Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159282

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

swan42 wrote:

Grump wrote: Anything coming out of an english person mouth abt anything Australian is always going to be 'ours is better yours is weaker', interestingly I have not seen any of the Arabs or Irish make similar comments and I trust them more in theIr opinions.

Stayer - Mka Diva
Middle - Winx
Sprint - Northerly

Overall - Kingston Town

I did not Phar lap but the record is great and I think comparing era's is hard given improvements in training medicine and bi carb refinement.

Could you imagine any other horse winning on the Saturday before the Melbourne Cup, the Melbourne Cup on the Tuesday, winning on the Thursday and then on the Saturday?

Swan my interest in the GG's is very limited due to some family issues but some horses like sports people stand out by their exploits.

As a slight aside my favourite horse of all time just for courage and drawing a crowd is Mount Eden!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159283

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Hands and heels all the way....cruising from start to finish..Interesting to see that European Group one winner under the pump half way up the straight....poor thing getting the taste of the whip.....great run and another great win by Winx.....don't give a toss if she is or isn't the best....just great to see a champ in action......Pure Steel was my all time favourite.....like Winx, Steelo bought the the punters in.....

Last edit: by Freezin.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159286

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

Beasley Hutton wrote: 42 havent you already posted this topic previously?????
No change in my opinion from that last time this was brought up on here in that Winx is racing in the worst era of racing (wfa) I have seen in my 40 years of following.
She is a top quality mare dont get me wrong (28 wins in a row) but she is racing against donkeys to be honest!
She would probably be in my Top 10 but I would have Northerly, Phar Lap, Kingston Town, Makybe Diva, Tulloch, Rising Fast, Tobin Bronze, Might and Power ahead of her. She would be fighting with the likes of Black Caviar, Manikato, Lord, Ajax, Hydrogen et al for the last couple of spots in that 10.
Compare this years extremely ordinary Cox Plate field with those from the-
Northerly era in the early 2000s,
Better Loosen Up era in the early 90s,
KT era of the early 80s,
Bonecrusher/Our Waverley Star race in 86

There is no comparison in the class difference probably akin to the comparison of the WAFL from 1980 to the WAFL in 2018!

BH they where talking about Northerly wins in 2002.And the quality of the fields he beat in thoes group 1 races.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159292

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
Right up there with Julia Gillard.

Lengths ahead of Abbott and Morrison - and half the straight ahead of Jellyback Turnbull.

The entire straight against the Lyin' Rodent.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159295

• Leather Stops
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109

No change in my opinion from that last time this was brought up on here in that Winx is racing in the worst era of racing (wfa) I have seen in my 40 years of following.
She is a top quality mare dont get me wrong (28 wins in a row) but she is racing against donkeys to be honest!
She would probably be in my Top 10 but I would have Northerly, Phar Lap, Kingston Town, Makybe Diva, Tulloch, Rising Fast, Tobin Bronze, Might and Power ahead of her. She would be fighting with the likes of Black Caviar, Manikato, Lord, Ajax, Hydrogen et al for the last couple of spots in that 10.
KT era of the early 80s,

There is no comparison in the class difference probably akin to the comparison of the WAFL from 1980 to the WAFL in 2018!

Well said BH, Also there are FAR TOO many Group One races in Australia which are ONLY for breeding purposes. To recognise inferior horses for winning Group One races..
I remember one that you mentioned as an outstanding Champion back in 1954.. Rising Fast had an incredible Victorian campaign winning everything inc Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate ,McKinnon Stakes & Melbourne Cup. Yet he won 67000 Pounds & gets little reward. Most of Australia's G1 should be called LISTED races. Makybe Diva was a CHAMPION, Black Caviar was undefeated ( beat a lot of hacks) & bolted in the Newmarket Hcp to be a CHAMPION. Tulloch was over rated but a great 3yo. Phar Lap did it in the 1930 without all the Vet science now available to be a CHAMPION similar to Jesse Owens in the 1936 Berlin Olympics who now gets little recognition in his field..
WINX has beaten a lot of good horses. She is a CHAMPION according to us now. Probably the best.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159296

• swan42
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Leather Stops wrote:

KT era of the early 80s,

Well said BH, Also there are FAR TOO many Group One races in Australia which are ONLY for breeding purposes. To recognise inferior horses for winning Group One races..
I remember one that you mentioned as an outstanding Champion back in 1954.. Rising Fast had an incredible Victorian campaign winning everything inc Caulfield Cup, Cox Plate ,McKinnon Stakes & Melbourne Cup. Yet he won 67000 Pounds & gets little reward. Most of Australia's G1 should be called LISTED races. Makybe Diva was a CHAMPION, Black Caviar was undefeated ( beat a lot of hacks) & bolted in the Newmarket Hcp to be a CHAMPION. Tulloch was over rated but a great 3yo. Phar Lap did it in the 1930 without all the Vet science now available to be a CHAMPION similar to Jesse Owens in the 1936 Berlin Olympics who now gets little recognition in his field..
WINX has beaten a lot of good horses. She is a CHAMPION according to us now. Probably the best.

What also needs to be recognised that the weight scales are far more compressed these days than in previous generations, so the top weight doesn't need to give those horses on the minimum as much weight.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159300

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
42 would you like to put forward your Top 10 WA gallopers of all time.
Mine would be as follows-
1.Northerly
2.Aquanita
3.Miss Andretti
4.Placid Ark
5.Eurythmic
6.Scenic Blast
7.Blue Spec
8.Jolly Beggar
9.Easingwold
10.Black Heart Bart

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159301

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357

Beasley Hutton wrote: 42 would you like to put forward your Top 10 WA gallopers of all time.
1.Northerly
2.Aquanita
3.Miss Andretti
4.Placid Ark
5.Eurythmic
6.Scenic Blast
7.Blue Spec
8.Jolly Beggar
9.Easingwold
10.Black Heart Bart

Few names there must be before our time I'm assuming BH. Have you forgotten Fimiston, Heron Bridge, Jungle Dawn, Moss Kingdom, Phizam...... to name a few.

Plastered looked like he could have been anything but I think died on the track.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by DD.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159302

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357
A more illustrious list and champions of the track that dominated throughout Australia and New Zealand as follows not in any particular order trained and owned in WA:
Mount Eden
Daintys Daughter
Pure Steel
San Simeon
Satinover
Prex Chevalier
Black Irish
Village Kid
Classic Garry
Jack Morris
The Falcon Strike
Our Mighty Quinn
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by DD.

Winx: where would you rate her? 5 years 5 months ago #159308

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

DD wrote:

Beasley Hutton wrote: 42 would you like to put forward your Top 10 WA gallopers of all time.
1.Northerly
2.Aquanita
3.Miss Andretti
4.Placid Ark
5.Eurythmic
6.Scenic Blast
7.Blue Spec
8.Jolly Beggar
9.Easingwold
10.Black Heart Bart

Few names there must be before our time I'm assuming BH. Have you forgotten Fimiston, Heron Bridge, Jungle Dawn, Moss Kingdom, Phizam...... to name a few.

Plastered looked like he could have been anything but I think died on the track.

Yes DD the likes of Eurythmic, Easingwold, Jolly Beggar & Blue Spec were all from the early 1900s but won the big races in Melbourne- Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup, Melbourne Cup etc. Aquanita was from the early 1960s.
Those you listed were very good horses in the 80s but only really won in Perth, I excluded Moss Kingdom as there was a family connection.
Plastered won a Vic Derby and I did consider him but unfortunately his race career wasnt as long and distinguished as the others.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 361 guests and one member online

• Whitey

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977