Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 4 months ago #161796

• mikeh
  • mikeh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
This recent article on the Swans website caught my eye

It says in part:

The club’s purpose is to build community and develop people. The vision is to be a well-connected and community-engaged football club which improves social outcomes and the sense of wellbeing within the wider Swans community. And the club’s values are to act with integrity, everyone matters, raise the bar to be the best you can, and we fly together (loyalty to family, friends and club).

In November 2018, the club conducted an online survey to get an understanding of whether the perceptions its key internal stakeholders have of the club align with the club’s new strategic direction. The survey included players, staff (permanent and casual), football operations staff (including honorary coaching and support staff), committee members and also coterie group members.

An overwhelming majority of people connected to Swan Districts Football Club have a very positive view of the club. They have an intense sense of belonging to the club and believe the club plays a key role beyond winning football games. This includes a strong connection with the broader community in which the club belongs.
The club is seen to be inclusive, united, financially responsible and progressive. It has a coherent purpose, vision and strategy and plays a significant role in developing people (players and non-players) and helping them be the best they can.

As a member I fully support the efforts that Swans are making to connect with the community and agree that it is the only way to make the club sustainable through the tough times that the WAFL is going through at the moment.

My concern about this article is that nowhere does it mention that the ultmate goal is to make finals and win premierships. It almost appears to imply that winning games is now secondary to the other objectives. I may be wrong but thats the impression I get. Every club has strong connections with their local communities but just looking at a few other clubs annual reports there still appears to be a greater priority for on field success than the other activities. For example Subiaco's report was very focussed on their footy achievements ( as you would expect of course) but still had reports on community, junior development etc.

Am I overreacting? I would be interested in others thoughts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, Blackduck, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 4 months ago #161797

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Given that the win loss column is important it is just one KPI that a club should be measured on over a year, 5 years or whatever period you want!

Other KPI's might be drafted players, players who come through the grades and play 50 or 100 league games, membership, financial outcomes, readiness for folk to sponsor a club and what others think of the club ( of course allowing for the prats and their input) ( a measure would be how many opposition supporters come to the games both home and away)

In the AFL there are two examples of people first processes, one won a premiership and have a very positive outlook and demeanor and one finished last, Swans are obviuosly seeing this trend and seeking to utilise the trend to help them in the move forward.

It is not going to please everyone but I think that if a club wants to succeed it has present as both successful on field and be a place folk want to be part of!
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161801

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
Off the field that is the right direction to take and we are leaders in this field in the WAFL with the long running and award winning V Swans program.
But there also has to be an on field component that being the ultimate goal of winning Premierships, along with providing a pathway for local kids to develop and play WAFL football and if good enough drafted into the AFL...in which the last 2 points (% of local zone boys playing WAFL League & players drafted to AFL) we have been in the top 2 or 3 WAFL clubs for most of this decade, now hopefully we can add to with the Premierships component!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161805

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329
Read Mike's post a few time but wasn't sure how to answer the question.
Swans are trying to stay relivent in there local community. What the Wafl has is a rich history. A team in a declining competition. Losing control of the Colts is a disaster.
Swans on field?? Not looking good in 2019.After 2010 Swans seem to be happy for another 20 years.And making finals and hosting a home final .Seems to be a club objective.The culture at a club like Subiaco is all about winning the Flag every year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161809

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
I wish I was a SD supporter
The following user(s) said Thank You: gtrxuone

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161812

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874

ArkRoyal wrote: I wish I was a SD supporter

AR we consider you an honorary SD supporter!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161819

• ArkRoyal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1215
thanks BH your very kind. I think the strategy is okay provided that it is ballanced with on-field peformance. In this respect, for me, the signing of Hampson was great.

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161830

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273

Careful what you wish for, Ark!!!

Do you understand you will need to sprout a mullet, and start drinking exclusively green cans, or, if you are going up-market, white & black cans?

Hopefully while you are not out and about doing donuts in the XV6 ute. :P

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161832

• gtrxuone
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1329

jackspratt wrote:

Careful what you wish for, Ark!!!

Do you understand you will need to sprout a mullet, and start drinking exclusively green cans, or, if you are going up-market, white & black cans?

Hopefully while you are not out and about doing donuts in the XV6 ute. :P

Jack tink you mean SV6 or XR6

Swans Making Progress With New Direction 5 years 3 months ago #161834

• jackspratt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 273
2 bob each way, gtr. :blink:

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 308 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977