Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 69
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SWFL 2016 8 years 1 month ago #86936

• Will
  • Will's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Season 2016 is shaping up to be a close competition as a lot of clubs look to their younger and local players as opposed to spending big on recruits.

Busselton have being forced to drop player payments altogether as outlined in this article from today's South Western Times

au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/south...ach-player-payments/

This sort of spending on player payments per annum ($100k or more) is quite common in the SWFL. Some of the match payments players are, or are rumoured to being paid are around the $800-$1000 per game! While I understand the desire to recruit players to enhance a clubs chance of success, this has proven to be an unsustainable model.
One must question whether the players being paid those sort of amounts are really worth that kind of outlay?

There is an argument that since 2000, every SWFL club has won a premiership (except the Harvey Bulls, who joined in 2009) so it is just a natural cycle of success. But for the majority of that period, the club who won the premiership has recruited heavily. In the last 5 years Busselton 2012,2014, Eaton 2013,2014 and AMR 2011 all had lists with a lot players recruited from outside of their club. Teams such as Bunbury & South Bunbury also had teams with at times, almost half their team as travelling players and failed to win a premiership.

Although the points system has, to some extent prevented the ability to "buy a premiership" It seems that the unsustainable financial cost incurred to the clubs from paying/recruiting players (overpaying!) has been more effective in "equalsing" the competition. On recent evidence clubs which finish high on the ladder for 1 or 2 consecutive years bottom out and languish at the bottom of the ladder until the war chest is full again.

In my experience, I have noticed a shift in psyche of country football players towards playing for the highest bidding club and in general, players feeling entitled to renumeration. No one is forcing clubs to pay the money demanded by players, but the market is such that if you don't cough up the cash, the next club is more than happy too. I don't know the solution to this problem, but I feel Busselton has made a good decision based on the long term sustainability of their club.

A few player movements rumored at this stage, although there are not a huge amount of clearances coming through, I'm sure they will pick up as we edge closer to the mid April start of the season.

As mentioned in the above article, Busselton have lost 16 of their premiership side from last year. Vice Captain John Meadmore, Marc Randall and former Busselton player Kyle Hams have all moved to South Bunbury. Adam Booth, Adam Dehring, Dan McGinlay and Nathan Bradbury have headed down to the LSWFL to the Manjimup Imperials.

Carey Park will be coached by SWFL Landmark Coach Jamie Nani and have added James Hawksley to their team which finished runner up last year. Matt Martin has moved to Bunbury. Viv Blurton has joined Southerners in the LSWFL. Andrew Rake and Brayden Mann return to the Harvey Bulls. Troy Wells heads to Boulder and Lachi Lawrence to the NTFL.

Harvey Bulls have lost Andrew McDougall, Abe Davey, Kobie Somers and Dan Leishman to the WAAFL. 6 Time Subiaco Premiership player Darren Rumble joins the Bulls. Andrew Rake and Brayden Mann also return.

Eaton have lost Brendan Page and Cody Miller to Donnybrook. Kane, Rhys and Curtis Bloxsidge to the WAAFL and Jesse Hockings to the PFL. Jye Cormack returns from Pinjarra.

AMR are pretty quiet on the clearance front and too far away for any gossip.

Donnybrook have gained Brendan Page & Cody Miller from Eaton. Jason Brennan has headed to the WAAFL and David Roche to the WAFL.

South Bunbury have gained Busselton quartet Jon Meadmore, Marc Randall, Kyle Hams and Mason Hislop. They have lost Shaun Crane and Fraser Millar to Perth in the WAFL and Travis Gray to Bunbury.

Collie have picked up the returning Kyle Shanahan, Blair Malatesta and Alex Tweedie and former Perth player Michael Florio. Classy forward Tony Mirrabella has headed to the WAAFL.

HBL have added Peel Football league players Eli Smith, Braddon Kazzakoff, LLyod Beever and Jay Walton. Ashley Thornton has left to the WAAFL.

Bunbury have picked up Matt Martin from Carey Park and Travis Gray from South Bunbury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SWFL 2016 8 years 1 month ago #86950

• Devonleigh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64
Will, is that why the Onshore Cup has some pretty good footballers playing in it?

Blokes who can’t get a league gig with a SWFL club and are too good for reserves.

SWFL 2016 8 years 3 weeks ago #87269

• Will

Devonleigh wrote: Will, is that why the Onshore Cup has some pretty good footballers playing in it?

Blokes who can’t get a league gig with a SWFL club and are too good for reserves.

Probably one of the reasons mate.

Games in the Onshore Cup are played fortnightly, the training schedule is less demanding and time consuming and games are played on Saturdays.
Having said that there are plenty of players who play in that competition that could be or have been very good League players. Mick Sherry is one who springs to mind.

SWFL 2016 8 years 3 weeks ago #87294

• Tigers16
  • Thank you received: 1
Pretty good write up Will and accurate as well. It is a shame that it has got to the point that players are playing for the highest bidder. Going to be an interesting month ahead as I have heard of a few other moves that aren't official as yet. With Pagey leaving Eaton are you going up against Chad Sandilands when you play Bunbury?
The following user(s) said Thank You: CasualObserver

SWFL 2016 8 years 3 weeks ago #87304

• Will
Yeah I might. Pretty confident I'd go well using the ruck knowledge that David Broadbent and Sean Widdeson passed down to us.

As you said, there are still a lot of players/recruits to come into each of the clubs, was just looking to discuss confirmed/cleared players at this stage. As mentioned, Chad Sandilands is playing for Bunbury along with Aaron Dow, a former Perth Demons teammate.

The LSWFL should be a stronger league for the inclusions down there, especially your Imperials with the Busselton contingent. Is Lils running around down there again?

SWFL 2016 8 years 3 weeks ago #87340

• Tigers16
  • Thank you received: 1
Every time I stretch I hear Widdo's voice yelling at me for being the most inflexible person he has met. Don't forget Spider and his 6 goal effort against Margs down there that day.

Yeah Lills is playing. Moving well and I think he will have a cracker year. Side does look good on paper. How is the move out to the hollow turf of Boyanup going to go for the year?

SWFL 2016 8 years 2 weeks ago #87676

• Will
Will be a bit different. Training at Pratt Road on Monday and Wednesday and Boyanup Fridays.
Got a fair few Boyanup kids coming through so it will be good for them. Supposed to be only be for this year, facilities available April 2017, although the pace of anything involving the Dardanup Shire is known to be slow.

• Page:

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 337 guests and 2 members online

• Shark Tragic

Newest Footy Recruits

• MiltonRutty
  • BhoblhRhync
  • MRanker - Fiverr
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes