Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 10 months ago #149588

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

DD wrote: SBS is taking over the broadcast for the next 48 hours until Optus sort it out. Apparently they are waiting for Uber to deliver a new modem.

Yep, thank goodness common sense prevails, what a disgrace.

Its only 48 hrs at this stage, but put it this way , I have been dealing with Optus for 2 yrs and they couldnt fix the EPl in that time and they have had 4 years to prepare for the World Cup , I give them little to no chance to resolve it, their net work here just cannot handle streaming with very high demand, and its irresponsible to sell a product that your infrastructure cannot provide.

The Federal Ombudsman needs to step in and demand the entire tournament is provided via SBS Digital from here on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 10 months ago #149589

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

westaussieguy wrote:

mikeh wrote: I find it hilarious Mr Turnbull being all pompous and huffy at Optus when the connection issues are just a symptom of his governments crap NBN which has seen Australias data speeds fall below some 3rd world countries. I was surprised how much faster the internet was in Vietnam when I was there on holiday earlier this year.

Don't mean to get off topic.
Is that the same Mr Turnbull that enjoys the NBN the way it was meant to be at Point Piper & Kirribilli house by enjoying the 100 Mbps download speeds and the 40 Mbps upload speeds. Enjoying the same speeds he said ordinary citizens would have no use for! And obviously are not getting.
And even old Abbot said a download speed of only 25Mbps will be "more than enough" for the average Australian household.
And of course old Malcolm can just relax in the knowledge the taxpayers are picking up the bill for each of the higher speed tier NBN plans, at $120 per month for Point Piper, and $95 per month for Kirribilli House.
And he cannot deny it, because the newspaper article gives a good description.

As I have said I have had Optus for 2 years and its been crap, I just don't think high demand live sports are the type of thing that should be on a internet streaming service, doesn't matter where you are in the world higher speeds or not most places have them on more reliable platforms beside internet only.

Im still on ADSL , my speeds here were 6 - 7 Mbs most of the time but have now dropped below 3 Mbs about 2,6 Mbs most of the time, I have no doubt at all this is to pressure people onto this cluster of an NBN which is now going through our area.

Generally you only need 3Mbs for live streaming , 25 Mbs would be more than enough many times over.

Extremely high demand causes issues.

Btw, a lot of people were relying on the Optus Satellite Wifi system ( off the NBN ) that crashed as well, so its more about the Optus technology.

It doesn't help when they send you gear that is dysfunctional, I'm up to my 3rd internet TV box and we went through 4 or 5 modems before they sent us one that worked.

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 9 months ago #149673

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
The problems at Optus are continuing apparently. They will allow SBS to continue broadcasting World Cup soccer matches as it struggles to overcome technical issues with streaming. SBS will broadcast all games until the end of the group stage of the tournament..

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 9 months ago #149675

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Well as expected Optus have chucked the towel in and extended the SBS coverage until the end of the first round games. Even with the pressure load off for the last 48 hrs the Optus Network was still struggling.

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 9 months ago #149868

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
Well that's it then!
We'll have to re-name that company Floptus.

Internet Streaming,Optus TV and the Future 5 years 9 months ago #151650

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Once I finally got my new Optus TV Box it ran not to bad,

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 395 guests and 2 members online

• swansfan4life
  • Ted Nugent

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL