to be financially viable make profligate decisions like this wont cut it.

Last edit: by Bazza.

$ub v WP Grand Final 5 years 6 months ago #157635

• The Major
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18

jackspratt wrote: Watching it on TV - looks like a very good crowd in (half time).

Anyone game to estimate the attendance? Having been only once live, I would reckon 25,000+.

We must remember that many East Perth and Swans supporters made up that 25,000 and left straight after those games. The league game would have been lucky to have had 20,000 in attendance.

$ub v WP Grand Final 5 years 6 months ago #157642

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357

Bazza wrote: I didnt say holding a GF at WAFL ground I mean a redeveloped WACA with adequate capacity.
Big deal - We played Claremont in 1989 and got nearly 40K very next year SD plated and the attendance plummeted...

yesterday we had one team fully financed by the WAFC to get a team on the ground, plus we had the WAFC paying outrageous exorbitant fees to hire a ground that had 35,000 empty seats in it..if the WAFL ever is going to be financially viable make profligate decisions like this wont cut it.

That is why I enquired of the Grand Final attendance Bazza. And was hoping for at least a half full ground.
The new facility I'm led to believe is simply not interested in having Wafl matches held there!! Whether people like it or not! Have been told it was not easy getting the Grand Final to be held there. I'm not sure what attendance levels need reaching to be able to make a profit? What would have happened if we'd had an attendance similar to the past 5 or 6 Grand Finals? Would they have told the Wafl to bugger off? Remembering the new ground is simply a business like any other. Obviously they are simply there to profit from those attending. Obviously if Wafl matches are not profitable, no-one needs two guesses at the outcome of what ground management would be thinking.

Last edit: by westaussieguy. Reason: clarity

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 542 guests and 3 members online

• Royals78
  • Mr AFL
  • Success Hill

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes