Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CEO Update 10 years 3 months ago #33333

• redandblue
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
CEO UPDATE

What a whirlwind 10 weeks it has been since I commenced my role as the CEO of this proud football club.

After watching from a far as the opposition in recent years, I recognised the unrealised potential in both the playing group, and the Glenelg Football Club as a whole. This is what made this role so attractive.

After taking the reigns the week after the 2013 SANFL Grand Final (in which our reserves side under Steve Symonds came so close to taking out), I have jumped straight in, rolled the sleeves up, and got stuck in to the challenging role of getting this great club back towards the top where it belongs, both on and off the field.

On the field

The appointments of our new senior coach Nick Stevens, and our Head of Football Development Matthew Lokan, has given the club a huge injection of enthusiasm. These gentlemen have had successful playing careers at the highest level. They also have been so close to the ultimate success in their short coaching careers to date. The vision they have for our playing group is exciting, and their hunger for success is contagious.

Watching the playing group getting fitter, and enjoying themselves in doing so, has been fantastic. A new coaching set-up has provided a clean slate for all players. This has given many a new lease of life. All spots are up for the grabs and the boys are certainly increasing the tempo each session and the improvement in fitness and confidence already can be clearly seen.

Experienced AFL recruits in Sam Lonergan and Aaron Joseph will add class and experience to our midfield. Patrick McCarthy & Nathan Stark, Glenelg boys returning after time in the AFL system, will be hungry to prove themselves as top level SANFL players and maybe earn the chance of another crack at the big time.

Also joining us is young Josh Scott, who is straight off a fantastic season in the TAC Cup for Gippsland Power under Nick Stevens. We also welcome Clint Alleway, a ready- made SANFL player with strength and experience, fresh from a year of travelling. And just this week we have signed Mitch Thorp, another key forward with AFL experience. We have added the required depth to a forward line that will get plenty of opportunities to kick goals in 2014 with our new game style.

There are also a number of other potential recruits from the country and local football leagues, who are really impressing in their bids to become SANFL players with the Glenelg Football Club. Add to this boys who have moved up from our under 18’s looking for their opportunity at senior footy, and we have the makings of a very exciting playing list for season 2014.

Off the field

The financial sustainability of our club is very much dependent on the operation of a successful licensed facility. The Bar & Bistro, the Gaming room, and the Function Centre must all be operating at their full potential to provide the overall football club with the financial resources it needs to be a success on the field.

This is my priority, and with my accounting qualifications and experience in consulting to hospitality businesses, I will ensure we all know what our targets are and promptly be able to report on whether we are achieving them.

But most importantly we need patronage. We need our members, our players, our supporters and our community coming through the doors and spending there hard-earned money in their club. This club belongs to all of us!

My immediate short-term goals are:

Turn those in the Glenelg Community with no affiliation to an SANFL club into Glenelg supporters

The club needs to reach-out the to the greater Glenelg & Holdfast Bay community. We need to engage and even re-engage with local schools, local businesses, local sporting clubs and other local recreation and leisure groups, and make them feel welcome and want to be a part of our club. We have a fantastic facility that more people within our community should be utilising.

We need to have great relationships with other key stakeholders, the most important of these being the City of Holdfast Bay Council, to ensure the decisions we make as a club are for the greater good of our community.

Turn supporters into members, and members into active members

The Glenelg Football Club has always been near the top in supporter base numbers. But why is it that our membership numbers don’t reflect the size of our supporter base? What can we do to make Glenelg supporters Glenelg Football Club members? We need to make a Glenelg Football Club membership a desired commodity. We need to provide a member with more benefits and a great experience every time they visit the facility. We need to make our members feel they have ownership of the venue (which they effectively do), so they continue to support it, win or lose, 52 weeks a year.

A number of initiatives are currently being planned that will bring the Glenelg Football Club closer to its members, its sponsors and its community. Watch this space!

Season 2014 brings with it the biggest changes in the SANFL since 1991. With the advent of South Australia’s AFL clubs having their reserves teams in the SANFL league competition and the impending move to a commercial broadcaster, there will be additional exposure and new opportunities. We need to be ready to make the most of it.

I am very proud to be the CEO of the Glenelg Football Club, and I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible, and guiding our club to success in 2014 and beyond.

Cheers,

Steve Moore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 662 guests and 5 members online

• BC
  • mikeh
  • Whitey
  • Blackduck
  • Johnny Leonard

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr