Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Swan Districts - team of the 70's 5 years 5 months ago #160029

• swansfan4life
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 132
This is from a autobiography Stan Moses wrote that hasnt been published but I was fortunate to be asked to look at and edit a few years ago by the late Alan East to see if to could be turned into a book.

Jack was a man whose performance as a coach far exceeded his just reward. Taking over a team that in the previous four seasons had finished 8th, 8th, 6th and 8th for a 15-69 win-loss ratio to a rising graph of 7th, 6th, 4th and 2nd to 41-46-1 draw ratio and two WANFL Club Championship Shields, is reward to look back on with pride.

Sadly during his stay he was always under the shroud of footballs greatest enemy, politics and professional jealousy and even more sadly his tendency to be one hell of a great chap played into the hands of his knockers. “Too weak,” a cry that grew into a parrot type crescendo after failures in both final rounds of 1974 and 1975.

An election had been brewing for some time and no better focus for attack than the coach and those who had appointed him, the story is as old as football itself, no one admits to it but fact is fact. Had merit been extended where it should lie, injury to leading players was our undoing in 1975 and inexperience in 1974.

In 1975 we finished 2nd to West Perth on the premiership table our percentage 117.60, West Perth 108.36, and in our last meeting with them just two weeks before the final defeated them 22-13 to 5-9, the other team to defeat us that final round series was South Fremantle who went down also to us in our last qualifying encounter 19-11 to 9-10.

Nothing can ever defy fact and on those listed Jack Ensor can hold his reputation, both as a coach and a man, as his greatest defence. Circumstances may not have favoured him in the final scenario, but I can assure you, in the assessment of cost to the club, as against result returned Jack Ensor was second only to Haydn Bunton. And when consideration is given to the climate Jack coached in, as against that of Haydn, the issue is very close, both asked little be it self payment or recruitment demands, leaving our club financially secure on their departures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, Success Hill, ArkRoyal, gtrxuone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Swan Districts - team of the 70's 5 years 5 months ago #160041

• Success Hill
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 154

Beasley Hutton wrote: Mike & SH could you tell me a bit more about Milan Trifunovich named on the wing in the 70s side as I dont know much about him...was he a speedy winger, tough, skilful, smooth mover etc?

He had most of those attributes BH. He came through the juniors and won a league B&F for the thirds or the fourths and, if memory serves me correctly, may have played State one year? Anyway, he was quick and agile ...I vaguely remember him towelling up Gary Gillespie on the wing one day at home, and his dark features - especially that mop of dark hair - made him distinctive on the field. Good footballer and cricketer...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 479 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977