Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112457

• BC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1547
it's a day of celebration for the entire nation...why should we change it to appease a small proportion of less than 3% of the population? those making the most noise aren't indigenous anyway...they're the usual suspects who complain about everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza, ArkRoyal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112460

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

Grassy wrote: Hmm Yes,but April 25 might better Define us as a Nation.

We already have that as a National Day of remembrance.

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112461

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

swan42 wrote: What I find outrageous is the reaction when one wants to discuss changes to the flag, becoming a republic, changing the date of Australia Day etc. The suggestion that you are being unpatriotic, treating with contempt those who have fought for Australia in various wars. Of course the irony of the latter is exquisite.

Grassy I have said for many years that we will never become a republic in my lifetime; notwithstanding that the only qualification the current incumbent has is that she is the elder of two sisters. That is her only qualification.

For the record I think:

(i) we should become a republic;
(ii) we should change the flag;
(iii) we should change the date of Australia Day.

Finally, I think that some of those who are against the above changes didn't support the change to Advance Australia Fair as our national anthem. Note i said OUR national anthem.

Yeah we know your the perrenial protest type whinger who hates everything and wants to change everything, now turn on the PYE record player get your single of... we will not be moved playing , wack on the flares and go back to your 1960s silo. Either that or buy a one way ticket to North Korea.

Last edit: by Bazza.

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112475

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
Swan 42: at least you are consistent

BC 100 per cent correct

crown, country and commonwealth for me

Our problem is that too many on the political right do not defend those principles, apparentlly too influenced by Australian nationalism.

Just to illustrate how much the political left has moved on the Australia Day issue, as a boy, they were always anti British, carrying on about how evil it was of the poms to transport the convicts to Port Jackson. Now, they attack the very idea of Australia itself, concentratting on Aboriginal displacement and sufferring, a marked shift.

In lots of ways, it is welcomed shift, centred as it does on reconciliation; We will only have reconciliation in this country if we up hold British traditions and try to embrace the different Aboriginal traditions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112493

• 58shark
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553

swan42 wrote:

58shark wrote:

swan42 wrote:

UNKA2 wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Bazza wrote: Spot on McBob. I completely doubt the sincerity of most if not all of these protests, never do you see them marching about genuine issues, health education, domestic violence of black men against black women, abuse of children in communities , it goes on and on.

Changing the day will do nothing to alter history or the state of Aboriginal Welfare today, further it ignores totally the fact of the contribution of the first fleeters and convicts.

Did things get better for them on the 27Th? or the 1 March ?? no, every day was the same after the 26 of Jan as far as the Blackfellas are concerned.

I'm all for having a Aboriginal Day , BUT we have that don't we, Sorry Day a whole bloody week of NAIDOC , AFL NRL indigenous rounds , it goes on and on, made up welcome to country stuff...etc etc...

Great , but Im stuffed if my ancestors contribution is going to be painted out of the picture by getting rid of Oz Day...

The yanks have Thanksgiving for the arrival of the Pilgrims, and Columbus Day for Christopher Columbus , we should have OZ Day and return WA Day to FOUNDATION Day.

What happened on the 26th January, 1788 has no relevance for WA. It is as simple as that.

Last time i looked WA was part of AUSTRALIA, surely we can all celebrate as ONE on this day without petty differences??

It was not part of Australia on 26th January, 1788.

FFS swan, you have to be the most pedantic, negative person I've ever come across. Shit mate, your life must be soooo miserable!! It reminds me of a very old TV ad....."it'll never work....." :pinch:

58s I was always taught than when a person resorts to personal insults they have lost the discussion. If you can refute the lack of historical context then feel free to. From a more logical perspective you could argue that January 1st is a far more significant date to celebrate Australia Day.

Swan, I fail to see where I made a personal insult....I don't do that. I made a personal observation, so if you have taken it as so, I apologise. As far as the rest of your response, I've got NFI what you're talking about.
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112495

• 58shark
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 553

swan42 wrote: What I find outrageous is the reaction when one wants to discuss changes to the flag, becoming a republic, changing the date of Australia Day etc. The suggestion that you are being unpatriotic, treating with contempt those who have fought for Australia in various wars. Of course the irony of the latter is exquisite.

Grassy I have said for many years that we will never become a republic in my lifetime; notwithstanding that the only qualification the current incumbent has is that she is the elder of two sisters. That is her only qualification.

For the record I think:

(i) we should become a republic;
(ii) we should change the flag;
(iii) we should change the date of Australia Day.

Finally, I think that some of those who are against the above changes didn't support the change to Advance Australia Fair as our national anthem. Note i said OUR national anthem.

(i) WRONG - MAJORITY of Aussies don't want it
(ii) maybe
(iii) WRONG - MAJORITY of Aussies don't want it

The anthem change was good, but now it's time for another change - The Seekers "I Am Australian" is a better fit for today. But swan being swan will have endless arguments against this!!!
2x25= Seinor and Michael = 1xBrian Peake
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazza

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112508

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
Advance Australia Fair is the greatest national anthem in the world ...why on earth would you want to change it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112514

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109

Beasley Hutton wrote: Advance Australia Fair is the greatest national anthem in the world ...why on earth would you want to change it?

Because I'm sick of GIRTing

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112515

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Personally my choice for our anthem was Dorothea MacKellar's My Country.

BH La Marseillaise (not the Brisbane Lions' version) is very impressive.

Australia Day 7 years 2 months ago #112519

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leather Stops wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: Advance Australia Fair is the greatest national anthem in the world ...why on earth would you want to change it?

Because I'm sick of GIRTing

Greatest in the world ROFL,,,,yeah like the US and French ones dont rate?

Personally , I have always prefered the tune of waltzing matilda set to the words of God Bless Australia, its something akin to God Defend NZ, which is also a great anthem, it was one of the choices in the ref, but lost out to Advance Oz, which Im OK with, bar the fact that not all verses are sung most of the time.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 332 guests and 2 members online

• 58shark
  • Omah

Newest Footy Recruits

• Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog
  • FremantlesFinest