Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145035

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
Peter Beatty is urging Perth to put a bid in for the 2026 CG based on the excellent new infrastructure we have here, new stadium etc..

Would it be a good idea taking into account the States debt?
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145037

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
mate...to be perfectly honest and no disrespect to the athletes intended, in my opinion I think the Cwlth Games have become irrelevant. It's just a shoot out between us and the poms in most sports with cameo performances from the Canadians and a few of the African countries. I personally think it would be a huge risk given the state's finances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNKA2

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145044

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

BC wrote: mate...to be perfectly honest and no disrespect to the athletes intended, in my opinion I think the Cwlth Games have become irrelevant. It's just a shoot out between us and the poms in most sports with cameo performances from the Canadians and a few of the African countries. I personally think it would be a huge risk given the state's finances.

I'm pretty much strongly in favour of it, bar the financial issues of the state, it bound to cost money rather than make it.
I don't think its irrelevant, it just is a different sort of comp, no different to say the Asia Cup is soccer compared to the World Cup.
The problem I say in Australia has fallen away so badly in most sports particularly swimming is that when it comes to world comp like the Rio O's we are hardly making an impact, the big name stars are just not there anymore and the CG tend to be a false dawn.

I see the day before its due to start they still have tickets available for the opening ceremony and about another 200,000 unsold tickets...that's on the eastern seaboard as well, mind you the timing is terrible, the are about 2 weeks out school holiday time wise, apparently NSW families are particularly annoyed about that and 1000s never bothered making what could of been a good trip with the kids.

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145047

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Did we host the Common Games in 1962.Village was houses in Wembley. Perry Lakes.Valadrome in Leederville.Beatie Park Leederville.Any other facilities built back then.That would of been huge back in 62._New flash stadium.Do it Sneakers.
Just about debt Bazza.The last bad recession we had Bazza was the time we won the Americas Cup.And Wa was on the up for almost 30 years after that.Talking the Queensland people the Common games has been good so far with the building of the facilities and infrastructure upgrades.Metro Net would be a big part of a Wa's bid.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Last edit: by gtrxuone.

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145049

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah 62, and everything was purpose built as you say huge cost for the time.

All the big venues are here, the stadium is ready to go, a few like challenge stadium for the swimming just need a spruce up, the speed dome out at midland another one for cycling would need an upgrade.

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145050

• premiership hangover
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
I hope they make it clear soon the dates they are pushing for if they want to try to host the CG in WA.

I will be taking a holiday at that time, I have no interest in going to watch poor athletes compete for prizes they would not get close to at the Olympics or world championships
Save a tree and eat a beaver

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145052

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Sneakers and Pappliar are always going on about tourism as the great saviour of the state.

if they were really genuine they would be getting some big international events like this, what's the point having a 60k stadium if your not going to make the most of it.

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145080

• UNKA2
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Bit lie comparing the olympics (Mens afl)
to
to Commonwealth games ( womens afl)

The no one cares games

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145082

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
it is preferrable to the Olympic nonesense

Perth 2026 Commonwealth Games ? 6 years 2 weeks ago #145085

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
I guess any international competition for our athletes is worthwhile but I'm not sure they're getting the best cost v benefit outcome given most of the worlds best athletes don't belong to the Commonwealth i.e. the US, China, Russia when they're not souped up etc.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 361 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020