Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148912

• Dempsey
  • Thank you received: 18
As a point of interest what provision in the suggested points arrangement is there If the Reserves competition is "phased out" at WAFL level in 2019? My information suggests that there will be a massive exodus of footballers from WAFL to Amateurs in 2019 whether this happens or not, particularly if the reserves games are shifted to another day or time slot.

Won't that be an infringement of a players entitlement to play at the next highest level with the club of his choice?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148918

• Queens town
  • Thank you received: 6
I think you blokes are missing the point.
Since 1958, 47 of the 60 Grand Finals have been won by 4 clubs (Uni, Wemb, Nth Beach and Mt Lawley)
There is a changing of the guard lately, but was it something in the water in those suburbs?
Kids dont grow up in Gosnells, Quinns or Rockingham wishing they could play for North Beach.....these clubs dont "attract" players....they are fed players via the WAFL and if you think "creating a level playing field" in any way interests these clubs you are kidding yourselves. They will be all about maintaining the unhealthy status quo.
There are any number of workable points systems in use around Australia that recognise and limit small numbers of clubs constantly being fed professional players without penalty and could have been introduced at any time since this was first floated here 4 or 5 years ago and which are fair for all grades, but any of these would shatter the monopoly of the current power clubs and open the door for the rest of us...hence aint happening any time soon.
It is much easier to sit on top of the Amateur Moral Mountain and shout "integrity" whilst hounding the lower clubs for alledged petty small time payment breaches and thereby protect their players from being "attracted" elsewhere.

If you want a healthy vibrant competition that rewards clubs which plan and build a player base, that are successful on and off the field, that shares around the success but doesnt artificially gift it to the chosen few in perpetuity, then forget about whether or not players are payed and instead bring in a points system now!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BigO, CasualObserver

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148925

• CasualObserver
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
QT - I agree. It is an eternal struggle for some clubs to keep their talent which are being told by WAFL clubs to only play for certain clubs in their district - whether or not your colts are successful seems immaterial. Thankfully loyalty wins the day in most cases for us.

I can't see change on this issue until people representing lower grade clubs have a significant footprint on the WAAFL Executive.

Last edit: by CasualObserver.

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148929

• Unholytugboat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100

Queens town wrote: I think you blokes are missing the point.
Since 1958, 47 of the 60 Grand Finals have been won by 4 clubs (Uni, Wemb, Nth Beach and Mt Lawley)
There is a changing of the guard lately, but was it something in the water in those suburbs?
Kids dont grow up in Gosnells, Quinns or Rockingham wishing they could play for North Beach.....these clubs dont "attract" players....they are fed players via the WAFL and if you think "creating a level playing field" in any way interests these clubs you are kidding yourselves. They will be all about maintaining the unhealthy status quo.
There are any number of workable points systems in use around Australia that recognise and limit small numbers of clubs constantly being fed professional players without penalty and could have been introduced at any time since this was first floated here 4 or 5 years ago and which are fair for all grades, but any of these would shatter the monopoly of the current power clubs and open the door for the rest of us...hence aint happening any time soon.
It is much easier to sit on top of the Amateur Moral Mountain and shout "integrity" whilst hounding the lower clubs for alledged petty small time payment breaches and thereby protect their players from being "attracted" elsewhere.

If you want a healthy vibrant competition that rewards clubs which plan and build a player base, that are successful on and off the field, that shares around the success but doesnt artificially gift it to the chosen few in perpetuity, then forget about whether or not players are payed and instead bring in a points system now!

I think this is a little off the mark, the other consistent factor about those 4 clubs is that they are very well run and have exemptional depth thru colts and the lower grades.

It is obvious with some clubs, it's usually the ones trying to be something they are not that get the cheque book out. I wouldn't have these four at the top of the list any day of the week. Competitiveness of the reserve grade is usually a giveaway
The following user(s) said Thank You: lozza

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148954

• gazzaablett
  • Thank you received: 0
You bring up some good points Queens Town.

The player points system has been brought up for years and the WAAFL have done nothing about it. Surely by now they would taken notice/ideas from other competitions around Australia and would have a general idea on how they run the points system.

It seem every year its brought up and they ask for feedback but never actually proceed with it.

QTown hit the nail on the head the top clubs would lose the Monopoly if a system was brought in.

Interesting to see if this will be brought in next year and how it will affect clubs.

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148978

• Queens town
All clubs that compete Within the WAAFL exist and believe that if they do all the right things they eventually have a chance to win an. A grade grade final...this is what they aspire to
The rolle of club administrators is to do their best to make that happen
The role of the WAAFL administration is to make that aspiration achievable
The current system takes that out of the reach of most.
Please make our competition about merit .... Not history

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #148981

• Queens town
Something they are not?

Wow!

Are you on the WAAFL committee?

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #149234

• Mr Mysterious
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
This has been an interesting topic for many reasons and it is time that the voice of reason MrM joined in.

I think the perception of every single WAAFL A/B Grade club paying players is just wrong and often unfounded. Some clubs in lower grades thinking payment of players rife and most are getting paid. If you do say they are though, where is your proof? DO you know firsthand? If so why don’t you report it? The WAAFL has a hard working integrity officer who would happily follow up your claim.

Building a club from the ground up is hard, but it is definitely the only way to go to sustain success for a club.

Take 4 clubs currently in A Grade for example. Kalamunda, Kingsway, Scarborough and Wanneroo. In 2010 all these clubs were in C Grade and MrM may be speaking for all, but you do hear things and most were at low ebb, both financially and player personal point of view. For those who have been around a long time (like MrM) you will remember back then there was 2 C Grades for a period of time 20 teams in that bracket and 4 clubs progressed to be in A Grade in 8 seasons. Even two other clubs got to A Grade but have drifted off.
MrM may be wrong, but in that season all Colts, Reserve and League from each team made finals. Over that time, each side has managed to climb through the grades. Player numbers for those clubs have increased 3, 4 even 5 senior sides.
2 of those clubs have two Colts teams.
Why?
Clubs are as much about off field management, governance and member retention as it about on field. Perhaps it is time the WAAFL did bring a points system, to encourage clubs to build Colts sides, maintain a relationship with junior clubs and overall lead to a better club…however if you aren’t doing this already, then perhaps a rethinking is needed.
Movement between clubs may be reduce as a result however this may lead to clubs growing in size with player retention.

It is definitely a good topic for discussion and we could all sit around, point the finger and talk all day. Good to see the passion for local football is alive and well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lozza

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #149249

• Stinker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 9
My M...i normally enjoy your write ups and wit, but you are well off the mark here. Incentives in the high grades is a fact, all high grade clubs probably not but many. Always third party always no direct connection to club involved.
Enough of it goes on so that no tit for tat accusations are made.

The points system is the only way forward if the WAAFL are sincere in its desire for a level playing field. All the present all the so called integrity committee are doing is pinging lower grade club's (whether fact or fiction) to keep there positions relevant

Last edit: by Stinker.

Level playing field - A grade 5 years 10 months ago #149253

• KickTheBall
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Help me understand how this points system works. Because a lot of people on here say that the WAFL have it in place and that’s not a level playing field at all, subi still dominate and Perth still struggle!!!

An amateur clubs encourages and invites players to come to there club. If I’m an ex-wafl premiership player and want to play with my mates at lets say for example Wanneroo... but the club has to turn me away because they have already reached there points limit??

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 782 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977
  • MrBulldog2020
  • MrBulldog