Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69

Notice: Trying to get property 'id' of non-object in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/index.php on line 346
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123638

• CasualObserver
  • CasualObserver's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
The Facebook pages of both Piara Waters and Maddington footy clubs last night posted notices relating to separate Special General Meetings on June 15 where the clubs will vote on whether to merge with each other.

People's thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123660

• Banga
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 6
That would be a good team on the field. What grade would they play though. And what club rooms would they take. Piara did just get an upgrade

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123678

• swansfan4life
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132
It would be disappointing to see Maddington have to merge. One of the traditional Sunday football clubs, they were formed in 1923 and are only 6 years off celebrating 100 years, something only a handful of non WAFL clubs have been able to achieve.
On the other side of the coin, if the club is struggling financially or just cant compete anymore, a merger is the way to go just to keep the club alive. It seems to have worked for one of Maddington's old Sunday rivals Canning who changed their name to Tigers for a few years before reverting to Canning-Victoria Park South Perth, or CVPSP.
This also begs the question how well are 2 of the other Sunday clubs travelling at the moment. Kelmscott seem to be on their knees at the moment and Armadale have struggled apart from a Grand Final in C4 in 2015. Back in the early 1990s a merger was discussed between these two clubs but never went ahead after members of both clubs voted against it. Would it be worth looking at now? I would hate to see it as I grew up watching Armadale, but I would hate to see them or Kelmscott disappear altogether. Maybe going to the Metropolitan FL might be the way to go for Kelmscott at least until they can regroup much like Wanneroo/Kingsway did in the mid 2000's after leaving the Sunday FL.

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123696

• Disco Knight
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 11
It will be a sad day for Maddington but inevitable.
I would of thought a merger with another club in the area and shire would
have been better but not sure if Gosnells, Kenwick or Thornlie would consider this?
Gosnells and Maddington merged in the war years I think and would be a great merger.
Great facilities for both grounds, could have a merged juniors, basically could become a force to
compete with the big boys with depth.
Piara waters were Southern River, now Piara Falcons then will become Piara Bulls.
Basically kills Maddo off.
Wearing 2 different club jumpers in home and away won't last forever.
16km away in another shire
I guess it's up to those running the club and would be interested to hear from Gosnells or Kenwick on their thoughts?
Were they contacted also?
In respect to the club being at Piara neither have colts I think currently.
Forrestdale just up the road have Colts and are trying to build again to 3 sides.
Canning Vale have 3 sides 2 km up the road the other way.

Sounds like an easy fix but I guess if no one else puts their hand up to work on it all that's life.
Knight Footy is the winner!

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123702

• Cantbuyagoal
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
This won't happen, both club members won't vote this in. No one lets their club go just because things get financial tough.
If it was to happen it would only be the senior clubs because their junior clubs are run seperately to the seniors

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123716

• Freofortheflag
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
This is an issue caused by the amateurs.
Why allow Piara to enter the competition when there were already so many other clubs in that area.
At some point the WAAFL need to stop looking at the $$$ and say to themselves "hey if we do add another club in this area it will only weaken the other clubs around them"
Should be a radius/distance inKM rule brought in where as a new club cannot be formed if it is within a predetermined distance to an already existing Ammo club.

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123717

• Tigerpoint
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22

swansfan4life wrote: It would be disappointing to see Maddington have to merge. One of the traditional Sunday football clubs, they were formed in 1923 and are only 6 years off celebrating 100 years, something only a handful of non WAFL clubs have been able to achieve.
On the other side of the coin, if the club is struggling financially or just cant compete anymore, a merger is the way to go just to keep the club alive. It seems to have worked for one of Maddington's old Sunday rivals Canning who changed their name to Tigers for a few years before reverting to Canning-Victoria Park South Perth, or CVPSP.
This also begs the question how well are 2 of the other Sunday clubs travelling at the moment. Kelmscott seem to be on their knees at the moment and Armadale have struggled apart from a Grand Final in C4 in 2015. Back in the early 1990s a merger was discussed between these two clubs but never went ahead after members of both clubs voted against it. Would it be worth looking at now? I would hate to see it as I grew up watching Armadale, but I would hate to see them or Kelmscott disappear altogether. Maybe going to the Metropolitan FL might be the way to go for Kelmscott at least until they can regroup much like Wanneroo/Kingsway did in the mid 2000's after leaving the Sunday FL.

The tigers are now 'Canning South Perth Tigers and a mostly referred to as Canning Tigers. No CSPVP anymore

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123738

• Whitey
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22

Freofortheflag wrote: This is an issue caused by the amateurs.
Why allow Piara to enter the competition when there were already so many other clubs in that area.
At some point the WAAFL need to stop looking at the $$$ and say to themselves "hey if we do add another club in this area it will only weaken the other clubs around them"
Should be a radius/distance inKM rule brought in where as a new club cannot be formed if it is within a predetermined distance to an already existing Ammo club.

Piara Waters were renamed from Southern River - the club was already around just shifted to new facilities & changed names.

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123813

• Harryafl
  • Thank you received: 7
Is their too many pensioners around Maddington,Gosnells, Kelmscott and Armadale these days? Once powerful sides do they not have enough juniors coming through now?

Piara Waters/Maddington merger? 6 years 10 months ago #123933

• Harryafl
  • Thank you received: 7
Sorry nothing personal just a theory of mine was thinking that maybe Perth zones were ageing compared to some other areas.
But as you say are new suburbs there as well have long thought that as the older members in WAFL clubs move on the younger generation may step up more and get involved will see.
Would like to see a breakdown of the ages of WAFL club members maybe we would find Peel has the youngest so there is hope they are slowly growing and building.

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 328 guests and 5 members online

• Success Hill
  • Southerner
  • Danger
  • SD351
  • Mossstreetshark83

Newest Footy Recruits

• MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma