Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159479

• DD
  • DD's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1357
As a Freo supporter I'm absolutely wrapped he has landed at Fremantle but I remember when he burst onto the scene a few years ago (2016 I think it was) when he was clunking everything that came his way and kicking bags of goals and probably showing up more decorated team mates like Jeremy Cameron and Jonathan Patton.

I remember thinking to myself at the time, never heard of this bloke before and why? How on earth was he not on Fremantle's or WC's radar? I think he got picked up in the second round in the 20's.

That's why I've posted here on the Swans board. Can you guys shed any light on his time at Swans in his colts year? Did he not stand out? Was he just a punt that GWS took that paid off big time? We all knew who Nic Natanui was before he played a league game for Swans. Rory said tonight when asked by Karl he was 203 cm when he was drafted by GWS, he's since shot up to 207/8 cm.
Get on your bike.
It was Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159481

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015
Rory was recruited from Swan Athletic DD. He played one season with Swans in 2013 when he was 20, so didnt play any colts. He started off in the reserves for 9 games then was selected for his league debut against Subiaco in round 13. He then played 11 more games including the first semi final of that year. Even though his stats didnt set the world on fire,there was an obvious talent to him even in those early days. His mobility and poise stood out to me and obviously GWS saw the same potential and they drafted him at the end of that year. Fremantle have got him when he is in the prime of his career and I'm sure he will be a valuable asset to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, Grump, DD, gtrxuone

Last edit: by mikeh.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159482

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Gee that's amazing mike. Do you know if he played his junior footy in the Swans zone? He must have been a late developer.
Get on your bike.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159484

• Beasley Hutton
  • Thank you received: 2874
DD I dont think Rory played junior footy at all he was playing Basketball until he went down to Swan Ath where his mates were playing for a season and was then spotted by SD and asked to come down to Basso for the 2013 season in which he was drafted to GWS at seasons end. Essentially he had only played 2 years of footy before being drafted. Mike has summed up his season at SD perfectly above. There was also a back story on the SDFC website some years back about how Rory was forced out of school at 14 due to being bullied and was working at mine sites in his mid teens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DD, gtrxuone

Last edit: by Beasley Hutton.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159485

• Grump
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

mikeh wrote: Rory was recruited from Swan Athletic DD. He played one season with Swans in 2013 when he was 20, so didnt play any colts. He started off in the reserves for 9 games then was selected for his league debut against Subiaco in round 13. He then played 11 more games including the first semi final of that year. Even though his stats didnt set the world on fire,there was an obvious talent to him even in those early days. His mobility and poise stood out to me and obviously GWS saw the same potential and they drafted him at the end of that year. Fremantle have got him when he is in the prime of his career and I'm sure he will be a valuable asset to them.

If I recall he got his chance when Wes ..... spat the dummy and walked out ( I could be wrong so no shooting) and the story went from there! The irony is if my memory does serve me was that Wes was touted as a draft prospect.
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, DD

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159491

• MarkOlsen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 514
Rory got his chance that year when Lammie was injured, they stuck with Lobb after that and half way through the year Wes went back to Bunbury.
1 year of ammos and 1 of wafl and drafted - fair effort, is an elite runner - used to ruck all day at WAFL level and enjoyed running all over the park.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DD

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159492

• mikeh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2015

Grump wrote:

mikeh wrote: Rory was recruited from Swan Athletic DD. He played one season with Swans in 2013 when he was 20, so didnt play any colts. He started off in the reserves for 9 games then was selected for his league debut against Subiaco in round 13. He then played 11 more games including the first semi final of that year. Even though his stats didnt set the world on fire,there was an obvious talent to him even in those early days. His mobility and poise stood out to me and obviously GWS saw the same potential and they drafted him at the end of that year. Fremantle have got him when he is in the prime of his career and I'm sure he will be a valuable asset to them.

If I recall he got his chance when Wes ..... spat the dummy and walked out ( I could be wrong so no shooting) and the story went from there! The irony is if my memory does serve me was that Wes was touted as a draft prospect.

I was never a great fan of Wes Lammie, He tried very hard, got plenty of taps and took some marks but he was prone to clangers and I doubt if he would have been able to make it at AFL level. Lobb was a different matter as he seemed to have that classy touch even when he was an inexperienced player. Obviously Harding saw that too and thats why Wes went behind him in the pecking order.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beasley Hutton, Grump, DD

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159494

• DD
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks guys brilliant I knew I was onto a good thing posting this on the Swans board. Great story behind his rise to AFL ranks and I think his best is yet to come. When a couple of you mentioned he was promoted for Wes Lammie I do recall that period. From memory it was Harding's first year as senior coach right? Perhaps shows Harding has an astute football brain.
Get on your bike.

Last edit: by DD.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159496

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
From what I have read about Lobb not only have Freo got a quality footballer they have got a quality person.

Rory Lobb story 5 years 5 months ago #159500

• Freezin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 924
Sounds like all those years playing other sports like basketball definitely rounded the fella into the good sort he is today....hopefully Lobb can be that 50 + focal point Freo are desperate for.....

• Page:
Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 244 guests and no members online

Newest Footy Recruits

• aCoucky
  • whatoma
  • RobertPes
  • Lost WAFL
  • Duncs1977