Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

C1 Mid-Season Review and Round 10 5 years 10 months ago #149383

• Get around him
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Good morning all, and what a weekend we have in front of us as we enter the second half of the season. The return leg is always the most interesting as it gives us an idea on who has improved, and who has dropped of as the wear and tear of the year takes its toll.
Weather looks to be ok, should be dry with minimal wind so skills should come to the fore.
But first, reaching the halfway point of the season deserves a mid-season review on each team. Listed by order of ladder position:
1. Ballajura 8-1. Right where we thought they would be at the start of the year. Showed their potential last year, and with perhaps a weaker class to compete against in 2018, their last 6 weeks since their round 2 hiccup vs Melville have been impeccable. An absolute lock for finals.
2. Gosnells 7-2. Had an eventful year off the field, but have managed to hold it together and sit in a respectable 2nd. Should be 8-1 really, but dropped one against Kenwick and got a reality check vs Ballajura. Well placed for the second half of the year. Will be there deep in the finals on form, however anything can happen in the second half of the year.
3. Bassendean 6-3 - See above, excelling in their first year back in C1 however, are 0-3 vs top 4 sides so would be looking to shake the flat track bully tag in the second half of the year. Will taste finals action this year, however unless they can improve against the top sides they may just be making up the numbers.
4. Melville 6-3. The surprise packet of C1. Not expected by many to avoid relegation again in 2018 after being gifted a lifeline to stay in C1 thanks to Noranda, they have graciously accepted ithe challenge and got to work. Havent won pretty with some close margins, but winning none the less. Taken big scalps in Balla and Basso, and with 5 of their last 9 games at home, would have to say that their are finals bound also.
5. Willeton 5-4. A team that offers so much each year, but continues to lose the unloseable. Find themselves mid-pack yet again at the half way point and at the tipping edge of a season that could mean something, or a lose away from another could-have year. Tough month coming with the top 3 back to back after Quinns, so we will know where they are at come round 14. I think they will take the finals spot, however just making up the numbers.
6. Carlisle 4-5. Caught the biggest fish of C1 in Hunter in the lead up to the season, but again like Willeton find themselves mid-pack, with some work to do to claim that finals spot. As fate would have it, like Willeton they face the top 3 in the next 3 weeks so if they can steal one or 2 of those games, then the pressure goes back on the others around them on the ladder.
7. Kenwick 4-5. At the start of the year I didnt have them staying in C1. But have probably done enough to ensure their survival and another chance in C1 next year. Cant see them making their way into the top 5. There is too big a gap between their best and their worst, and I cant see them winning a game against a side above them on the ladder.
8. Stirling 3-6. Have been a bigger disappointment than the 2 sides below them. Started the year like a house of fire with 3 wins however have the worst losing record in the comp since them with the next 6 straight being big losses. Since beating Melville by 2 points in round 3,, there next closest margin has been a 20 point loss with the other margins in excess of 50. Those 3 wins early in the year may save them, but I cant see them surviving as they are miles off the pace at the moment.
9. Quinns 1-8. A successful club staring down the barrell, which is sad to see as they have been a good competitive club for many years. Round 15 and 16 vs Striling and Bullcreek is their grand final, and they need to throw everything behind them as if they lose just 1 they are gone. I reckon they will go down with Striling.
10. Bullcreek 1-8. Very disappointing season yet again for a club who was in B grade a few years ago. Long have they been seen as a 'big' club but that needs to change as they see themselves in the relegation battle for the 3 year out of the last 4. Their success depends on their WAFL permit players, get them back at the right time and they will be ok. The opposite will be a disaster. I think they will do enough to stay up.

Will keep the match previews short as they above has taken long enough.

Willeton vs Quinns. Willeton for me in this one, will be too strong especially at home. Willo by 21.
Bullcreek vs Ballajura. Easiest tip of the round, Balla by plenty. Balla by 71.
Carlisle vs Bassendean. Interesting match-up, one Basso should win but I'm tipping an upset. Carlisle by 11.
Melville vs Gosnells. MOTR, will be a beauty. Purely on the basis of home ground advantage, Melville by 14.
Kenwick vs Stirling. What Kenwick will show up, and what team changes have Stirling made? Must win for Stirling, but can't go past Kenwick at home. Kenwick by 19.

Have a great weekend everyone, and enjoy 'Super Sport Saturday'. Plenty of football, both AFL and soccer, to enjoy !
The following user(s) said Thank You: lozza

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Get around him.

C1 Mid-Season Review and Round 10 5 years 10 months ago #149492

• Sugarkane
  • Thank you received: 0
Great write up GAH. Been following your write ups all year mate and its appreciated the have something to read about the comp each week.

Huge round coming up this week with all top 6 teams vsing each other and it would shape a different ladder position for some again. Massive weekend just gone with what you could say some upsets or some reality checks.

C1 Mid-Season Review and Round 10 5 years 10 months ago #149516

• Get around him
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Interesting results this weekend. The Carlisle upset I tipped came through, easily beating a disappointing Bassendean who are seemingly on the slide. And Melville easily (well, had its moments as I will touch on later) beating Gosnells.

Down at Melville Reserve, the Rams colts had a very comfortable win over a hapless Gosnells team. They are the dirtiest side I have seen in a long time. I like what Gosnells are doing down there, the club seems to be travelling very well but if this is how their crop of future players are going to go about it, its very concerning. #23, after knocking a player unconscious but pinning his arms and driving him head first into the ground, decided to get up and rub the unconscious players face into the ground for good measure. #10 getting into a scrap, and whilst the Melville player also wasn't innocent, the lack of effort from the bench as the two players continued to square off coming off the ground (luckily the Melville runner intervened). He only sat off for 5 mins with a yellow before they saw fit to put him back on. #16 slinging a player to the ground 50m behind the play. Numerous other snipes etc during the game. Was truly shameful.

A 6 goal to none first qtr and then a 9 goal to 2 last qtr set up a big Gosnells win in the reserves. They look a very even side with good ball users across the park. Will be hard to beat come finals time.

If I told you that Gosnells led 7 goals to 1 at qtr time would you believe me? Well its true, as they dominated the first qtr, and through a few acts of discipline in the 2nd qtr Melville worked back into it to reduce the deficit to 2 goals at half time. A couple of early goals in the 3rd got Melville in front and whilst Gossies got it back to within a kick at one point, the rest of the game was one way as the Rams kicked away. Melville played very well, tackled hard and other than the first qtr didn't let Gosnells dictate play. Gossies gave away some 50s in the first half which were absolute momentum killers for them.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 400 guests and 3 members online

• Time For a Flag
  • Mossstreetshark83

Newest Footy Recruits

• whatoma
  • ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric