Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: ub in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65

Deprecated: strripos(): Non-string needles will be interpreted as strings in the future. Use an explicit chr() call to preserve the current behavior in /home/dh_ingvwb/ozfooty.net/templates/hot_cars/js/browser.php on line 65
Welcome, Member
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #115925

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Swandog wrote:

Dirty Weekender wrote: SD 0.0 3.4 4.6 9.8 - 62
EF 1.3 4.5 7.9 8.9 - 57

Goals
SD Noble 4 , Rogers 2 , Banfield 1 , Ellis 1 , Faulkner 1
EF no idea without a team list / don't care

First up Apologies to any EF supporters re this game wrap...no idea who was out there today for you as no budget and only bloke I recognised was the silver fox Peake not that he seemed to do much. Other point of note was how many hipsters are playing at EF with all their little headbands on display

Overall match was a very scrappy lacklustre affair with very little highlights from either side. Both teams struggled going forward with shabby disposal. Maybe it was due to the stifling heat but this was a match fitting of early pre season and nothing more. Good blow out for the contestants but for the 150 odd spectators it was a hard game to watch. Overall I thought EF were slightly better on the day but SD got the chocolates with a good last qtr aided by a growing breeze.

For Swans notable absentees were Riggio who played ressies, there was no Tony Notte either. Notable ins were Blight, Ugle, Noble (not sure if he played last week TBH)
First bounce saw Crowley Ellard Ellis and Nuich in the middle, my boy Faulks relegated to the bench at first bounce once again...hopefully not a sign of things to come. Nuich seems destined to play ruck this year with Cary now wearing Docs old number 23 suggesting he is not playing. Ellard went down at the 7 min mark of the first after a heavy tackling collision, grabbing his jaw and limping..knee on ice not long after signalling the end of his day let's hope it's not serious...appeared to be to the inside of his right leg not ACL. A horrible first qtr SD didn't score and I was thinking about a half time leave. 2nd qtr was an early goal to EF then SD took over for much of it...half way thru the qtr Nic Nat arrived to support the boys from the sideline which I hoped was a sign of better things to come. 2 goals by Noble at the 17&18 min mark followed by Rogers goal at the 21min mark had us back in the contest. We gave away a couple of cheap goals in red time and went in to half time trailing by 7 points. Crowley didn't re emerge after half time, he'd had enough of the heat. 3rd qtr was all EF. SD only got past the half way line a couple of times. A lucky intercept goal to Banfield after some sloppy defensive work by EF our only significant addition to the scoreboard. We trailed by 21 points at the break. Harding with his usual cool head encouraged the boys that the wind would help them get it done if they started to execute better. A good 3qtr time speech although not one for the ages, too early in the season for that with not much on the line.The last qtr was the opposite of the 3rd. With a growing breeze SD finally found some cohesion going forward. A goal to Rogers after a minute started the swing...some brilliant defensive midfield work by Bennell getting the ball to Ellis who went back and neatly executed from 40m out directly in front 7 mins in. This was to be the end of Ellis's day, he came off and stayed off. Still looks way underdone but once fit I'm sure he'll be more than handy for us if he can avoid injuries. Noble found space again to kick truly from 40m out at the 12 min mark then again for his 4th at the 22min mark. Seems we found one in this lad. Much more sure of himself up forward than Gault and Cary. Gault gets himself in good positions but fails to hold his marks whilst Cary was wandering about most of the day like a boy lost at sea. Defence might be his go this year as the other 2 blokes look like bigger weapons up forward. Nuich is in that mix too but who then rucks? Back to the game and some aggressive work from Jessie Turner won the ball for SD. He then kicked it forward and the hard working Faulkner had his head ripped off his neck and against all odds my boy Faulks went back and neatly slotted from 35m out at the 24 min mark to put SD in front which turned out to be the game winner. EF went forward from centre bounce...some good defensive pressure saw Swans clear the ball a little bit too well with it going outta bounds on the full about 70metres out in front of the members. Strangely only 26min had elapsed in the quarter and the siren blew before EF could punch the ball forward with one last hurrah. Game over SD win and sirengate was avoided unless of course it was a SD timekeeper in the box. A bloody short qtr considering 6 goals were kicked. Shenanigans possibly but we'll never know and let's face it who cares. It was an ugly match but a good hit out for both clubs played in good spirits. Neither of these teams are going anywhere on what I saw today and will fight it out for positions 6-8.

Best for SD
Bennell was solid all day in defence. Thought he was clearly our best.
My boy Faulks last qtr went a long way to winning us the match. When he was on the field today we looked better around the clearances. Relegated to the pine with these ex-AFL boys in is a mistake if it continues.clearly Faulks and Riggio back in are our best clearance guys. Ellis to the wing maybe with Crowley playing forward or midfield depending on the opposition. Ellard should be the other main mid. Just didn't like the look of the 3 ex AFL boys around the bounce...they are tagging types rather than elite ball winners.
Blighty- was a joy to see him back in and in the first half in particular his work rate was great. Hope he gets a run at it as he is a quality act when injury free who provides plenty of spark.
Watson and Turner were both solid across half back. Both need to tidy up the odd disposal but 2 quality kids coming through in them 2. Didn't mind the hard working game of the well sun tanned fella Hughes either.
Another new fella to me, bloodnut #32 had a solid second half also. Funny but we seemed to go better in the middle when the AFL boys had left the contest...just sayin :-)
Noble was the best forward on the day. Precise confident goal kicking appears to be his best quality, something our side needs as we don't get it down there enough to waste opportunities...take note Ricky Cary

There you go 42...hope that is informative enough for ya...you didn't miss much tbh except for a last gasp win :-)

On another note, heard from a friendly Demons supporter today that Perth have successfully negotiated a transfer for Nelson Anstey...no confirmation from anyone at SD but I hear a deal has been done

I thought Matty Rogers was in our best too, uses his voice better than anyone else apart from Amesy and as was suggested to me by Ric from Waflfootyfacts he is a real barometre for us at times

Rogers looked pretty switched on last week. Wrapped that he is playing with us again this year especially given the scuttlebutt over the summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #115926

• Dirty Weekender
  • Dirty Weekender's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 374
Shite...yeah major omission there...Matty Rogers was definitely in our best 3 ...had that in my notes oops...also had Howie down as having played a solid 4 qtrs....what is great to see about Rogets is he seems to have that hunger back over the past 2 matches we saw a cupla seasons back, his intensity so far in 2017 is admirable...throw him and a fit Blighty in up & running and we have 2 blokes who can provide much needed spark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swandog

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #115927

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
DW did you mention whether Levi Ridley played. He scored 3 goals last week and looked promising?

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #115929

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Levi Ridley played...ran hard all day although didn't seem to get it as much this week...he looks twice the player he did 2 seasons back...a welcome addition back in to the fold

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #116210

• Cesspit
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 119
Has Murray Newman come back for another tilt.

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #116236

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Cesspit wrote: Has Murray Newman come back for another tilt.

From what has been reported on here he has gone to the goldfields.

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #116286

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Heard today Murray will not be playing in Kal and is exploring other options closer to the city

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #116288

• swan42
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Dirty Weekender wrote: Heard today Murray will not be playing in Kal and is exploring other options closer to the city

Presumably NOT at Basso.

Scratch match v EF 7 years 1 month ago #116290

• Dirty Weekender
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No matter...country footy north of midland is the rumour

Moderators: Beasley Hutton

Search

Keyword

Who's Online?

We have 761 guests and 2 members online

• Froggy
  • Whinnen

Newest Footy Recruits

• ChrisGiple
  • Roberttag
  • Edwinric
  • Lost WAFL