Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122642

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162
Well the old blokes gone, last link with the great days of VFL.

First commentator I remember on VFL games.

RIP Lou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122696

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874
My first recollection of Lou 'The Lip' Richards as a kid was in his weekly radio spot with 'Baby' John Burgess on a Friday morning in the late 70s early 80s with his VFL tips for the round and his weekly kiss of death plus his parting joke which was usually at the expense of his beloved wife Edna.
I also always got the impression in those radio days he might have had a soft spot for the WA Black & Whites over here in the WAFL.

R.I.P Lou
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122698

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
Revolutionised Footy commentary with his entertaining style along with his good mate Jack Dyer

A few of Lou's commentary funnies

"I haven't seen that before in a very long time"

"Any time Carlton scores more than 100 points and holds the other team below 100 points they almost always win."

Another legend gone RIP

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122702

• Mr AFL
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 145
RIP Lou Richards. Will always remember Lou's Handball. Absolutely loved that segment.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122706

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386
I concure with all the above sentiments.
And used to hang on his every word during his Friday nite TV slot doing tips with the local anchor or as BH remembered with Burgo on 6PM, great days & greater days than these.
I also wish that some of the WAFLs equivelant characters who have passed would receive the same recognition and plaudits and when John K Watts eventually leaves us (hopefully not for a long time yet!) it will be equally as sad a day as he was as big in Perth back in the day. Things have been blown out of proportion in these VFL/AFLcentric days.
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122725

• Demons Forever
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Way back in 1961 Lou drank milk out of Haydn Bunton's footy boot.
Happened on the Sunday Footy Show after the Grand Final.
I think it was on Channel 7.
The result of a bet over the result.
Should have stuck to VFL.
RIP Lou.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.
Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY THING !!!!!!
I shot the fukin sherriff!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Last edit: by Demons Forever.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122730

• Beasley Hutton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2874

Swandog wrote: I concure with all the above sentiments.
And used to hang on his every word during his Friday nite TV slot doing tips with the local anchor or as BH remembered with Burgo on 6PM, great days & greater days than these.
I also wish that some of the WAFLs equivelant characters who have passed would receive the same recognition and plaudits and when John K Watts eventually leaves us (hopefully not for a long time yet!) it will be equally as sad a day as he was as big in Perth back in the day. Things have been blown out of proportion in these VFL/AFLcentric days.

The greatest football commentator in the history of the game the Late Great Frank Sparrow passed away many years ago now unfortunately (late 90s from memory) but I was absolutely dumbfounded at the time how little recognition there was in the local media let alone by the Vic centric mob.
Frank should have been lauded for his magnificent contribution to football in WA/AUS as both a player and commentator/media personality much like Lou was for the Vics but it passed here with barely a murmur...extremely sad in my books! :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122733

• Bazza
  • Bazza's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1162

Grassy wrote: You could see a lot of LOU and still barely scratch the surface.He was Larger Than Life!

Of course,much of what we saw and heard was On Air Commentary.But of course,LOU was well known for his time on World of Sport,League Teams with Jack Dyer and Bob Davis.

His Kiss of Death predictions were Legendary,as was his penalties in keeping his word on lost bets.

As much as we Hate Collingwood,LOU's contribution to them as a player and Captain was Fantastic,with 250 Games and a Premiership,as Captain,the story itself was Legendary.

He did all sorts of things,made us laugh and if you ask me,deserves to be made a LEGEND of Aussie Rules Footy.

Hopefully,he's up there joining his Belived Wife Edna,Brother Ron,the Pannams,Jack and Lou,Ron Casey and have a laugh or 3.

RIP LOU.

Don't forget the other wise monkey Bobby Davis ,,now also gone.

So the last of them now all gone.

A great era and really made footy TV what it is today.

Although we had our own legends here (WORLD OF FOOTBALL PANEL), when TVW 7 started broad casting VFL here on a Saturday and later Sunday. Lou was always the main voice, him and the great Captain Blood.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122740

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374

Demons Forever wrote: Way back in 1961 Lou drank milk out of Haydn Bunton's footy boot.
Happened on the Sunday Footy Show after the Grand Final.
I think it was on Channel 7.
The result of a bet over the result.
Should have stuck to VFL.
RIP Lou.

I know this story from my Grandfather who assisted with this bet being honoured. Lou made the bet at the start of the season with Bunton when Bunton declared to him he'd lead SD to a flag. I always heard they poured beer but milk sounds more like Lou. Happened at the back of the Macca stand in the version I've heard. Can you clarify DF as I was only a young tacker when my grandfather told me this story, memory and facts were a little hazy at that stage for both of us.

Always had a soft spot for Lou simply because he had the same bare knuckle boxer style cauliflower nose as my grandfather, they looked very alike and a similar sense of humour...reminded me of Grandy every time I saw him on the telly. Lou was an absolute ripper bloke. RIP you funny bugger, thanks for the joy you brought me as a footy mad kid.

RIP Lou 6 years 11 months ago #122749

• Swandog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 386

Bazza wrote:

Grassy wrote: You could see a lot of LOU and still barely scratch the surface.He was Larger Than Life!

Of course,much of what we saw and heard was On Air Commentary.But of course,LOU was well known for his time on World of Sport,League Teams with Jack Dyer and Bob Davis.

His Kiss of Death predictions were Legendary,as was his penalties in keeping his word on lost bets.

As much as we Hate Collingwood,LOU's contribution to them as a player and Captain was Fantastic,with 250 Games and a Premiership,as Captain,the story itself was Legendary.

He did all sorts of things,made us laugh and if you ask me,deserves to be made a LEGEND of Aussie Rules Footy.

Hopefully,he's up there joining his Belived Wife Edna,Brother Ron,the Pannams,Jack and Lou,Ron Casey and have a laugh or 3.

RIP LOU.

Don't forget the other wise monkey Bobby Davis ,,now also gone.

So the last of them now all gone.

A great era and really made footy TV what it is today.

Although we had our own legends here (WORLD OF FOOTBALL PANEL), when TVW 7 started broad casting VFL here on a Saturday and later Sunday. Lou was always the main voice, him and the great Captain Blood.

Really his legend status Aust wide is a bit blown out of proportion, like Ted Whitten it is all Vic Centric and Eddie saying that knowone has done more for football than Lou is a bit rich, maybe in Vic but not here.
We really only started to see the full Lou Richards Character from 93 onwards with the 9 footy show on Sundsy beamed into Perth but pre VFL it was 1 game a week plus a Frid nite tipping segment all of 5 mins and with Burgo on the radio. We had our own stars and personalities here - Watts, Sparrow, Percy, Marsh, Cribb. McDonald, Marshall etc
Beneath the Southern cross i stand, on Bassendean Oval, can in hand, Swan Districts, you Farkin Beauty!

Last edit: by Swandog.
  • Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 360 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020