Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158971

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
Hello,this might not be over yet. Apparently the postal and pre poll voting has heavily favoured Sharma and he has pulled the margin back to about 900 votes. If the trend in counting continues he may still have a chance of snatching it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158983

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

mikeh wrote: Hello,this might not be over yet. Apparently the postal and pre poll voting has heavily favoured Sharma and he has pulled the margin back to about 900 votes. If the trend in counting continues he may still have a chance of snatching it

When I last checked the margin was about 1,100 after a recount of Vaucluse (I think it was). Even if he does happen to win it is a Pyrrhic Victory and Scott Morrison is dead man walking.

At 5.08 AEDT 1,183 is the margin

Now 1,862.

Last edit: by swan42.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158986

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
If Phelps is a councillor, won't be able to sit in parliament as far as I know?
Isn't that what happened to Campbell whatsisname from Queensland, a few years ago?
Phelps will need to resign from council first as I see it?

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158987

• westaussieguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
Isn't it going to be interesting to sit back and watch the blame game that's to follow.
Have a funny feeling old abbot and dutton to be in the firing line.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158988

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273

westaussieguy wrote: If Phelps is a councillor, won't be able to sit in parliament as far as I know?
Isn't that what happened to Campbell whatsisname from Queensland, a few years ago?

I don't think that is the case, wag. The technical term (from memory) is "office of profit under the Crown" ie paid for by the/a government.

Councillors are elected, not appointed by the "Crown".

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158991

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
it is just judges making themselves important. all that section deals with is a genuine conflict interest. Ie: if they were re-nationalising Quantas, as they should, anyone with shares should exclude themselves from the cabinet meeting where the decision is taken on the future of the national airline.

If they read the constitution in ths spirit, how could you possibly exclude Phelps? She will not even be a Minister of the Crown.

Last edit: by ArkRoyal.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158994

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

jackspratt wrote:

westaussieguy wrote: If Phelps is a councillor, won't be able to sit in parliament as far as I know?

I don't think that is the case, wag. The technical term (from memory) is "office of profit under the Crown" ie paid for by the/a government.

Councillors are elected, not appointed by the "Crown".

As I said yesterday I believe the HC has made a ruling on this previously and their determination was that it did not breach any clause within the Australian Constitution.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #158995

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

ArkRoyal wrote: it is just judges making themselves important. all that section deals with is a genuine conflict interest. Ie: if they were re-nationalising Quantas, as they should, anyone with shares should exclude themselves from the cabinet meeting where the decision is taken on the future of the national airline.

If they read the constitution in ths spirit, how could you possibly exclude Phelps? She will not even be a Minister of the Crown.

AR they are extremely important.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #159018

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
Well that change of leadership is working great isn't it...

Lost a Liberal seat for the first time in 70 years , gave away a margin on 17.5% , gone into minority government and got another nutty indie into parliament.

Dutton and Co owns this mess, the Libs are on track for a historic wipe-out in 6 months, Dutton will go and Warringah will be in play as well, its more left wing than Wentworth and will have a strong independent candidate, probably a good thing.

Wentworth by-election 5 years 5 months ago #159019

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

You have to be employed by the public service, councillors are only voluntary and receive no income.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 341 guests and 4 members online

• one time only
  • Frothy

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977