Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133292

• ratlife
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes pretty much spot on. The club has not only been kicked out of finals in both grades in 2017 but are also ineligible for finals in 2018 for the league side. A fine is also still pending.

Another club made an unsubstantiated allegation against the Cobras and this was followed up by the CIO.

The club won an appeal against the decision and the penalty was overturned by the competition intergrity committee. The case was reopened by the board two weeks ago.

The evidence they have is the player in question has signed a stat dec after the board reopened the case before the player was due to play in finals. I think you can read between the lines and see why this stat dec has been signed.

The club has provided two stat decs denying the allegations.

The investigation tribunal based there verdict on probability as there was conflicting evidence and a decision couldn't be based on clear cut evidence in the case.

As stated previously the player concerned confirmed no money was received and that he never followed up the so called travel money while he was playing for the club. He also couldn't state how much this so called offer was.

The players punishment has been waived.

The decision has caused complete and utter devastation to our players and members. A lot of effort goes into running a football club with volunteers and players putting in a lot of time over the journey and the way the club has been treated by the head honchos is a disgrace.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133307

• Peter Pan
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm not accusing as I no nothing of the case other than what you have said but if there was no payment, what is the players motive for going to the league?

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133350

• KickTheBall
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Paying/offering travel money in C4 grade...... really.
Is the club that desperate to by a flag?

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133408

• premiership hangover
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
This article is on perth now website

WA AMATEUR Football League club Cockburn Cobras have been disqualified from finals and could face a fine of up to $40,000 after being found guilty of offering money to a player.

The Cobras, who play in the C4 division of the WAAFL, effectively the sixth tier of the competition, were last week notified of the decision after a process which began in May.

Club president Andrew Pearce told 6PR’s Mornings with Gareth Parker the ban had stemmed from allegations the club offered travel money to a Morley-based player.

Both Cockburn’s league and reserves sides have been disqualified from finals this season, with the league side’s ban extending to the 2018 finals as well. Financial penalties are still being determined by the independent investigation tribunal who heard the matter.

The reserves side had already qualified for their grand final on Saturday, while the league side, who finished on top of the ladder, were set to contest a preliminary final. They were both replaced in the fixtures by the next highest finisher.

Pearce said the club completely denied the allegations and were left stunned by the WAAFL’s findings.

“I think the rule is fine because obviously the integrity of the competition needs to be upheld,” he told 6PR.

“I think the punishment does not fit the crime if we were guilty.

“We’ve had a lawyer involved in it and he’s currently pursuing further legal options.

“We’ve just got to fight and we’re hoping we can get people power behind us and get the community in support of our football club to get this ridiculously excessive penalty re-adjusted.

“For a club to be ineligible next year and a fine that could potentially bankrupt a club, I think is just a disgrace.”

The Cobras were first notified of the WAAFL’s findings in May, when competition integrity officer Brendan Kays put together a report finding Cockburn to be in breach of the league’s amateur status.

The club appealed the decision to the competition’s integrity committee, who upheld the appeal and referred the matter back to the CIO for further investigation.

After more evidence was gathered, another investigation panel was set up to hear the matter before making their decision last Thursday.

WAAFL general manager David Armstrong said the penalty handed down for such an offence had been prescribed by the competition’s clubs, not the league’s administration.

“It was set by the clubs a couple of years ago as part of an amateur status working party,” he said.

“The clubs wanted a harsh penalty for clubs who were offering money any paying money, or remuneration in the broad sense.

“They’re pretty severe, but that’s what the clubs wanted.”

The Cobras will be fined a sum not exceeding $40,000. The tribunal is determining the final figure as part of its final report.

Armstrong said two Cockburn officials were also found to have conducted themselves in a manner detrimental to the competition, a charge which carries a penalty of up to $5000 and potential suspension from participating in the competition.
Save a tree and eat a beaver

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133412

• Dingo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
You'd think the WAAFL would have to have had some pretty good evidence to impose such strict penalties?
Footy first!

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133415

• Disco Knight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
Ratlife thank you for updating it from your clubs perspective.
I feel for the innocent players & club members who have been affected especially for finals.
I hope that this does not do irreparable damage to your club as I know a lot of people would walk if they had no chance of playing finals the next year?
I really dont know what to say with regards to the outcome as we are all looking from afar?
Knight Footy is the winner!

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133416

• Unholytugboat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Is there a text message from someone at the cobras offering to compensate the player for traveling?

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133461

• Tigerpoint
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22
Overall. There's been a thorough investigation since Rd 6. Stat decs signed and now proof they were countered and dishonest. Cobras activity this season has been at the very least aggressive. And it comes down to the kind of people who are in coaching positions.

No sympathy from me and let me note. Cobras seem to be a small fish to spend time on investigating when A and B grade clubs (and many lover) are spending more than ever. The WAAFL need to stop worrying about a club becoming exstict and come down hard. Put any club caught cheating straight into E1 and fine then the maximum. Note to coaches, players and clubs involved. If you win a flag, it's not legitimate, it's cheating and you're as bad as lance Armstrong. Saying everyone's doing it doesn't make it right.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Panorama

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133476

• Unholytugboat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Listening to the interviews yesterday and reading between the lines.. something has occurred. Officials arguing money never changed hands, the penalty is outrageous etc. Words were chosen fairly carefully.

Cockburn Cobras caught paying players 6 years 7 months ago #133642

• Viper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 59
Check the post above. The bloke states no money changed hands but doesn't say he was not offered money.

I would have thought the offer of money isn't enough to strip teams out of finals. If the guy was paid then yeah but if no money changes hands how can you fine someone?

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 345 guests and one member online

• alahoy

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977