Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133651

• RedLegs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
BY-LAW 1 AMATEUR STATUS
1.3 Any club which offers to make payment or makes payment, either directly or indirectly including via a third party, by remuneration, earnings or reward whatsoever whether by way of match payments, sponsorship, reimbursement of expenses, including travel expenses or otherwise to any person to play in the WAAFL (except as set out in By-law 1.6) shall be:
a) ineligible for finals in the current football season and be relegated to the next lowest grade for the following football season;
b) fined a sum not exceeding forty thousand dollars ($40,000).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dingo, Viper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133653

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

RedLegs wrote: BY-LAW 1 AMATEUR STATUS
1.3 Any club which offers to make payment or makes payment, either directly or indirectly including via a third party, by remuneration, earnings or reward whatsoever whether by way of match payments, sponsorship, reimbursement of expenses, including travel expenses or otherwise to any person to play in the WAAFL (except as set out in By-law 1.6) shall be:
a) ineligible for finals in the current football season and be relegated to the next lowest grade for the following football season;

Redlegs what are the sanctions for the player receiving such a payment?

Also, as a matter of interest what is the situation with respect to weekly best player awards and is there any scrutiny regarding those awards? For example, would it be possible for a player to win every rounds' best player award with impunity?

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133657

• Viper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 59
I think it's now a maximum of $200 for all cash awards or top award. Can't remember.

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133662

• RedLegs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29

swan42 wrote:

RedLegs wrote: BY-LAW 1 AMATEUR STATUS

Redlegs what are the sanctions for the player receiving such a payment?

Also, as a matter of interest what is the situation with respect to weekly best player awards and is there any scrutiny regarding those awards? For example, would it be possible for a player to win every rounds' best player award with impunity?

Player penalty for not complying with amateur status from another poster:

A. be fined a sum not exceeding $2000; and
B. have their registration to play cancelled.
A player is permitted to receive a match day award in recognition of performance not exceeding the value of $200.

Think there is a max of $500 of awards per team. That's cash, products or vouchers.

Could a player win BOG each week? They could but would think that their teammates might see through that

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133669

• AngryAnt
  • Thank you received: 0
What an absolute joke this is. I feel sorry for the club and all involved with this circus act. If this is the real reason for disqualification then ild bring the whole waafl to a 2 grade, 16 team competition next year in a heartbeat if i wanted to. Money is getting splashed out all over the ammos, from colts and C4 all the way to the top at A Grade. Funny how it wasnt a high rolling A grade club that got stung for actually 'doing the dodgy' instead of 'an alledged offer to pay some fuel money'. Like seriously, to think youve been investigating this for months when theres big coin actually getting spent everywhere else shows an incompetent setup too lazy, naive or stupid to go catch genuine perpetrators. Grow some balls and stop using (as far as im aware) an innocent c4 club as youre scapegoat!

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133681

• lozza
  • Thank you received: 2
Its alright to have an opinion or surmise that a club is paying players, but a lot harder to prove. Unless the 1 of the 2 parties involved is unhappy with the situation or talks to much it is very hard for WAAFL to gather the evidence need to prosecute. Last year every A and B player either signed a statuary declaration to state they were not being payed, or a few players left the competition. unless like in this case the ammos had the evidence, it is hard to prosecute. in this environment, I would think it would be extremely hard to fork out money, or find a sponsor willing to pay players in your team year after year, to keep the players at a club. the best way to keep them is to provide a pathway from juniors so that mates stay together. this is more proof why the WAAFL need to bring in the points system to all clubs ASAP

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133685

• Ando1984
From the information I know and sorry if this is wrong or repeated but is what my brother in law from club has told me and discussed at a meeting at the club and I want to defend the club. This player in question asked another club for money without knowing the amateur rules and then when he changed to the Cobras, his previous club put in a complaint to the WAAFL saying that he must be getting paid to move clubs. Investigation started from there (April or May) and player signed statements saying no money no offer and no travel money ever discussed or changed hands. At a hearing it was dismissed and all good although new evidence could always reopen the case. the last development I understand was that the player was threatened with suspension himself as he had asked previous club for money and breached bylaws so therefore agreed to sign a stat dec saying he was offered but never received travel money from cobras which waivered any penalty to him. case reopened with that stat dec and hence the penalty be probability of offering travel money. hope im right in all my information and clears any questions up

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133691

• Smithy101
Why has this player got off Scott free and the club punished

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133731

• Disco Knight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
So this begs the question?

Some clubs have offered free fees to play at their clubs this year in an open format?

Is this now an issue that can see the club fined $40,000?

If you are going to go hard on one club you have to go the same everywhere?

Clubs are offering this across every grade I would say and advertising it to get players etc?

Can of Worms about to open I would think.

Get the points system in asap with a limited salary cap like country?

Thoughts?
Knight Footy is the winner!

Last edit: by Disco Knight.

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 6 months ago #133734

• Peter Pan
  • Thank you received: 2
Na that's different disco, there is no rule that says a club has to charge fees, also they offer it to everyone not selected individuals. I have little sympathy for clubs that pay regardless of how widespread it is, it amounts to cheating, I am perplexed though as to how this player who accepted the alleged offer, is still allowed to play.

Last edit: by Peter Pan.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 270 guests and one member online

• Success Hill

Newest Footy Recruits

• BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL