Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122755

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1161
In the 70s WANFL had all its own people, MARSH SPARROW WOODS Etc ...VFL was just a side interest , maybe a quick glance at the ladder or so, check on how your own clubs recruits were going over east etc, but WANFL was where it was at big time in WA. The WINNERS had all ABC callers and RICHARDS and DWYER were on 7. The main time you would hear them and first I remember was the LIVE VFL GRAND FINAL Broadcast here into Perth a week after our WANFL GF. That was mid to late 70s. later in mid 80s TVW 7 would start broadcasting a live VFL Games on Saturday after a lot of opposition from the WAFL chiefs. Lou was still going then, he was still calling when the Eagles came in along with Bob Skilton later Ch 7 dropped him and he moved to Ch 9 Panel Shows.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Bazza.

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122758

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2872
Lou Richards never commented on Eagles games as he had moved to Ch9 in 1987 the year they started.
Also I can't remember VFL games being broadcast on a Saturday on Ch7 until the Eagles came along in 87 but definitely on Sundays they used to broadcast Sydney home games from around 82 when they moved up there which didn't clash with the WAFL that were predominantly played on Saturday back then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122765

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Beasley Hutton wrote: Lou Richards never commented on Eagles games as he had moved to Ch9 in 1987 the year they started.
Also I can't remember VFL games being broadcast on a Saturday on Ch7 until the Eagles came along in 87 but definitely on Sundays they used to broadcast Sydney home games from around 82 when they moved up there which didn't clash with the WAFL that were predominantly played on Saturday back then.

Spot on mate, we got Sunday games live- mainly Sydney Swans from the SCG 82 onwards, never live Saurdays until about 87 when Eagles games were beamed in but when they played here at home on alternate weeks on Sundays I don't think they did other VFL games live initially, can only remember Richards doing GF's
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by Swandog.

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122771

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Here is a list of Ch 7 VFL GF Broadcasters - Ch 7 lost the rights to VFL in 1987 to Broadcom - which is why they did not cover it, however in Perth TVW still broadcast it in a deal with the ABC. Richards left Ch 7 when they lost the rights and did not return. I am also pretty sure in 1986 TVW were covering live VFL Finals Games on Saturdays.

1988 (HAW vs Melb): [PbP] Drew MORPHETT, COMETTI; [Special] BLIGHT; [Boundary] SCOTT, QUINLAN
1986 (HAW vs Carl): [PbP] Peter LANDY, Lou RICHARDS; [Special] Bob SKILTON; [Boundary] Peter DONEGAN
1985 (ESS vs Haw): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary] DONEGAN
1984 (ESS vs Haw): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary] Stephen PHILLIPS
1983 (Ess vs HAW): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1982 (CARL vs Rich): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1981 (CARL vs Coll): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1980 (RICH vs Coll): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1979 (Coll vs CARL): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1978 (North vs HAW): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1977 (NORTH vs Coll): [PbP] Peter EWIN, RICHARDS; [Special] Jack EDWARDS; [Boundary]
1976 (HAW vs North): [PbP] Michael WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1975 (Haw vs NORTH): [PbP] WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1974 (RICH vs North): [PbP] WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]

Last edit: by Bazza.

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122773

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Bazza wrote: Here is a list of Ch 7 VFL GF Broadcasters - Ch 7 lost the rights to VFL in 1987 to Broadcom - which is why they did not cover it, however in Perth TVW still broadcast it in a deal with the ABC. Richards left Ch 7 when they lost the rights and did not return.

1988 (HAW vs Melb): [PbP] Drew MORPHETT, COMETTI; [Special] BLIGHT; [Boundary] SCOTT, QUINLAN
1986 (HAW vs Carl): [PbP] Peter LANDY, Lou RICHARDS; [Special] Bob SKILTON; [Boundary] Peter DONEGAN
1985 (ESS vs Haw): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary] DONEGAN
1984 (ESS vs Haw): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary] Stephen PHILLIPS
1983 (Ess vs HAW): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1982 (CARL vs Rich): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1981 (CARL vs Coll): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1980 (RICH vs Coll): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1979 (Coll vs CARL): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] SKILTON; [Boundary]
1978 (North vs HAW): [PbP] LANDY, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1977 (NORTH vs Coll): [PbP] Peter EWIN, RICHARDS; [Special] Jack EDWARDS; [Boundary]
1976 (HAW vs North): [PbP] Michael WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1975 (Haw vs NORTH): [PbP] WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]
1974 (RICH vs North): [PbP] WILLIAMSON, RICHARDS; [Special] ; [Boundary]

They are all Grand Finals He never did home and away games into Perth, we saw highlights on Sunday morns
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122774

• Bazza
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
My personal fav was Mike Williamson, also liked Landy and Morphett , Skilton was great for special comments.

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122790

• Demons Forever
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248

Dirty Weekender wrote:

Demons Forever wrote: Way back in 1961 Lou drank milk out of Haydn Bunton's footy boot.
Happened on the Sunday Footy Show after the Grand Final.
I think it was on Channel 7.
The result of a bet over the result.
Should have stuck to VFL.
RIP Lou.

I know this story from my Grandfather who assisted with this bet being honoured. Lou made the bet at the start of the season with Bunton when Bunton declared to him he'd lead SD to a flag. I always heard they poured beer but milk sounds more like Lou. Happened at the back of the Macca stand in the version I've heard. Can you clarify DF as I was only a young tacker when my grandfather told me this story, memory and facts were a little hazy at that stage for both of us.

Always had a soft spot for Lou simply because he had the same bare knuckle boxer style cauliflower nose as my grandfather, they looked very alike and a similar sense of humour...reminded me of Grandy every time I saw him on the telly. Lou was an absolute ripper bloke. RIP you funny bugger, thanks for the joy you brought me as a footy mad kid.

DW not sure about it happening at the back at the Macca stand, may well have.
But on TV on the Sunday show he drank the milk. Out of memory I think they had a glass or one of those small bottles we used to get at school inside the boot.
Cant remember whether Bunton was in the studio or not. I'm assuming it was supposed to Bunton's boot.
Sounds like the bet was paid that's for sure.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirty Weekender

RIP Lou 6 years 10 months ago #122992

• Winger
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 131
I can recall Lou commentating the 1971 wafl grand final on seven, poor old Lou didn't know many of the players, he winged his way through the game, it was very entertaining both the commentary and the game.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 377 guests and 3 members online

• Royals78
  • Mr AFL
  • Swedgen

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr