Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159631

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote:

swan42 wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote:

swan42 wrote: Assuming the Melbourne weather does live up to expectations and the rain does come my top 4 selections are:

1. 3 Magic Circle
  2. 11 Yucatan
  3. 23 Cross Counter
  4. 22 Youngstar

Best roughie: 13 Finche

Though it is a very wide race.

Do you follow International racing 42?...otherwise how would you know as 95% of the field are not from Australia!
I have little to no interest in this race anymore with the almost complete takeover from the FIFO Internationals!

Let's start with the obvious. I notice you said Australia not Australasia. Not all of them are "FIFO". Interesting that you have said that Winx has been beating second rate horses yet you bemoan the fact that high quality stayers are coming to compete in the Melbourne Cup. One would have thought that you would be MORE interested in the Melbourne Cup with the participation of high quality northern hemisphere stayers. One of those imports that has won the Melbourne Cup, Fiorente, is now a stallion standing in Australia that should improve Australia's staying stocks.

Presumably you won't watch the BBL because of the imports participating in that competition.

Yeah not ALL of them only 15 of the 24 are trained outside Australia and thus are FIFO....also of the whole 9 who are trained in Australia now ALL bar 1 were bred and or started their career overseas!

BH did you complain about the quality of the horses competing against Winx? If you were, why are you against quality stayers from the northern hemisphere competing in the Melbourne Cup? Are you suggesting that only French horses should compete in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe? Or only English horses compete in the Grand National or English Derby? Or Irish Horses compete in the Irish St Leger?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159636

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

gtrxuone wrote: Does the Melbourne Cup tell us something about Thoroughbred Horse racing in Australia. The international raiders think this race is up for grabs.Stayers at least.If our local bred horses are not good enough to make the Cup race.With the prize money disappearing overseas.That can't be good for local owners and trainers and our local industry allround.

Spot on GTR but try telling that to 42 who thinks it is a marvellous race and that the FIFO's take the money and run back overseas!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159640

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote:

gtrxuone wrote: Does the Melbourne Cup tell us something about Thoroughbred Horse racing in Australia. The international raiders think this race is up for grabs.Stayers at least.If our local bred horses are not good enough to make the Cup race.With the prize money disappearing overseas.That can't be good for local owners and trainers and our local industry allround.

Spot on GTR but try telling that to 42 who thinks it is a marvellous race and that the FIFO's take the money and run back overseas!

Let's start with the obvious. The last two Melbourne Cup winners have had an Australian ownership component. The favourite for this year's cup has an Australian ownership component. Perhaps you might like to investigate the economic benefit to Melbourne and more generally Victoria of the Melbourne Cup; you might be more than a little surprised.

Also, you might need to reconcile how it is acceptable for Australian horses to go overseas and win races there but not acceptable for overseas horses to come here.

Fiorente is currently standing at stud in Australia.

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159642

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
For a start in what International race has there been 99% of the horses running coming from Australia which is the case in this years Melbourne Cup with International horses?.....I will await with bated breath your answer on that one 42!
I have no problem with a handful of International horses racing in the Cup 42 but certainly not 23 of the 24!

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159645

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Beasley Hutton wrote: For a start in what International race has there been 99% of the horses running coming from Australia which is the case in this years Melbourne Cup with International horses?.....I will await with bated breath your answer on that one 42!
I have no problem with a handful of International horses racing in the Cup 42 but certainly not 23 of the 24!

A very trumpesque response. No unqualified horse is competing in the Melbourne Cup of 2018. How many New Zealand bred horses have won the Melbourne Cup? Should we ban NZ bred horses as well? I note that you have again ignored the fact that you were bemoaning the quality of horses racing against Winx whereas you are arguing against quality horses competing in the Melbourne Cup. Again a very trumpesque response: ignore the facts and just say whatever you like no matter how removed from reality those comments may be. Absolute nonsense trying to equate Australia with the rest of the world. For the record there are 4 Australian bred and 2 NZ bred horses and horses bred in Ireland, Germany, France, Japan, Great Britain. (Source: racenet.com.au)

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159648

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
42 are you changing your tip with the heavy rain in Melbourne??

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159649

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

gtrxuone wrote: 42 are you changing your tip with the heavy rain in Melbourne??

I selected them based on a soft 6 range. It is currently an heavy 8. I think there could be a question mark about Yucatan on a heavy 8. If you want roughies for a place on a heavy track: perhaps Red Cardinal, Sir Charles Road or Zacada.

Last edit: by swan42.

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159650

• one time only
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I don't bet but have a casual interest and as an East Perth supporter, I always look for a horse with its jockey wearing black & blue. In this case, a horse with the unfortunate name of RED CARDINAL.

But at least its got a West Aussie jockey.

For a quinella, I would put it with my favourite horse, Who Shot Thebarman.

If you are a follower of omens, there is one on the front page of today's West.

"RUNAWAY ore train crash."

Last edit: by one time only .

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159651

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

one time only wrote: I don't bet but have a casual interest and as an East Perth supporter, I always look for a horse with its jockey wearing black & blue. In this case, a horse with the unfortunate name of RED CARDINAL.

But at least its got a West Aussie jockey.

For a quinella, I would put it with my favourite horse, Who Shot Thebarman

oto Mark Zahra and Damian Lane are West Australians too.

Melbourne Cup 2018 5 years 5 months ago #159652

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Well done to Sheik Mohammed on his Melbourne Cup win.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 357 guests and one member online

• Whinnen

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977