Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140885

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
no

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140887

• Southerner
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Lifelong Bulldog .... the alignments are PISH
  • Thank you received: 1191

Archie Duda Goal Machine wrote:

Southerner wrote: Yes

I've always considered it to be a cowardly act of desperation by a bowler to attempt it - the Sarfraz Nawaz one in 1979 (I think from ancient memory???) was pretty poor really , but from coming from an idiot who eventually was discovered to be a ball tamperer I suppose it's only to be expected.

Southerner, I recall it was Alan Hurst who "mankaded" Sikander Bakht in Pakistan's second innings at the WACA in 1979, with Sarfraz later successfully appealing for "handling the ball(s)" against the Hapless Hooker Andrew Hilditch.
This was also Victorian Jeff Moss's only Test - I think he hit the winning run and finished with a Test average of 60 (22 and 38 not out).

Cheers Arch - I recalled Sarfraz was involved , fair while ago now but didn't he kick start things then Hurst responded with the appeal next innings ????
Had a bit of spice that match due to the niggle

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140890

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118

anchorman wrote: I think the only reason the third umpire ruled the way he did, was because he thought he was hindering Wade from taking the ball
He ran towards Wade, so maybe that influenced his decision.
I still think it was the wrong decision though.

Oh so Wade was involved.
All clear now, thank you. That explains everything.

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140918

• Archie Duda Goal Machine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 256
It wouldn't surprise me if Sarfraz was indirectly the catalyst, Southerner, though he was already back in the pavilion when Hurst mankaded Sikander.
Though we lost 11 of 18 Tests (6 wins, 1 draw) during the WSC era, including a 5-1 Ashes humiliation in 1978-79, there was some fantastic cricket played.
The 3-2 win over India in 1977-78 was arguably the best Test series ever played in Australia.

[/quote]

Cheers Arch - I recalled Sarfraz was involved , fair while ago now but didn't he kick start things then Hurst responded with the appeal next innings ????
Had a bit of spice that match due to the niggle[/quote]
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Last edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140921

• ArkRoyal
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
AD: that is true -- it is aslo true that the people stayed loyal to the establishment, however they spin things on channel nine. One of the reasons they were forced to settle with Packer was because the NSW ALP government sacked the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust, allowing him to play matches at the ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140934

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Interesting, Ark, I never realised that.
I bought Gideon Haigh's "Cricket War" and Austin Robertson's "Cricket Outlaws" recently and have a copy of Barry Nicholls' "Establishment Boys", so am looking forward to reading more about the WSC days.
Only problem is trying to find time to read these books when a bloke has to earn a few shekels (to buy East Perth out of their bloody alignment with the Wet Toast Wiggles :P ).

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140951

• one time only
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Archie, another good read is something I picked up (from Dymocks - if memory serves).

A collection of cricket and football anecdotes by Pete Carter entitled "DREAMER DRIFTER DRUNK" .

I'm not sure if it is still available, but if you can get it, you will enjoy it.

But I know what you mean about buying East Perth out of the alignment. I am hoping that the Club will tell us at our AGM that 2018 will be the last year. But I won't be holding my breath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Duda Goal Machine

Mankad 6 years 2 months ago #140953

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
OTO, I've heard that "Dreamer, Drifter, Drunk" is a good read with a few cricket and footy stories included.
I'll make sure I get a copy.
Yes, like your good self, I'm not convinced we'll get news at the February 4 AGM about the alignment ending.
The big problem is that the WAFC requires 12 months (or is it 18?) to end the alignment, plus I believe the AHG link with EPFC has ended suggesting that's one reason we haven't received any good news (= alignment ended) from the club.

Last edit: by Archie Duda Goal Machine.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 474 guests and 4 members online

• Shark Tragic
  • screemar
  • one time only

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr